PCOS Ladies

Options
For any ladies with PCOS, I am just curious as to what helped you knock off the weight. I am doing pretty well, just looking to try something different. I have cut way back on sugars and carbs, eat lots of veggies and lean meat.

Replies

• mrsmitchell0510
    mrsmitchell0510 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'd love to hear some PCOS weight loss success stories too because right now I am struggling!!
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    i'm just starting out and i have PCOS, so what's worked for you?!??!?!
    seems like the harder i try, the more i gain!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    According to the doc, I don't "technically" have PCOS... but somebody needs to tell my body that because it acts like I do! So what has helped me: cutting carbs (i've kinda slacked on this lately and my weightloss has come to a SCREECHING halt) so I'm almost positive that's really what did it. Also, I stopped doing so much cardio and started lifting. I haven't been doing as much of that either.... so there you go. Good luck!
  • RJKontos
    RJKontos Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I was diagnosed with PCOS back in 1998. I've been fat, thin, in-between... Anyway, to lose weight I have to cut back on carbs and sugars, although I still eat wholemeal bread, pasta etc but once-twice a week.. I also need to exercise, walking, running, cardio mainly but now I'm adding some very low impact weight lifting. If you have belly fat, my misery, I suggest standing up abs (can't stand crunches). One step at a time and please, be kind to yourself, I have been awful to myself and my body and I am trying to take care of it now before it's too late. All the best.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    sorry this is off topic, but how were you diagnosed with PCOS. I've had a sinking suspicion I have it, but my doctor told me my thyroid levels were normal. Is this the main indicator?
  • danisilva8077
    danisilva8077 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Exercise, exercise, exercise. I've had PCOS for about 15 years. It can be very difficult to lose the weight, but for me adding in at least 30 mins of moderate exercise 4-5 days per week and cutting back on the refined sugars and white flour has been the key. This also also helps if you are trying to get pregnant. Each pregnancy happened for me only after about a 25 pound weight loss. We tried for over a year with our second.

With PCOS, it's not so much about cutting calories as it is about cutting out sugars, refined sugars especially, and white flour. I gained quite a bit of weight with my pregnancies, but I was able to lose around 40 pounds after the first baby by eating more natural foods (veggies, whole grains, low-sugar fruits, etc.) and adding in the exercise.

Good luck!
  • queenbekks
    queenbekks Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Sadly, really watching alcohol intake is one of the most effective things for me with this. lol, I'd rather give up just about anything else!
  • maireailbhe
    maireailbhe Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The only thing that ever seemed to help me was going vegan. When I stick to that, I seem to lose weight AND feel good (i.e., have energy, don't feel so depressed, etc.) at the same time. But when I go back to a more omnivorous diet I seem to have a harder time with everything. (It also saved me money, which was nice!!)

I DO definitely recommend that if you would like to try that, be sure to do some homework so that you have a balanced diet that is not overwhelmed by processed food. There are lots of yummy vegan products out there, but as with anything packaged, they do tend to have lots of salt and are expensive. Cooking homemade meals is your best bet. Do it one day a week (like on a weekend) and you'll have healthy food ready-made for the week instead of needing to buy packaged stuff.

Sorry for the rambling! Hope some of that helps at least a little! Just my own personal experience. :) Good luck!
  • RJKontos
    RJKontos Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed after too many tests: U/S, blood tests including full hormonal tests (my testosterone levels were sky high!), thyroid levels perfect, glucose tests, fasting glucose tests etc... I had most symptoms: irregular periods, belly fat, not much acne, oily face skin. I'm not hairy as one may expect, only my upper lip and chin. Oh, and I have hot flushes. If you have questions, do ask!
  • ils_1231
    Options
    ^^ thank you -- yeah ive never had testosterone done. i might look into this more. ive always had a hard time losing weight....
  • danisilva8077
    danisilva8077 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ils,

If I recall correctly, they do a few things, including a physical exam and interview. A number of blood tests should be done, especially blood sugar, insulin, and hormone levels. A couple of the major things they look for are irregular menses, acne, excess body or facial hair, and high blood pressure.
  • bamawards
    bamawards Posts: 10
    Options
    I was diagnosed way back in 1996, by blood tests and an ultrasound that showed the traditional "string of pearls" around my ovaries. It helps to have a really good gyn who knows how to treat you.

My success has come from strictly watching my intake, especially the MFP daily recommended sugar intake. I have to keep that on target to lose weight. I eat a lot of lean meat, and try to increase my vegetable consumption, but I'm really bad at it. I love carbs! I try to take a least half the bread off of any sandwich item I eat and try to make sure I get a lot of protein.

It's not easy losing weight with PCOS but It can be done. I'm not on any medication, I'm over 40 and I have PCOS - but I am still steadily losing weight by paying very close attention to what I eat and doing cardio 4-5 times per week. Down 12 pounds in two months since I re-started (ticker only shows 7 because of a regain from last year), You can do it!
  • jenniferv38
    jenniferv38 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17 years old. Over the last 21 years I have battled every PCOS symptom and then some (I feel like the PCOS poster child). I have been most successful with weight loss when I cut the refined sugar and exercise, exercise, and exercise some more. It's not easy for sure but it can be done. In my experience, the more weight I lose the less symptoms I experience and the less symptoms I have the easier it is to lose weight. However, the opposite is true too. The more weight I gain the worse the symptoms and the worse the symptoms the more weight I gain. Feel free to send me a friend request if you would like :)
  • ils_1231
    Options
    ils,

If I recall correctly, they do a few things, including a physical exam and interview. A number of blood tests should be done, especially blood sugar, insulin, and hormone levels. A couple of the major things they look for are irregular menses, acne, excess body or facial hair, and high blood pressure.

how much excess body hair is considered excess.. hope that doesnt sound dumb.
  • StephVa22
    StephVa22 Posts: 28
    Options
    I have found out that you have to be STRICT while trying to lose weight with PCOS. This is what has helped me lose 19lbs since March 29:

First of all I work from 8-5 M-F, have a 9 year old son who is in baseball, football, and karate. I also go to school. With that being said; I wake up at 415 every day, get to the gym around 430. I do cardio every day (a minimum of 30 mins on the interval setting of the equipment of choice: due to flat feet, I avoid the treadmill). Every other day, I incorporate lifting. I use the Jaime Eason Live Fitness 12 week trainer, and after those 12 weeks are up, I plan on getting into actual lifting. I stay below 1800 cals a day, eating pretty clean. And drink tons of WATER WATER WATER!
  • StephVa22
    Options
    I am 29, but when i was 14, I had sever pain in my right side. Doctors thought my appendix ruptured, but upon testing, refered me to a Gyno. They did an internal ultrasound, and my ovaries looked like honeycomb. I never had a regular period either, had hair places girls don't like, and had been overweight since 2nd grade.
  • StephVa22
    Options
    "happy trail" on tummy, hair on face (upper lip, chin, I also had "sideburns")
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    i was diagnosed about 10 years ago. my road to diagnosis started with me going to the dr. complaining of missed periods and inability to get pregnant....after my diagnosis i realized the other symptoms that i had too, acne, weight gain, inability to lose it, and excess hair!
    many long stories later, and fast forward a few years, i lost some weight (i don't even know how, it seems like literally i woke up one day and it was gone), i got pregnant and have had 3 kids without even trying (literally, each one was unplanned!).
    fast forward again 7 years and i'm at my heaviest...
    it has only hit me literally this week that my PCOS is 'back' (it never leaves i don't think)...as i've always had a bit of extra weight and always with the excess facial hair, i literally have to shave my chin, upper lip and sideburns EVERY morning! but the acne is back with a vengance (a year) and the constant gaining....
    at first i blamed the mirena, and i truly believe it played its part, but i've had it out for about 2 months now, and no change!

everything i read about PCOS again (re-educating myself) is to follow a diabetic diet = severely limited carbs and sugars!!!

good luck ladies!
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    ps. i have also just started taking Vitex (chaste berry/angus cactus) as that helped me in the past.
    and i am also taking Maca and bladderwrack

hopefully these herbs help speed up the process by getting the hormones back in balance!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I limit added sugar and grains and focus on getting .8-1 g of protein per lean pound of body weight. I don't count carbs. I exercise 6 days a week and take a few lunch time walks most weeks. All in all, I just focus on eating well and moving more and I haven't found it especially hard to lose weight even with PCOS.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!