To all binge eaters only, what has worked?

Options

Replies

• onmyown70
    onmyown70 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Sabina - thank you. I don' know who I will turn to as I'm so ashamed. I'm not in the US. i have one friend who is also a BE but others who may struggle with their weight but don't get binge eating.

I am going to look at triggers, and timings I'm already aware of, any time during the day can be a trigger time. For some bizarre reason, in the evenings my moods lift (usually) and I don't get the urge.

Thank you everyone, I'm going to read everyone's posts and write what I have taken from each down. Sorry if I have missed anyone off in my replies- it's because I am too forgetful to remember the names and haven't managed to figure out how to see all the previous posts when replying - doh! Please don't think I haven't valued your posts! the response is amazing

Thank you all... the struggle continues
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Binge eating is a typical go to activity for binge eaters the moment they are bored. What worked for me is taking up a hobby i loved and that took up a decent amount of my free time. I would sit there with my stomach rumbling and by brain going *kitten* off stomach im busy painting!

If you are too busy with cool stuff to eat then calorie control rapidly becomes an easy business.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    There were certain foods I was eating only to trigger the pleasure centers in my brain. Arguably, the entire snack food industry caters to this habit. Except for the most destitute, those who simply can't afford better food, no one eats cookies and chips for nutritional value. So I've just stopped eating those foods altogether. There are less fattening ways to trigger those pleasure centers.

Get your mind out of the gutter. I was thinking about taking up skydiving.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to be a wolf-down-my-food kinda girl. That's why I follow the IF protocol of 20/4. (intermittent fasting). It let's me satisfy eating large quantities of food in a very short window every day. HOWEVER, I am still mindful of my calories and macros and exercise schedule. I've lost 17 lbs since May 1st on this protocol, so it's working for me and quite frankly, I'm losing cravings for certain triggers I used to have.

Good luck!

Edited: I will also add, this type of schedule keeps you OUT of the kitchen as you are preparing food less during the whole day, just for that 4 hour eating window. My eating window is between 4 and 8pm.
  • TeresaAlice1968
    TeresaAlice1968 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your input I really needed that advice :)
  • sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    problem is he wants the food and keeps buying it and just says I need to exert more control.

Your husband needs to realize this isn't just you being weak willed or lazy, and he needs to support you getting professional help for your disordered relationship with food.
  • flow2512
    flow2512 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have been a binge eater since I was tiny. I have been slim and bigger and always binge ate. I have posted on here before but again seeking support. i had a day today whereby mu husband was at home and brought a bag of raisin loaf, I had "one slice and was in full binge mode (I am not anti carb but for me, one bite leads to a temporary feeling of euphoria and an extreme urge for more!).

It's worse at certain times of the month 9sorry guys) but other times it has no rhyme or reason. I tad to find, foe me keeping trigger foods (i.e. those I binge on, out of sight helpful) but I am ashamed to say when I am in binge mode I am like a crazed woman, seeking anything I can find, I will even frantically drive out to the shops to find bread/cake/cereal to binge on. I am ashamed of it and have posted before.

If you haven't been a binge eater thenI think you will find it hard to understand, I am just seeking advice from those who have suffered. I say suffered as it isn't a happy place to be, well I lie, it can feel euphoric, combined with feeling compelled to just want more even when your stomach is hurting, you feel sik, full, you have other things to do but eat- yet all you want to do is eat and eat a

Hi, I feel for you, when I first started out, I used to binge on bread - anything that was bread, cakes, then once I had one bite, it was like I had to carry on.
    When I decided to get rid of the weight, I was 215 lbs, the best for me, was to eliminate it altogether from my calories ate, I gave up bread and cakes, and after the first week, I didn't miss them, and I have lost 75 lbs now and very shortly, will be starting to maintain! And I still don't eat bread, cakes - I just think of them now as a waste of calories . If I want a 'sandwich' I make one using large lettuce leaves, instead of the bread. You can make a mean BLT with lots of filling for a fraction of the calories.

I use the either/or method now - if I really fancy something sweet, I look at it, say a scone with butter and jam, for 500 cal and say to myself, would I want to it this little thing, gone in a minute or would I rather have:- a dish full of strawberries, an ice cream and a chocolate bar, that will last a lot longer, or the cream scone, and I usually choose the more option.

Good luck x
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have been a binge eater since I was tiny. I have been slim and bigger and always binge ate. I have posted on here before but again seeking support. i had a day today whereby mu husband was at home and brought a bag of raisin loaf, I had "one slice and was in full binge mode (I am not anti carb but for me, one bite leads to a temporary feeling of euphoria and an extreme urge for more!).

It's worse at certain times of the month 9sorry guys) but other times it has no rhyme or reason. I tad to find, foe me keeping trigger foods (i.e. those I binge on, out of sight helpful) but I am ashamed to say when I am in binge mode I am like a crazed woman, seeking anything I can find, I will even frantically drive out to the shops to find bread/cake/cereal to binge on. I am ashamed of it and have posted before. I have a long way to go, but I am proud for having lost what I have. For the past year I have managed to not put on weight just by getting rid of binge foods.

If you haven't been a binge eater thenI think you will find it hard to understand, I am just seeking advice from those who have suffered. I say suffered as it isn't a happy place to be, well I lie, it can feel euphoric, combined with feeling compelled to just want more even when your stomach is hurting, you feel sik, full, you have other things to do but eat- yet all you want to do is eat and eat a lot.

If anyone else suffers

For me it is getting rid of trigger foods and eating whole foods. I cannot have my binge foods in the house, like cheese, cookies, cake, pizza, peanut butter. That is the only way to maintain my weight. To lose I need support and motivation through meetings and going deeper spiritually. I am doing Weight Watchers meetings and an online bible study on overeating with a mentor ( kind of like free counseling) and growing in my faith and both are helping quite a bit. I have lost 7 lbs in a few weeks.

It sounds extreme and like something with an eating disorder would do but it really helps me to maintain my weight. I decided when I reached over 300 lbs and started having trouble walking that I could no longer have the trigger foods and had to give it up completely. I am not giving up my mobility for food not matter how good it tastes. I am still having some issues with fears of giving into a binge but I have lost 30 lbs since I gave up my trigger foods adding in the past few weeks of losing weight.

I am like this too. I read about posters on here who eat everything they want in moderation and I am envious! I think I will get there some day but I have learned that right now I just cannot have certain foods in my house.

One book that I have heard good things about is 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food. I just started reading it myself and I loveIit so far.
  • Lettee4
    Lettee4 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    doing intermittent fasting has helped me. its when you only allow yourself to eat within a certain time frame. anywhere between a 1-8 hour eating window time frame. and outside of those hours you arent allowed to have more than 50 calories- so low calorie drinks are okay. you can save up all your calories for a small amount of time and have a feast. i have my eating window from 5pm-midnight at the moment, which is usually the time frame i binge if i do- so if i happen to eat a lot at least i've saved up a lot of calories to spare.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Sabina - thank you. I don' know who I will turn to as I'm so ashamed. I'm not in the US. i have one friend who is also a BE but others who may struggle with their weight but don't get binge eating.

I am going to look at triggers, and timings I'm already aware of, any time during the day can be a trigger time. For some bizarre reason, in the evenings my moods lift (usually) and I don't get the urge.

Thank you everyone, I'm going to read everyone's posts and write what I have taken from each down. Sorry if I have missed anyone off in my replies- it's because I am too forgetful to remember the names and haven't managed to figure out how to see all the previous posts when replying - doh! Please don't think I haven't valued your posts! the response is amazing

Thank you all... the struggle continues

I'm sure there are resources for you wherever you are. Your English "sounds" American so I assumed you were in the U.S. There's no need to feel ashamed with a professional -- they've heard it all and they don't judge. Try it...please...it will help so much.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Log it. It will stop me when I realize the day is still salvageable.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Yes, I admit to being a binge eater. One bite is too many because 1000 isn't enough. I'll buy a bag of cookies thinking I'll be able to "control it" and only have a couple a day. Then I go into "hoover mode" and the entire bag is gone in a matter of seconds. I do still have those moments, but they seem to occur less often.

Make sure you're getting enough fiber in, and protein. Those are two areas where it's really okay to go over on. It keeps you fuller longer. And make sure to drink plenty of water.

Make sure you have a "snack box" that's just yours. That way if you get an urge to eat something, there's a safe place from which to choose something to eat. My husband uses the drawer in his nightstand. I have a box right next to the dorm fridge in the laundry room where we keep lots of bottled water, and other healthy snacks like yogurt and light string cheese.

One of the girls I work with said she liked the way I was going about my weight loss because I was having things like chocolate cake or other "treats" that most people would consider "totally off limits" on their programs. She said that she felt that those brief taste's of things could help ward off binges. Yes, but they have to be things that I like, but aren't things I'll totally "go hoover on".

The last thing is to realize that you are human. Human's are fallible beings. It isn't a case of "if" you'll stumble, but "when". Make sure you realize that it's not a sin, and it doesn't mean you're a worthless failure. It means you're human. When that happens, what you do next is most important: dust yourself off, and move on. "It is what it is." It happened, and that's life. This is the mark of strength and courage. It's one more badge of courage on the journey!
  • onmyown70
    Options
    Ah guys, I can listen to all this and I hang my head in shame. I have visitors and they have cakes, croissants, bread in the house, they all went outside in the garden this morning, and I raided everything, I even ate a raw chocolate pudding.

I feel tearful and stupid now. I'm riding mornings really tough when I have to stay in.

I'm sorry this isn't great news, I don't know why I do it... I can't not feel shame as I feel a high at the time. :-( x
  • onmyown70
    Options
    Ps I had a coffee with frothed skimmed milk for breakfast and allowed myself some dark chocolate squares, I then had a huge slump and looked at the clock and thought "how am I going to get through the day?"

I have a little one and I feel so selfish, now I feel sick and full and not really sure what to do with myself.
  • onmyown70
    Options
    Previous poster, yes I get that, I can usually have dark chocolate without going in to a frenzy. However, today, I felt tired and as soon as I ate a croissant and some cereal, I went into mega frenzy - even eating a raw chocolate melt pudding.

I am so impulsive with it, the regret doesn't come until it's all over. I had even cut myself up veggie snacks to munch on but it made no different. I'm finding I get up at 6am and I have binged by 10-11am!
  • onmyown70
    Options
    Patmuffintop - what hobby did you take up? x
  • carliaimac
    carliaimac Posts: 11
    Options
    I have pictures if me around the weight I want to get down to in my kitchen cupboards, seeing them normally gives me a moment to come back to my senses. I'm also following 5:2 which strangely seems to be helping my control- even on feast days. And now before I buy anything I try to stop and figure out if I really want it. It's not easy and I don't always manage control, but I try very hard to limit my trigger foods around the house. If I don't have it I can't eat it and with children it's impossible for me to go and get it once they're asleep.
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hiya

I have had years of troubles and stress with binge eating, and am nowehere near fixed, but since I have started on here I have not binged once. I am trying to look after myself more, be 'nice' to myself in order to improve how I feel about myself. Part of this is eating proper, healthy food but not restricting myself to not have the things that I enjoy.
    I'm really enjoying seeing the effects on my body and on my mood- I don't have that massive post binge slump of feeling like I hate myself and that I'm awful and horrible etc.
    My 'treats' are now a nice restaurant dinner, or the occasional normal sized choc bar on a day when I've been really active etc.

It is a day by day thing, and you do have to care about yourself and put your health first. But as others have mentioned, therapy can help you to understand why you binge and find alternative ways of coping. I have had some and it had helped a bit but nothing helps more than YOUR motivation to want to do it.

After 3 weeks I don't want to go back to unhappy secret eating - I feel amazing now and my stomach doesn't hurt and I feel like I am looking after myself and loving myself day by day with the nice food I am eating.

It is hard, but persevere. Its worth it.

Feel free to add me if you want some support.

Jo x
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I binge eat, I find that I can't eat early in the morning or I will want more throughout the day

I do 5:2 which means that I can have a day or two in the week where I eat a big pizza or something like that or go out with the family and have fast food but I still average at 1500-1800 calories a week.

I am only weighing myself once a month so I don't really know yet if its working but my clothes seem to be getting bigger, which is a pretty good sign.

I don't have trigger foods in the house, I don't buy them for my children.

I am starting to find I am getting used to eating less, eating better. But as I said time will tell!
  • onmyown70
    Options
    I am premenstrual (sorry all so it's not the best time for me) but my mother made me steel cut oats for breakfast and I have to say, I don't know if my low mood is not helping with that urge to just eat carbohydrates and by the truck load, but having breakfast doesn't "curb" my appetite at all.

I am trying to track when the urge to overeat occurs, and for me, as I have said before it is the mornings and afternoons (all day!!) but not the evenings, it just so happens my mood also lifts in the evening.

I also have lots of energy slumps during the day, and at these times I'm also overeating.

The only way I stopped myself from going mad today was by driving (i had a long journey to do and ended up stuck in traffic for four hours - if I had any food in the car it would all be gone by now).

My friend says I should see food as a drug for me, and I should view it as an addictions dn therefore never allow myself free access to food, to carefully plan where I will be at peak binge times. Yet others say not to view food as an addiction as it absolves responsibility, but then I end up in a battle with myself, why can't I be normal. Even with the porridge for breakfast everyone else was full, and the porridge made me feel sleepy and I just wanted more - mad hey?

I appreciate all your advice, and it's so great to not feel alone.