week 1 and no weight loss :(

Options
End of week one and no weight loss :( is that normal? Feeling really discouraged anyone else had the same experience?

Replies

• easeintofitness
    Options
    If you are only weighing once per week you may see that the scale doesn't show the number on your weigh in day. This can often be due to normal fluctuations in water weight for women who still menstruate. If you are working out, you may have replaced some of the weight you've lost with muscle. Muscle is heavier than fat, but it burns more calories than fat so it will essentially make you lose weight more effeciently in the long run. Don't give up!!
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    A week is but a blink of an eye in the lifespan of a weight loss program ..

Have a plan, stick to it and have patience.

P.S if you open your food diary - we may be able to help more.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    It's only 1 week. Stick with it. And make sure you are accurately weighing and measuring your food. I know it can be discouraging, but hang in there and the scale will cooperate. Definitely don't give up!
  • Kath1391
    Kath1391 Posts: 138
    Options
    I didn't lose anything until week 3,keep at it :)
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not gaining muscle like someone suggested. Open your food diary
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The scale doesnt indicate progress. I always tell my friends this. I dropped 12 pounds in a week--wasnt even noticeable. The real progress shows up gradually with the months of hard work. Stick with it, it'll be worth it. Space weigh ins too. Try once a month for the truest accuracy of weight lost. I say go with measurements or pictures, the purest indication of progress Best of luck.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    A week is too little time to tell if there's anything you need to change. Also, you may not always consistently lose on a weekly schedule even if you're set to lose x amount per week...mine likes to drop once every two or three. So hang in there for a few weeks and see how you go.

In the mean time, to ensure more accuracy, make sure you weigh yourself at the same time of day each time (I like to do it in the morning after I have gone to the toilet) Also it is a good idea to take your body measurements in conjunction with the scales. You might have lost some inches, who knows?

Try your best to consistently log everything you eat, even bites, cooking oil etc, get some kitchen scales if you don't already have any, and weigh your foods. If you're exercising and eating back calories, be aware that MFP may over or underestimate calorie burns, so not eating all of them back and looking at purchasing a heart rate monitor may be the go to ensure greater accuracy there.

Your weight on the scale will go up and down, and this could be for a number of factors such as how much water you've had, how recently you had a bowel movement, how much food is in your digestive tract, how many carbs and sodium you have had, whether you're over on them (This can make the body hold on to water) My weight will usually always go up when I have gone over on sodium.

I notice you seem to be new here, so this might be of help to you also.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • tbsevents
    tbsevents Posts: 1
    Options
    I too did not loose until Week 3 when I saw a drastic drop of about 6 pounds on the scale. I was determined to keep at it because if I knew that I was eating right and exercising, there could be another cause. Hang in there. :flowerforyou:
  • sophiejones1010
    sophiejones1010 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was thinking it might be water weight as I've had bacon this week so thinking my sodium is a bit high plus it's 'that time of the month' thanks for your advice really helps
  • sophiejones1010
    Options
    Sorry didn't realise my food diary was private
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    are you weighing your food? This is the most common noob mistake. Guesstimating portions can be inaccurate enough to cancel out your deficit.... even with volume measurements, these can be really inaccurate too. Measuring liquids by volume is fine, but stuff like pasta, you get air gaps and it's really easy to overfill the cups, so that's where the inaccuracy comes from. A food scale is a really good investment for this, and it's easier than you'd think to use it, if it has a zero function you just put the plate on the scale, zero it, put on the food, record the weight, and that's it, you can zero it again before putting each kind of food on the plate, and you have an instant and accurate record of what you've eaten and the calories logged will be that much more accurate.
  • sophiejones1010
    Options
    i'm not weighing my food but if anything i'm eating less calories than i've put down so I really don't think it's that
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not gaining muscle like someone suggested. Open your food diary

:laugh:

eta: not being a smart @ss, your comment genuinely made me smile
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food! If nothing else it gets you into the diet mindset of tracking what you eat....you WILL be surprised at how many calories you are actually eating....yesterday I decided to weigh a tablespoon of peanut butter powder that I usually put in my shakes only to discover that what I was calling a tablespoon was actually almost TWO tablespoons according to the weight. So I have been miscalculating the entire time....not a big deal but you can see how this could be a problem if it was happening across the board. Weigh your food!
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This is not a diet but a life time change.With life there are good and bad days,weeks,months and years.It's been a very slow ride for me but all and all I feel good.
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Also ..... I notice you've set yourself up for just 1,200 calories yet are consistently eating fewer than that!

1,200 is not maintainable long term and at 182 lbs, is not enough.

As others have said - weigh your food accurately and meet your targets.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    This has already been suggested, but I'm adding it again because it's important. You're just starting out & this is the perfect time to re-evaluate your plan. You want this to be for good, right? Read all the information and use it to build a plan that will make you successful.

You don't want to lose it fast - you want to lose it forever. The only way to do that is to make some serious life and mindset changes. Best of luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • luca15306
    luca15306 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    give it a month, then give it three months...it will take a while for your body to adjust..
    Also make sure food is accurately logged, I made this mistake for years! weigh and measure everything, especially at first, and forward planning is brilliant for lower calorie lifestyles, means you can plan the treats too :)
    Best of luck, It will happen :)
  • sophiejones1010
    Options
    Also ..... I notice you've set yourself up for just 1,200 calories yet are consistently eating fewer than that!

1,200 is not maintainable long term and at 182 lbs, is not enough.

As others have said - weigh your food accurately and meet your targets.

People keep saying to eat more but i'm not actively trying to eat less than my 1200 calorie goal, I am genuinely full and don't need to eat anymore... I think a lot of my weight gain was to do with drinking too much beer
  • sophiejones1010
    Options
    Noticed i'm going over on my fat allowance on a couple of days by like 5. Is that something that could affect my weight loss significantly? Most of it is good fats from avocado etc