Hi, quite new here need some tips to stop boredom snacking

Options
Hi all,

I've been recording my diet habits without the effort of dieting to get an idea where I go wrong. Wine and some serious snacking seems to be the worst areas. The wine is out the window now family is away but I'm still stuck in serious boredom snacking which makes me go over my calorie allowance everyday. Any tips? Someone suggested gum and a cold glass of water. I'm trying that today. I'm trying to lose maybe 3/4 of a stone by NYE. A stone would be ideal but maybe too much.

Replies

• Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I kept snacking until I emptied my house of anything snackable.. Now I plan my healthy snacks out at the start of the day.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk. Journal your feelings and that can be an outlet for boredom and frustrations. Get the bad foods out of the house and purchase healthy alternatives like fresh fruits and veggies. Find something to do to keep your hands busy, like crocheting or knitting. I don't know how to knit and I am learning how to crochet and have made several scarves for Christmas presents. I am also going to use yarn and hangers to make dusters for my family and friends. That way I can't eat. Take up a craft like painting or sketching is also something that I've tried.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Boredom snacking occurs cause you are bored, right? So keep busy, keep yourself occupied with anything. Maybe join groups, etc so that you aren't home or maybe go for walks, exercise, watch movies, do your chores... anything that keeps you from getting 'bored'.
  • ciaraos27
    ciaraos27 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. It seems to creep in at about 2.30pm at work though but am going to use the journal idea there. Bought a small low cal juice drink to give the feeling of 'treat' without the calories. I'm usually good at home unless friends/family are round. I'm starting a boot camp tonight and with a running club this week to get the exercise habit back in the evening. Also bought a bag of chopped carrots in case anyone brings the sweets in so I have something to much on if it gets too much.

Smokey19, the duster idea is great! I have loads of wire hangers at home I can play with.

Also, found painting nails a good trick to stop picking in the evening when watching TV.
  • ciaraos27
    Options
    Ha! My 'sweet treat' was 146 cals! Talk about label being misleading! So far so good on giving into the office sweet treats. Normally I would have cracked by now.
  • sabrakay1
    sabrakay1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When you feel like snacking because of the boredom, why don't you try an exercise instead. Nothing really to break a sweat, but maybe some squats or lunges or biceps curls. Or maybe even some stretching or a short walk.
  • ciaraos27
    Options
    I've started doing a few more short walks. We don't really do 'lunch breaks' in our office so am taking my time out to just do a quick walk round the block. So far so good.
  • indeed11
    Options
    Such great comments here!! When I was really craving a snack and needed to be good I would go brush my teeth. It curbed the need to snack immediately for me.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Mindless eating is my enemy also. It's about mind over matter. You either need to train yourself to stop snacking for no reason - or get up every time you think you want a snack and go take a walk or step outside and breath and break out the resistance ball and do some ab crunches or whatever to get your mind OFF of food. If these options are all worn out - try taking out ALL bad snack foods in your house and only keeping things like Celery, baby carrots, fruits like apples or pears or something healthy so that when you grab something its not so bad for you.
    I try to stay very busy - sitting on the couch is usually when my mind starts thinking about 'whats in the kitchen', when i'm not even NEAR hungry or needing a snack! haha...

when you are at work - make sure you are prepared by bringing healthy snack foods with you so that you can snack and not feel guilty.

Remember: Mind over Matter.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    What I do:
    - drink a glass of water
    - drink a tea
    - eat a carrot (works for me, probably not for everybody)
    - do some form of exercise
  • ciaraos27
    Options
    I'm getting the hang of he snacking through sheer willpower. My boss told me today that if you clench your left hand into a fist the points your nails hit apparently hit an acupuncture point that shuts off cravings. I've been trying to today as due to avoiding drinking I am back craving cigarettes. I'm a bit skeptical but I haven't been obsessed with food and *kitten* the last 2 hours.:happy:
  • 949BeachMom
    Options
    I like to eat a half cup of shredded chicken with 10 wheat thins n some tapatio hot sauce .
    Or ill have green tea in a tall glass with 2 tea bags n honey . Or Oatmeal with honey n a little milk.
    Or Coffee with whipped cream n cinnamon on top with a tiny pinch of sugar.

But if ive snacked too much ill try to keep busy like clean the kitchen or restroom . Or go for a walk . Dont forget water.
  • thedecuirs
    thedecuirs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The things I have tried over the years with some varied success:

Eat meals and snacks, even snacking only at the dining table, no computer, phone or book to distract you.
    Eat all snacks, no matter what they are, with a plate and fork/spoon.
    Get something you have to do with two hands, knitting, a 3D puzzle toy, kinetic sand (never dries out, awesome stuff), jewelry making (stringing beads, etc), painting (who's hungry while smelling paint fumes), etc.
    Burn a scented candle (depending on you, food scents might help curb the craving, or make it worse, so experiment).
    Go for a walk
    Look up how many calories your chosen snack would be, see how many minutes more you would have to add to your usual workout routine to make up for it.

Lastly, if you really want the snack after all the above, go for it. But then make up for it when you work out. Holding yourself accountable will help reduce the number of times you give in to the snack craving.

Good luck!
  • ciaraos27
    Options
    All really useful tips! I think crunch time is 3/4pm when the cake comes out on the office and I've nowhere to go! I keep going over fat on my daily calories from snacking on nuts. I'm staying away from all sugar and only eating carbs after workouts so need some other choices I can keep in my drawer at work.
  • ciaraos27
    Options
    Oh, I tried some beef jerky while the cake was being handed out. It was ok but it's made me feel a bit sick!
  • tracystire
    tracystire Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I tend to grab my ipod and get some pumping music going, pop a piece of gum in my mouth and go find something to do! Helps tremendously!
  • tracystire
    tracystire Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Keep some nuts, dried fruit or protein bars in your drawer for work...that way when the cake comes out, you can just snack on them. Or fresh fruit & veggies if you have a fridge or can keep them cool. Some people may laugh at you but trust me, there will be others who are glad you are doing this and will follow your lead.
  • ciaraos27
    Options
    Thanks! I think work have now become used to my 'odd salads' for lunch. They're now being pretty supportive. I'm in week 5 now and finding the dedication needed hard going. I guess it'll be another few months before i see any real results.