Vegan Protein Powder Woes

Options
I've tried a lot of different protein powders and shakes in the past, but with recent health issues I need to change up my diet. I'm trying to find a protein powder that is vegan, and preferably gluten free as well. Trouble is, I haven't been able to find one yet that is easy to drink and does not have stevia in it.

I used to really like the Nutrisystem protein shakes, but they are not vegan/dairy-free. They were amazingly smooth and were not sweetened with stevia, which I find has an aftertaste. This is the standard I'm trying to match.

I tried the Arbonne Essentials powders and the texture was amazing, it would completely dissolved with just water. I didn't need to mix it with anything else to get a smooth texture. But... the stevia! They don't have an unsweetened/unflavoured option. I would try to mask the stevia aftertaste with flavour additives, but it never really worked great.

I am currently gagging my way through a bag of SunWarrior Warrior Blend Natural, after reading all the great stuff about it. There's no stevia, so once I've gagged it down I'm fine, but the texture is SO gritty like drinking flour water. I haven't found a way to make it pleasant at all, not even blended into a smoothie with banana and coconut milk.

Is there any vegan protein out there that completely dissolves into water, with no little gritty bits, that isn't loaded with stevia? After my experience with SunWarrior, I'm not sure I can trust all the online blogs of people who have never tried a non-vegan protein shake before.

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    there are a variety of pea protein powders that have just pea protein and no added ingredients. NOW is the first brand that shows up in google.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I love Sunwarrier but hate the new Warrier blend (pea protein). The original is much better. Not gritty and no funny aftertaste like the warrier blend. You could try that. There are samples available at the store usually so you don't have to buy so much just to try.
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have heard that Vegan 1 is good, but I steer clear of plant based proteins because in general they are awful. They don't mix as well. They certainly don't taste as good. Taste is personal preference, though.

I haven't tried that natural SunWarrior. I have tried the chocolate. Not something I could take daily, but certainly much better than others I have tried (Raw Protein from Garden of Life and Vega One). I actually didn't mind the Raw Fit when I just put it in my banana ice cream. As a drink though, I would probably hate it, but I'm picky.
  • VeganCappy
    VeganCappy Posts: 122
    Options
    You don't need any protein powders. Even bodybuilders were shown to not see any change in nitrogen balance above around 13.5% protein by calories.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    You don't need any protein powders. Even bodybuilders were shown to not see any change in nitrogen balance above around 13.5% protein by calories.

why would a group of individuals who have trained their bodies to be efficient users of protein be completely applicable to non elite or strength training individuals in a caloric deficit?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I have the Vega One stuff and it's okay. I don't like any non-vegan powders much either though, so YMMV. It does the job if I'm desperate for some calories from protein and tastes okay. The chocolate one is pretty good and the vanilla almond is less good. I think I once tried a chai flavour (I think it was by Vega One, anyway) that was my favourite, but the berry one was awful.

Fortunately, Vega One comes in individual packs too so you can try it without buying a big container.

ETA: I should mention I'm not a vegan, though, I just hate whey. So take my advice with a grain of salt if that matters.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options

Is there any vegan protein out there that completely dissolves into water, with no little gritty bits, that isn't loaded with stevia? After my experience with SunWarrior, I'm not sure I can trust all the online blogs of people who have never tried a non-vegan protein shake before.

Nope. Protein shakes are not meant to be lovely Chocolate shakes from Sonic. They are meant to fuel your body. Vegan especially actually has seeds and a few other things. So it will not be smooth unless you pulverize it to within an inch of its life.
    I use this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007S6Y6VS/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    People complain about flavor but that is not what protein shakes are meant to do so I just drink it and move on
  • VeganCappy
    Options

why would a group of individuals who have trained their bodies to be efficient users of protein be completely applicable to non elite or strength training individuals in a caloric deficit?

Exactly. You need less protein if you are not trying to rebuild and repair muscle.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Nitrogen balance is a terrible metric for muscle-protein-synthesis.
  • VeganCappy
    Options

It does tend to over estimate the protein we need, but it is the standard at present.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options

It does tend to over estimate the protein we need, but it is the standard at present.

So you are stating that anyone, even bodybuilders, would see no benefit in consuming more than 13.5% of their calories in the form of protein? For example, if someone were to eat 2000 calories (let's say they're cutting while training) they should only eat 68 grams of protein per day? Or let's say they're a male weighing about 175lbs who is lifting and eating at maintenance, they should only eat 95 grams of protein?

Please cite your sources, because this flies in the face of basically any nutritional advice I have seen.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

It does tend to underestimate the protein we need, but it is the standard at present.
    Fixed
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Try Vega, it's the best vegan option I've tried.
  • fit_rox
    fit_rox Posts: 83
    Options
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I know you said vegan, but then you mentioned dairy-free specifically. If it's the dairy itself that's a problem, maybe you could try egg protein powder? Jay Robb is the only one I've tried. Egg protein is more expensive than most other kinds, but it's also the most efficiently absorbed by the body (the scale goes from 1-100, and I think egg whites have a score of 100).
  • fit_rox
    fit_rox Posts: 83
    Options
    I know you said vegan, but then you mentioned dairy-free specifically. If it's the dairy itself that's a problem, maybe you could try egg protein powder? Jay Robb is the only one I've tried. Egg protein is more expensive than most other kinds, but it's also the most efficiently absorbed by the body (the scale goes from 1-100, and I think egg whites have a score of 100).

Vegan diets exclude dairy products.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

I know that. But she mentioned health issues, so I don't know if she's strictly vegan or just looking for something without dairy. Eggs are not dairy.
  • Jisatsumisui
    Options

I know that. But she mentioned health issues, so I don't know if she's strictly vegan or just looking for something without dairy. Eggs are not dairy.

I'm allergic to milk proteins, so anything with whey is out. My Dr. is concerned that I may also have another meat/dairy protein allergy, and has suggested I go on a elimination diet and eat vegan for a month to see if symptoms improve, and then gradually add back different animal proteins to see what my body can handle if anything. I love my proteins, and was (and hopefully will be able to continue to be) a very big meat eater. My Dr. suggested finding a protein supplement to help with the headaches until I can figure this whole not eating meat and dairy thing and get enough protein.

I didn't even know egg protein powder was a thing, thanks for the info! It's definitely something I'd look into when I can start adding different animal proteins back into my diet. It sounds so much more appealing than the sand-shakes I'm currently stuck with!
  • Jisatsumisui
    Options

Thanks for the tip! This is local-ish to me, I will have to check to see if I can find some samples. Most of the complaints I see are about the flavour, and not specifically the texture, so it might be decent. Flavour is easy to fix with juice or almond milk, don't know why people always complain about it so much.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    The problem with texture is what the source of protein is. Vega used to be really good because it had 5 different sources of vegan protein. However since it's inception, they have cheapened the product and changed the formulation (now it's Vega One) so in my personal opinion its just 'ordinary' now. You will be hard pressed to find one that does not contain stevia. Anything that is unsweetened will generally taste like dirt. If you really don't want the stevia, try Garden of Life Raw Meal. (tastes like dirt) You can add it to whatever ingredients you want in your smoothie. Texture is a problem for me too, so I drink my smoothies through a straw... always. Even Vega and Vega One when I do have them.

I currently drink Genuine Health Vegan Proteins +. I like it, and the texture is as smooth as the original Vega.

Also, if you are simply looking to increase your protein, you could try a supplement such as Chlorella (blue-green algae) it's got piles of protein and is what makes the original Vega green. You can add a powder to food / smoothies or you can take a capsule.