Moobs go away

Options
I'm starting to try and push past my nerves while going into the weights section of the gym avoiding the feeling that everyone is starring at me, I've read that stronglifts is a great routine and I will try that out very soon. But my moobs are making me more nervous than anything else especially in public and wearing a thick sweatshirt all the time. :{

Replies

• SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    I'm starting to try and push past my nerves while going into the weights section of the gym avoiding the feeling that everyone is starring at me, I've read that stronglifts is a great routine and I will try that out very soon. But my moobs are making me more nervous than anything else especially in public and wearing a thick sweatshirt all the time. :{

Nobody will really notice or care. Just get in there and commit to work on the weights!
  • Yanagibashi
    Yanagibashi Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Every other man in there lifting was once either flat chested or sporting moobs. I say go for it.
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You may get a few looks at first(new person in the gym), and possibly a comment or 2(there are jackwads everywhere), but stick too it, and you will find that people will be impressed with your gains. Down the road, someone will likely come up and tell you they notice your committment. Don't worry about everyone else.GO FOR IT!
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    The gym is (or at least should be!) the last place anyone will judge you. Not a single person in that gym was born ripped and toned - those that do look that way work really hard to achieve and maintain that look! Everyone will understand that you gotta start somewhere! Better to be in the gym working towards your goals than sitting on your butt doing nothing!! :-D
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Everyone else is probably focused on their own workout. Go for it.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

Nobody will really notice or care. Just get in there and commit to work on the weights!

This, no one cares, we're all in there focusing on ourselves, that's why they put mirrors on all the walls. Just get in there and work on you, don't sweat what others are doing.

Rigger
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Every other man in there lifting was once either flat chested or sporting moobs. I say go for it.
    Truth.
    Mine is pretty flat.
    Just go in there and KILL those weights! Cardio too.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    main thing to remember no matter where you but especially when at the gym.

YOU ARE THERE FOR YOU!!! Not anyone else. Do your thing. Sport the moobs until you have pecks that you can flex. Then when the next guy comes in and has moobs, you can tell him that he has a friend in you because you have walked in his shoes.

Take pics throughout your progress also. Its an awesome way to compare where you were and how far you have gone, plus its all sorts of awesome to show off your accomplishments when the moobs are gone ;-)
  • KaleDOG
    KaleDOG Posts: 37
    Options
    I went to the gym after reading strong lifts site, but when I got there is was clearly peak hours and everyone that was stronger and intimidating was there, I waited at the other side of the gym for like an hour to get an opening but when I walked in I immediately felt like all eyes were on me when I barely got in a few steps.

So I turned around and chickened out :{

any tips, I feel like I cant do anything
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym after reading strong lifts site, but when I got there is was clearly peak hours and everyone that was stronger and intimidating was there, I waited at the other side of the gym for like an hour to get an opening but when I walked in I immediately felt like all eyes were on me when I barely got in a few steps.

Spend some cash and setup a home gym. It's the way to go for sure, especially if you are looking to do stronglifts 5x5. Buy a power cage, bench, barbell and some weights.
  • RibStabsHeart
    RibStabsHeart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm in no position to tell you what you should and shouldn't take, but if this kind of anxiety is something you deal with on a daily basis, you should maybe talk to a doctor about it to get something to help you when you get that feeling in your gut that won't go away.

If it's not, then you're probably like me -- I JUST started going to the gym, and felt very intimidated by all the people there who are doing big reps and know how all the machines work. I realized that I had to put all of that aside and just focus on the job at hand: doing MY workout at MY pace. Yeah, I started out doing 50 lb chest presses, but I felt no shame because A) Everyone there, at the end of the day, is solely focused on their own gains, and B) There's no point in rushing things and hurting myself when I'm trying to work at my own pace.

Do what feels comfortable to you, and do your best to not fixate on those around you. Put on some music. Go into each activity with a clear goal, and crush it; don't let that little voice in your head get the best of you. Maybe try and avoid peak hours at first, or do cardio when there's too many people hogging the stuff you'd like to use. Once you get comfortable in your own skin and with your own routines, you can zone out and do what you need to do to better yourself without worrying about the folks that can bench you without breaking a sweat.

Just my $0.02.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I think people in the weight area are more likely to judge you for bad form and poor gym etiquette than how you look.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Can you get a session with a personal trainer to show you around the weight room? Helps for the first few times to get the hang of how stuff works and to not feel like you're all on your own. They'll also help you get form right.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

Walk up to one of those big intimidating guys in between sets and ask him for tips, tell him you're a newbie, he'll probably be one of the nicest, most accommodating people you have ever met. No one in that gym is going to rack your skull with a barbell, or scream at you for being new (unless you come to my gym and don't re-rack your weights, then I'll jump in your $#@!.) Seriously bro, just ask for a little advice, lifters are always up to discuss their program, or their max weight, rep ranges, diet, and supplements. It's just not that serious, we all started out the same way you did.

Rigger
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I understand! Most of the time, nobody cares, but I am a bulky, strong looking woman and I get red when I exert myself so I get those obnoxious stares from young guys who are probably going to tweet later about how gross I am. I am very thoughtful as a gym-goer, wipe down the equipment, ask if anyone needs to work in, make sure everyone has enough room, no grunting or anything, but sometimes people are just jerks.

**** 'em, basically. I get around the jerks by bringing a friend with me and by concentrating very hard on improving my routine. Also if you're not already bringing music with you, I would suggest that.
  • petter26
    petter26 Posts: 9
    Options
    Great Depression you nailed it.

I see new guys come in and do half squats or deadlift with terrible form. That is what makes me cringe, not their appearance.
  • petter26
    petter26 Posts: 9
    Options
    And Rigger is dead on. Ask somebody for help. Most likely they will say learn to Squat, Deadlift, and Bench Press properly. Then after a year (yes a year) incorporate other exercises.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    The first day is always the hardest. Bring a friend and figure it out with them, ask a employee for help, or ask a friendly looking stranger in the free weight section. Most people love to talk fitness and help a fellow friendly gym goer. Just ask them for help unashamed and confidently.

You're going to look back on it and think that wasn't so hard.
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Does your gym offer personal trainers? If you go in and make an appointment with a trainer, they will figure out a good plan with you, help you with your form, and it will be way less scary because you have someone experienced right by your side.

If that's not an option, I would buy a home gym.

That's what I did, as i felt the same anxiety about lifting (and still do). For me, it was just scary since not only am I really really scrawny, but I never see women lifting down there. I don't know, I guess if there were other women, I could go down there and get advice from them or at least know that I'm not the only one, but it's all men. I do have social anxiety, for what it's worth.

So, I bought my bars and weight plates and bench pretty cheap by finding something second-hand, and that was all I needed to get started. I can lift in the comfort and social safety of my garage.

If you want to go to the gym though, ask an employee when the weight room is the least busy so you can plan to arrive on a day where you'll get a chance to get comfortable there
  • KaleDOG
    KaleDOG Posts: 37
    Options
    I'll give it another shot Monday,and a different gym with the proper squat rack etc, I'll call and ask when the gym is least busy, and ask someone for help.

I'm practicing squats at home, i'll get some recovery drink by vega since I have college classes in the morning. atleast I may be able to squat the bar :{ gotta keep myself motivated because I want to get stronger :)