I have to start somewhere I guess...Newbie

Options
I am pretty new to this and am trying not to be so hard on myself when I over eat or have cravings. I have been logging onto MFP for 13 days straight to really track my food no matter what I ate or how much I ate. I have been measuring (with cups, just bought a food scale which should be here soon) and just trying to make general better choices. I am drinking tons of water and taking my vitamins, not focusing on being perfect or some health guru, but just generally being a better me. I'm trying to make this a lifestyle change and just taking it very slow.
I'm 28, 5'9 and currently weigh 244, I started at 250 so I am down about 6 pounds (about 4.8 this month) so I am losing slow but its still something. The question I keep having though is "is my slow progress too slow with someone who has so much weight to lose?" I feel like everyone else who has loads of weight to lose talks about how quickly and how much weight they lost in the beginning. Is it okay to take it slower or should I really be upset I haven't lost more? Just wanted to see what everyone thought.

Also looking for some supportive friends to help keep me on this journey. :smile:

Replies

• lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    4.8 pounds is nothing sneeze at when it comes to losing weight. I still have 190lbs to lose and I usually lose around 10-12 pounds a month, but as a man it is easier for me, not fair I know. At your current rate you are doing just fine. There will be times when the weight loss stalls for a while and you will feel unmotivated, but just remember to keep going and eventually your body will catch up.

Go pick up a 5 pound weight and then see if you still think 5lbs in a month is slow. 5lbs is a lot more then you would think.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

You can decide.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    What matters is progression and seeing result. If you feel like you want to step up and lose a little more weight. Don't talk about it be about it.
    Can I recommend you exercise and weight train. You will see amazing results that way.
  • happypenguin13
    happypenguin13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback! I have been doing some work in the gym and walking once a week at lunch, but I have not been logging this as I do not know currently how many calories I am actually burning. I ordered a Polar FT4 HRM and am waiting for it too be delivered either tomorrow or Monday. Once I get this I plan on getting a little more serious about the exercise portion of my journey. I dabbled in the gym a few months ago and found that I really like to cycle so I am looking into doing more of that as well.
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Do measurements too, because it's more than just the weight on the scale. You might find yourself gaining muscle and your weight might stay the same at some point. Good luck!
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback! I have been doing some work in the gym and walking once a week at lunch, but I have not been logging this as I do not know currently how many calories I am actually burning. I ordered a Polar FT4 HRM and am waiting for it too be delivered either tomorrow or Monday. Once I get this I plan on getting a little more serious about the exercise portion of my journey. I dabbled in the gym a few months ago and found that I really like to cycle so I am looking into doing more of that as well.

I never log in workouts for the same reasons.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you like cycling, try a spin class. They are a-freaking-mazing, butt kicking workout.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    You can't compare your success to someone else. Just concentrate on what you're doing right and keep going. As long as you're losing, that is all that matters... regardless of how long it takes to get there. It's about the journey, not the destination. Good luck! PS. if you don't think 5# is much go pick up a 5# dumbbell and carry it around all day :)
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    You can't compare your success to someone else. Just concentrate on what you're doing right and keep going. As long as you're losing, that is all that matters... regardless of how long it takes to get there. It's about the journey, not the destination. Good luck! PS. if you don't think 5# is much go pick up a 5# dumbbell and carry it around all day :)

Unless you make a bet with your best friend. There the destination comes into play. But if I fall out the sky by arrival time I still win.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I started not too far from where you are, and I have never lost more than 1.5 lbs a week. And those type of losses were usually after being stuck; I have averaged a pound a week for most of my weight loss, and the last three months that has slowed to 0.5 lbs a week. The only thing to worry about on losing slowly is getting discouraged. Sometimes I did, and still do, especially seeing people dropping weight rapidly. But I ask myself, do I want to be where I am now or where I was last year? Next year will I be happy that I continued to lose 0.5 lbs a week (or even maintained), or that I gave up and put it all back on? As long as you are headed in the right direction, it doesn't matter how long it takes.
  • tolynkenl
    tolynkenl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It can be discouraging when you don't see the weight come off as fast as you want it to. I am pretty new to this as well, about 1 month now. I haven't lost much either. However, I AM losing and am no longer gaining. I was on a weight-gain spiral after hitting menopause and I couldn't seem to stop it.

Now that I am on MFP, I am tracking (although some days I forget) and getting more exercise. The gain has stopped and the weight is starting to come off slowly.

Don't give up! Just keep at it. Sometimes when you exercise you may see a weight gain and sometimes you will even see a minor gain in inches. Your muscles are toning up and you haven't lost as much fat yet. In time, that will change, too.

The biggest adjustment for me is the mindset change from "I'm on a diet" to "This is my healthy lifestyle" - very different mindset! The first leaves you feeling deprived and frustrated. The latter is the key to keeping motivated and consistent. I still struggle with the mental side of things, but I'm getting better about it.

Good for you for beginning this journey!

Lynn
  • happypenguin13
    happypenguin13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Do measurements too, because it's more than just the weight on the scale. You might find yourself gaining muscle and your weight might stay the same at some point. Good luck!

I should do measurements as I know the scale lies! Its going to sound really weird, but I am kind of scared that I will measure inaccurately. Or maybe more so that I won't measure the same way twice. Does that make sense? Lol lots of new things to learn on this journey!
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    4.8lbs in a month is not bad at all! The best way to lose weight is slow. The body and mind then has time to adjust. It turns from a diet into a lifestyle.

If it's too slow for you, take another look at your numbers.

And probably the biggest thing you'll see on these forums is to start strength training as early as possible. You won't bulk up!
  • akscharaswak
    akscharaswak Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have not lost much since I have been doing this either. And I don't pay much attention to the calories burned when I log exercise, it's more of a way for my doctor and I to see what and how much activity I'm getting so that I can adjust it to more fit my needs.

I have been doing this for almost 3 weeks I think (I have a bad sense of time as well as direction...) and have just today found that I've lost 3.5 lbs. So even with all the insane activity I'm getting on Tuesdays (not actual workouts, I'm not up to that yet), I'm still losing fairly slowly. At least, nowhere near as quickly as I want to be. But good things take time, of course, so I have to be patient.

P.S I'd love to be friends if you want, I'm looking for more friends and support on here. :happy:
  • tolynkenl
    tolynkenl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Pick specific spots to measure so that you know you measure the same spot each time. For example, you can measure your waist at the point you bend sideways. That is easy to find each time - just bend to the side to be sure you put it on the same spot. You can measure your hips where your leg creases when you lift your leg. If you measure your neck, you can measure over your adams apple. If you are measuring your bicep, you can measure one handwidth (4 fingers) up from the elbow crease, etc.

I find my spots, close my eyes, and measure - then I'm not trying to hit a specific number and purposely pulling tighter, etc. It is what it is. :-)

Don't measure too often - once/month or so is good. Then you will have similar water retention levels (if you have regular cycles).

Good luck!

Lynn
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Remember that slower weight loss---although frustrating---is better in the long run. It gives your skin time to contract so you won't look so wrinkley at the end. Take it slow, don't give up, and you will gradually feel and look better. I agree with measurements once a week--same day and time always. I have weigh in every thursday morning after swimming, and measure myself then. As the months pass and you think you're not making progress, go back to look at your starting measurements and weight--I guarantee you will smile. :happy:
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Don't judge yourself by others. It took me almost 14 years to lose 90 lbs but I'm pretty sure with all the changes I've made I'll never see any of those 90 lbs again!

I'm a firm believer in making the changes that are right for you. It sounds like you're on the right track, remember to forgive yourself when you slip, no day is ruined and everyone has setbacks. Get in your fruits and veggies, your protein, dairy and grains, drink nice cold water or heck hot water if you prefer no judgements here and if you have a little left over in your macros and want a little treat then have it. Don't be afraid to take on some personal challenges both food and exercise related and my biggest advice..........HAVE FUN with the process.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have my husband measure me so I am not tempted to look and I don't have to worry about the same spot... he is pretty good at knowing where to measure .... and he won't try to give me a false number :bigsmile: