Do you count long shopping trips as exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I do not, I view it as part of living even if it isn't often.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    To the extent that my Fitbit records it as walking, I suppose I do. But dang, five hours of shopping? I couldn't go there.
  • MariadfdCruz
    MariadfdCruz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    NO, the shopping doesn't count, even if they are 5 hours.
    I am also sedentary and my calories are also 1200. I am doing 10 minutes of cycling when going to the gym and I am not counting this. Usually is slow cycling and if I count them, I will gain weight LOL

Maybe you should plan the shopping and don't overdo it. It seems you got stressed out or you lost your time to focus about eating healthy. I always carry a market apple and a bottle of water with me when shopping, so I don't do crazy eating. Though, it was only a meal, try to recover that day or next day, doing some extra exercise or eating as healthy as possible.
  • NotASoul
    NotASoul Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I tend not to count exercise partly because I can't be bothered and partly because when I do I don't lose nearly as much weight. Tbh if you go over your calories just on one day it probably won't make that much difference - I've been over a couple times in the past two weeks and it hasn't had much effect. (that said, I have been under quite a lot so this may have balanced it out...)
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I don't always eat it back.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't but if you are sweating buckets and tired after your 5 hours shopping trip you can probably log it as light walking and get away with it. Honestly I can see that you would burn a few calories just wandering round the shops for 5 hours. I just can't really see how you spent 5 hours JUST shopping that would drive me barmy.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    How about changing your setting to lightly active to see what calories per day it gives you for that? (Then you can change it back to sedentary if that's right for you, but at least you'll know the calorie difference between the two activity levels). Chances are it will be around 150-200 difference.

If you logged it as exercise of 5 hours leisurely walking MFP would probably give you a huge figure of 800 plus or something, but it's probably better to treat it as a lightly active day.
  • BonworthVonFattyPants
    BonworthVonFattyPants Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    No.

Our lifestyle is based on our average days, not our extremes.

Sure, I might go on a shopping bender and walk a few hours (though let's be honest - if you walked the mall a few times in 5 hours then you were, overall, moving less than 1mph on average - even if you were in the Mall of America) - but so what? On days that you don't do anything (we all have them) do you adjust your calories downward? I would guess not. None of us do.

You had a busy day. That is awesome! But you'll have lazy days too. And those are awesome. In the end it all averages out.
  • bluebox123
    Options
    How about changing your setting to lightly active to see what calories per day it gives you for that? (Then you can change it back to sedentary if that's right for you, but at least you'll know the calorie difference between the two activity levels). Chances are it will be around 150-200 difference.

If you logged it as exercise of 5 hours leisurely walking MFP would probably give you a huge figure of 800 plus or something, but it's probably better to treat it as a lightly active day.

That's a great idea, thanks!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I do not, I view it as part of living even if it isn't often.

I agree and unless you are reaaaaally sedentary, I would call wandering around a mall a stretch for logging exercise calories.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    no i wouldn't count walking around the mall as exercise…i also don't log my dog walks and i am set at sedentary also.
  • bluebox123
    Options
    NO, the shopping doesn't count, even if they are 5 hours.
    I am also sedentary and my calories are also 1200. I am doing 10 minutes of cycling when going to the gym and I am not counting this. Usually is slow cycling and if I count them, I will gain weight LOL

Maybe you should plan the shopping and don't overdo it. It seems you got stressed out or you lost your time to focus about eating healthy. I always carry a market apple and a bottle of water with me when shopping, so I don't do crazy eating. Though, it was only a meal, try to recover that day or next day, doing some extra exercise or eating as healthy as possible.

Thanks for your advice! I think it would really help if i planed ahead and brought healthy snacks with me. I was stressed out trying to find clothes that fit me in time for work training the next day, that i lost track of time.
  • SongbirdLandy
    SongbirdLandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia armband and I have burned as much as 1200 calories walking around in the mall and as little as 150 calories. I would say count it as walking slow like another poster said and only put half the time, unless you walk around a good bit on a daily basis. If so I wouldn't count it.
  • skyeny
    skyeny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't, but why not)) Just don't eat those calories back ) It's probably pretty cool to see how many hrs you spent shopping, doing laundry, cooking, having sex, etc. )))Then you can print that out and show it to your husband when needed lol
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    No. If you feel the need to count shopping as exercise you're not working out enough.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    This is why I love my FitBit... all of that is counted for me. If I didn't have it, I probably wouldn't count the walking as exercise because it would be almost impossible to figure out how long I was actually walking, at what pace, etc.