Where to eat in NYC around Times Square?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Going next week and we'll be there... Any recommendation of a kid friendly restaurant in the area? If possible with good low calorie options. I know there are chains in the area, but was wondering if there was some local treasure or something. Any kind of food is fine.

Replies

• asheserin
    asheserin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sapporo Ramen. So yummy and healthier options than most of the touristy things you'll find there. http://www.sapporo-nyc.com/
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Roxy's!!!!!:drinker:
  • janine2355
    Options
    oh my goodness, I just went to look it up and it said closed!!! They were open since im a kid!!
  • janine2355
    Options
    churrascaria platforma. I have not been there is years but it is amazing!!!
    Also shake shack the one that is one 8th ave and 44th
  • Francl27
    Options
    Aaaah keep them coming!
  • janine2355
    Options
    oh and there's Carmine's. They serve family style italian food.
    Virgils' barbecue. All of these have websites so you can check out the menu's prices, etc. I use to live in Manhattan so I get super exicted talking about it. I love it there!:laugh:
  • janine2355
    Options
    I know you had mentioned you are french. Here is another good one http://www.lemadeleine.com/dinner.htm
  • Francl27
    Options
    We have little kids though so we don't really want to move too much. We're going to an exhibit there and will be done around lunch time. It's just a one day trip... taking the train up.

It doesn't have to be healthy but we're going in vacations the next day and don't want to overdo it, lol.

Thanks for all the ideas, will look those up!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    If you like Korean, walk south to Herald/Greeley Square then turn east, there's a plethora of good places.
    I've heard good things about - and been meaning to try - Reichenbach Hall, which is around there (but perhaps not a family restaurant).
  • janine2355
    Options
    What you really should do is not eat around times square. In my opinion your best option would be to head downtown, east or west village, little Italy, Chinatown etc.... If you are driving or don't mind taking the train then Queens and Brooklyn have great restaurants. If you are looking for lower calorie options you're basically limiting yourself to chains. Coming here and going to chains is a waste. It truly is. If you are here for a few days I'd say just hit up a couple of restaurants, relax and enjoy the food.
    West Village is my personal favorite to eat. But it depends on how you are on time and what your doing. He is right, but if you can't there are still great places around times square that are not too touristy
  • janine2355
    Options
    I just read your post about the exhibit and staying for the day so then just stick around times square. Does your daughter like American Girl dolls? The store is right over there. It unbelievable! and there' the M&M store, but I can't stand that place but kids love it!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    do not eat around times square. over priced, and nothing but chain restaurants.

check out Pio Pio, on 34th street, between 3rd and 2nd. it's peruvian food, chicken and rice and beans and other traditional south american food. it's not exactly "kid-friendly" because it is small, but if you get there early enough you can be accomodated.

i also like cuban food, and there is sophia's cuban cuisine on 23 and madison. no frills, more like a buffet, but the food is outstanding.

and getting around new york city is easy. just get on the train!!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Going next week and we'll be there... Any recommendation of a kid friendly restaurant in the area? If possible with good low calorie options. I know there are chains in the area, but was wondering if there was some local treasure or something. Any kind of food is fine.

I have tried these two close to Time Square, not that expensive, can eat on the go.

Chipotle - about 2 blocks from Maoz.

Maoz Vegetarian Restaurant
    Maoz Vegetarian is a chain of falafel fast food restaurants, serving purely vegetarian fare with a vision of "spreading the vegetarian lifestyle worldwide".
    Times Square
    558 7th Ave (Corner of 40th St)
    New York, NY 10018
    Tel: 212-777-0820
    Hours of Operation:
    Monday – Thursday 11:00 AM – 01:00 AM
    Friday - Saturday 11:00 AM – 02:00 AM
    Sunday 11:00 AM – 12:00 AM
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    We've eaten at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. in Times Square with my son when he was 3, but I agree with Capt _ Apollo in that you should look for something better nearby
  • motherofdragons84
    motherofdragons84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Do you like sushi? This place is pricey but located right in Times Square http://www.bluefinnyc.com

Also... If I was going to NYC, I would eat wherever I wanted, just within moderation.

Some of my favorites (not really times square area because of the tourist trap)
    - Fat Radish (Farm to table concept)
    - Morimoto
    - Union Square Cafe
    - Rosemary's (off Greenwich Ave.)
    - East Pole (Upper East Side)
    - ABC Kitchen
    - Jons of Bleecker St. (BEST PIZZA in NYC and worth the wait around the block) <-- promise :)

Eat up!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden

dude, i know you're joking, that's why i'm not getting mad.
  • motherofdragons84
    motherofdragons84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden

THIS IS THE LAST PLACE YOU SHOULD EAT IN NYC.

There is so much wonderful food there... Stay away from tourist traps and chain restaurants. Everything is a metro ride away. :)
  • Francl27
    Options
    I just read your post about the exhibit and staying for the day so then just stick around times square. Does your daughter like American Girl dolls? The store is right over there. It unbelievable! and there' the M&M store, but I can't stand that place but kids love it!

Probably doing the M&M thing. Might stop by American Girl but maybe not LOL.

I know, I don't really want to eat there, but I just can't imagine dragging the kids through Manhattan, especially as they'll probably be starving by the time we're out of our museum. We can walk 10ish minutes either way though.