Exercising with low blood pressure...any tips??

Options
ylor89
ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
Hi Team!

My blood pressure has always been on the low end. I average around 90/50. I used to run, but then I started getting dizzy or lightheaded at the end of my run. My doctor recommended that I eat something salty like crackers before running. That was helping a bit, but my head still feels "fuzzy." I'd have to lie down on the grass or sidewalk for a few minutes to feel better.

Then a few months ago, I had an incident where my blood pressure dipped to 90/48 and I passed out. Now I'm finding that doing other exercises (like Zumba) is making me lightheaded when it never did before. If I walk into a room where the air is thicker and warmer, I start to feel lightheaded too. I make sure to stay hydrated, but I'm not sure what else I can do.

Any suggestions for someone hoping to run a marathon someday?? I'm starting to think that's not possible...

P.S. I do plan to see my doctor again to discuss this. I just wanted to hear others' suggestions. I'm hoping I'm not the only one dealing with this!

Replies

• JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options
    I'm afraid I don't have an answer, but just wanted to drop by and say you're not the only one! I've always had low blood pressure, and know exactly how that lightheadedness feels, especially in a hot and stuffy space.

As I've got older, I've learned to spot the signals earlier and now can generally manage fine. (When I was younger, I used to pass out regularly.) Keep your salt levels up at all times - remember we sweat out salt during exercise, so you may need to increase your salt intake more than you did prior to exercising. I like salted popcorn :smile:

Also, if you start feeling lightheaded, try and get somewhere cool or cold, which will also help raise your blood pressure. Not always possible, I know, but worth bearing in mind.

Sorry not to be more help. Good luck, :smile:
  • ice_fire_89
    Options
    I have naturally low BP too. I do a warm-up and have pre-workout to give me a boost (stimulants raise BP). I find the best help is changing positions (sitting to standing, squatting to standing) slowly, so there isn't a drastic change in BP and I don't see stars and feel light-headed. When I was running in high school, I had Gatorade and ate a couple hours before a race.
  • ylor89
    ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! I had to drink quite a bit of Gatorade during the weeks after I passed out. I completely forgot about that. I will have to add that and more salt into my diet. I like to run right when I wake up before breakfast, but perhaps I'll change my diet a little too. Thank you again! I'm glad I'm not alone in this. :)
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough and move slowly between positions ie lying down to standing. Instead of gatorade, add a pinch of salt to your water. Bit healthier than sugary Gatorade.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Current resting BP is 94/50. Um, yeah. So, I guess I'll be drinking the Vitamin Water Zero as a regular running aid. I have been getting some wooziness since I started back on MFP/exercising. I guess I know why!