Egg Yolks

Options
2»

Replies

• Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I purchase egg whites in a carton, and do a combination of a whole egg and egg whites (for extra protein).

Usually if I'm separating eggs it's for hollandaise sauce, so I'll save the whites for an angel food cake or toss them in an omlette.
  • Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options

I mean, eggs are pretty darn low calorie to begin with--I've never understood the point of trying to reduce the calories (and nutrition) even more?

It's not the calories I'm concerned with as much as the cholesterol and fat. Plus, egg whites alone seem to fill me up more... maybe I'm strange
  • NCDJ2013
    NCDJ2013 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

I mean, eggs are pretty darn low calorie to begin with--I've never understood the point of trying to reduce the calories (and nutrition) even more?

It's not the calories I'm concerned with as much as the cholesterol and fat. Plus, egg whites alone seem to fill me up more... maybe I'm strange
    You really don't need to worry about the fat and cholesterol you get from eggs. Your body NEEDS fat and even cholesterol. Don't fall prey to the myth perpetrated by the drug companies who want everyone on a statin for life.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Interesting responses, I would have thought that the protein was in the yolk, not the white. Learn something new every day.
  • NCDJ2013
    NCDJ2013 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Interesting responses, I would have thought that the protein was in the yolk, not the white. Learn something new every day.
    The white is protein but the yolk contains the nutrients , minerals etc
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I always feel a little disappointed in myself when I do this =D but my dog likes them or carbonara (this will not generally be made if it's a day where I've had to resort to egg whites).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I buy egg whites in carton. Mostly I use them to save calories, or I'll use a whole egg or two and add some egg whites.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I eat whole eggs...the yolk is where all of the actual nutrition is. I do bulk up my servings with egg whites from a carton though for added protein and volume without the calorie hit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Dietary cholesterol has pretty much zero impact on blood serum cholesterol for the vast majority of people. This whole myth was debunked long ago, but for whatever reason still persists. Dietary cholesterol is largely esterified...esterified cholesterol cannot be absorbed by the body. To boot, your liver makes infinitely more cholesterol than you could ever consume in your diet...for the vast majority of people with cholesterol issues, this is the issue...their liver makes too much of it.

Also, the fat in the egg yolk is healthy and dietary fat is an essential macro nutrient. Dietary fat does not make you fat. Man, I wish the 80s would end already.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Lecithin is in the yolk of the egg, and this fat helps move nutrients in and out of the cellular membranes. Eggs are some of the most nutritious foods out there.

Don't understand people who don't eat the whole egg. but that's just me, I guess.
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    dont worry about butter being more calorific than oil, it is actually the other way around:
    butter - 35 cal per tsp
    olive oil - 39.8 cal per tsp
    so, enjoy your eggs, yolk and all, even when eating out!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I was throwing my out, until I learned about using them as a facial mask to help with acne prone skin, so I've been using them for that and noticed a vast improvement in my skin. To those that feed them to your dogs, do you cook the yolks first or give them raw?
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol has pretty much zero impact on blood serum cholesterol for the vast majority of people. This whole myth was debunked long ago, but for whatever reason still persists. Dietary cholesterol is largely esterified...esterified cholesterol cannot be absorbed by the body. To boot, your liver makes infinitely more cholesterol than you could ever consume in your diet...for the vast majority of people with cholesterol issues, this is the issue...their liver makes too much of it.

Also, the fat in the egg yolk is healthy and dietary fat is an essential macro nutrient. Dietary fat does not make you fat. Man, I wish the 80s would end already.

:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I eat the entire egg
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    If you are going to throw away any part of the egg, make it the white. The yolk is where all the good stuff is. :smile:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the whole egg, but if I bake or cook something that requires only the yolk, or only the eggwhite, I save the other part in a container and scramble it up along with a whole egg the next day for breakfast.