Ketogenic Diet

Options
I am thinking of giving a Ketogenic diet ago, I have tried shakes etc in the past but I love my food! I have been looking for meal planners, recipes etc and can't find any good sources, anyone know any where I can get started on.
Also if anyone has tried this, what was your experience like? How was weight loss? It is easy to live without bread/pizza etc once in fat burning mode? I am hoping for some decent weight loss but with something I can stick to long term, any advice would be greatful

Thanks in advance x

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    check out groups on here but if I can inject some unsolicited advice from someone who's been doing Keto for more than a year....

are you SURE this is something you want to do?....you can always go lower carb without going the full monty of Keto.

There are lots of substitutions and not always good ones either, unless you've abstained for so long that you wouldn't recognize the real thing anyway. :blushing:

I'm not trying to dissuade you, but I'm T2D and I find it rough at times to eat < 20 g of carb a day, but that's just the way it has to be fore me.

My husband on the other hand, does it diligently and finds it as easy as falling down :grumble:

check out this link for info: http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

eta links
  • OliviasMama56
    Options
    Do some reading and pick a plan you can live with. Yes, the cravings do go away! Weight loss is individual, as with any way of eating. There are good support groups on FaceBook. I'm new to here as far as logging food. I'm trying to match macros set up for low carb high fat (ketogenic). Good luck!
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Because you said that you tried shakes in the past and now you want to try the keto diet, it makes me believe that you're looking for something quick and easy. That's really not the way to go about doing this, as it leads to yo-yo dieting. Try to change the way that you eat long term. And if that's the case, is keto something you really want to do? But forgive me if I'm mistaken.

I've been eating a primarily keto diet since January 2012. The cravings do go away, and it does get easier. Weight loss is similar to those eating at a calorie deficit without low carbing, but you lose your water weight very quickly at first. The benefit to low carbing, however, is that a lot of people find themselves more satisfied and therefore better able to maintain a higher deficit. I do find that eating this way has lead to a huge increase in the amount of veggies I eat and my overall nutrition.
    30 day meal plan: http://www.ruled.me/30-day-ketogenic-diet-plan/

Recipes - google these blogs:
    ruled.me
    linda's low carb
    chowstalker with the 'paleo' search feature
    caveman keto
    I Breathe I'm Hungry
  • Runescape86
    Runescape86 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.

I do enjoy the effects of a keto diet, as in the past I have done the shakes type and even though being on a VLCD I have had tonnes of energy, downfall to these diets is no exercise and I didn't actually learn anything while doing these.

I would like to eat and do exercise and not feel how I do if I eat a carb heavy meal. I did want a quick result at first and I have learned my lesson with my weight back on and more!

I will look into the sites suggested, very grateful and hopefully will have a success story to share in the future. :)
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    The only thing you are doing is creating a caloric deficit with a Keto style diet (for now). For me, when I did Adkins about 15 years ago, I was eating around 30-50 net carbs a day and not counting calories...eventually I plateaued because in the end, I was eating at my maintenance level and trying to maintain that style diet (again for me) was not sustainable. Now that I know better, I eat a balanced split of macro-nutrients that I can live with no matter if I'm eating at a deficit to lose or surplus to gain. And I'm not saying don't do Keto, as I see it's validity for running in short terms for aggressive weight loss in situations, but long term and for life....just don't see it... as there is no reason to.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I tryed it for about 8-10 weeks. I did lose some weight, however it's not a lifestyle. I would never do it again. I do love foods high in fat however I love my carbs more. I rather have well balanced meals then, try to get a quick fix.
    I did gain the weight back, I didn't keep it off, because I went back to eating bread, pasta and rice :) Good Luck!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of giving a Ketogenic diet ago, I have tried shakes etc in the past but I love my food! I have been looking for meal planners, recipes etc and can't find any good sources, anyone know any where I can get started on.
    Also if anyone has tried this, what was your experience like? How was weight loss? It is easy to live without bread/pizza etc once in fat burning mode? I am hoping for some decent weight loss but with something I can stick to long term, any advice would be greatful

Thanks in advance x

Can you explain what you know of this "fat burning mode"? Is this the mode that doesn't lose significantly more fat than higher carb based diets holding cals and protein or the fantasy of a metabolic advantage?
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance x

Can you explain what you know of this "fat burning mode"? Is this the mode that doesn't lose significantly more fat than higher carb based diets holding cals and protein or the fantasy of a metabolic advantage?

I think they mean once their body is using dietary fat for fuel instead of carbs. There are advantages to the diet for some, and I think that as long as they're aware of the pros and cons, as well as the myths, their decision to start the diet is fine.
  • 365toHealthy
    365toHealthy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My understanding of this diet is that is an extreme diet and studies have shown that it can help people suffering from epilepsy.

Usually the body uses glucose from carbohydrates for fuel but the diet forces the body to use ketones - made when the body burns fat for energy - instead of glucose for its energy. It does this by depriving the body of carbohydrates.

Most often the ketogenic diet involves consuming a lot of fat from cream, butter and oil. Therefore, it is really important that the diet is nutritionally balanced.

My personal opinion is do it if there is a medical reason, but this can be a tough diet to stick to and it is likely that you will be unable to maintain, fall off the wagon and gorge on all those yummy carbs your body will be crying out for (speaking from years of experience)!
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find it much easier to stick to a diet that has me eating around 60g of carbs a day. Maybe the weight loss is a little slower, but it is easier for me to maintain than if I were eating only 20g of carbs a day. I try to do at least one very low carb day a week, right around 20g, and I find that this helps. Also, the carb and sugar cravings do go away for the most part, as do the 3pm sugar crashes. However, the other night I had a dream about a big bowl of pasta! Luckily though I woke up and the craving wasn't real. :tongue:
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I don't do the Ketogenic Diet myself, but here is information for a facebook group that is REALLY awesome. The lady in charge is super amazing and she will answer all of your questions.

Banting Lean on Me

https://www.facebook.com/groups/249225028534527/?ref=br_tf
  • supnicole
    supnicole Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    downfall to these diets is no exercise and I didn't actually learn anything while doing these.

I would like to eat and do exercise and not feel how I do if I eat a carb heavy meal

I lift 5x per week and do cardio 3x per week (both LISS and HIIT) and I've gotten stronger while on keto. Not sure why you're afraid to exercise.
  • Runescape86
    Runescape86 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    downfall to these diets is no exercise and I didn't actually learn anything while doing these.

I would like to eat and do exercise and not feel how I do if I eat a carb heavy meal

I lift 5x per week and do cardio 3x per week (both LISS and HIIT) and I've gotten stronger while on keto. Not sure why you're afraid to exercise.

On these low cal keto diets are you advised not to exercise, well my consultant said I can do 5 mins tredmil a day :/