Shin splints. Please help!

Options

Replies

• FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    keep your heels on the ground and lift your toes. it works the area under the shins and prevents shin splints.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on running, but my feet are very picky / sensitive. When I get shin splints, it helps to slow down. I prevent shin splints by having good insoles. For me, it isn't the shoes as much as the insoles. Now I have flat feet, and everyone tries to sell me the insoles with huge arches... in fact, those machines at Wal-Mart that examine your feet and point you to one of several insoles are crap. It gave me an insole that raised my arch, and I was ready to strangle someone after the first block.

As far as the ankle issue goes, why not use something with ankle support? I know runners like to have lighter, shorter shoes, but maybe that isn't as wise after all.

Then again, my exercise of choice is hiking. So I'm out on rough terrain and in tougher conditions. Still, I put just as many miles in as a lot of runners (I've hiked about 70-80 miles in the last 30 days). I just have other issues, like running into wildlife or falling through snow up to my armpits (because I didn't realize it was that deep and not packed down very well).
  • taraneedham73
    taraneedham73 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Does a support shoe increase the chances of giving you shin splints? I thought a support shoe would help with shin splints. I have tried doing toe raises as I have been told that it helps with shin splints. What does people suggest? Do I take the trainers back? If I continue to get shin splints then I think I might have to swap them over for the Nike. I got told that Nike is a support shoe but I was getting slight ankle pain and she said the Brooks are a higher support shoe and that my foot shouldnt roll in with the Brooks.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    To be honest the shin splints seem to be quite bad and quite painful. I dont want to get shin splints each time I go running so I am not sure what to do and I dont want to keep going back to the shop, I am sure they are fed up with me by now!

the fact that you're already suffering shin splints, and don't appear to be letting them heal is probably contributing to the confusion.

In essence shin splints are microfractures and muscle tears on the shin, so once they've started they need to be allowed to improve. Essentially take some time to let your legs recover.

There are several underlying sources of shin splints:

Overdoing it - too much distance or speed, essentially overuse
    Shoes - As discussed upthread
    Form - if you're over-extending your stride then you place quite significant rotational loads onto your lower leg
    Muscular imbalance between the calf and the shin muscle

I would suggest resting for a while. If you have shoes appropriate to over-pronators then stick with them. while you're letting your legs recover do some work on strengthening the shin muscle - toe raises against a sand bag or resistance band, cycle with toes clipped into the pedals and concentrate on lifting the pedal as well as pressing down on it, and stretch.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    A couple pointers:
    1. Give your shins and joints a break from hard surfaces when you can. Run on grass or a trail or something softer than concrete.
    2. Strengthen your calves. They are what supports your tibia. If they're stronger, they'll take more of the strain.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I got told that Nike is a support shoe but I was getting slight ankle pain and she said the Brooks are a higher support shoe and that my foot shouldnt roll in with the Brooks.

All brands offer a range of shoes. Personally I run in Saucony Hurricanes and Excursions, so as an overpronator I use a motion control shoe.

When I tried a Nike cushioned shoe it nearly crippled me.

That said different brands do have some differences. It may be that you were in a Nike motion control shoe, and the Brookes just doesn't agree with you. Equally if you were getting ankle problems in the Nikes then there is something else that you need to think about.

I would suggest that you avoid fixating on the Nikes being the right shoe, and focus on addressing the underlying problem that's leading to the ankle and shin issues.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I found proper running shoes helped, but drinking more water, and slowing down got rid of them all together.

As i run further, i can run faster and no more shin splints
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Does a support shoe increase the chances of giving you shin splints? I thought a support shoe would help with shin splints. I have tried doing toe raises as I have been told that it helps with shin splints. What does people suggest? Do I take the trainers back? If I continue to get shin splints then I think I might have to swap them over for the Nike. I got told that Nike is a support shoe but I was getting slight ankle pain and she said the Brooks are a higher support shoe and that my foot shouldnt roll in with the Brooks.

Even if you buy the "right type" of shoe (cushioned/support) it doesn't mean that specific shoe is best for you. Different brands have different variations such as wide and narrow and different products used to produce them. If one shoe isn't working try another until you find one that feels good. If they are annoyed at the store it isn't the end of the world what matters is if they do the exchange. If they say no then you may have to just buy another pair. I suggest getting a gait analysis done by someone who does not work in a shoe store. Some gyms do them or you can go to a doctor or physical therapist. The gait analysis will tell you what type of shoe and about your running mechanics and what you can do to correct issues.
  • taraneedham73
    Options
    To be honest I dont think there is many more shoes I can try and I think the shop is getting fed up with me keep going back. They do an exchange no problem but as I said they wont do a refund. I dont really want to buy another pair of shoes as I have spent good money on these shoes. She said to me if I was still getting ankle pain in the Brooks then I may have to go and see a physio and they might have to make insoles for me and then change my shoes for a neutral shoe. Thats not a route that I want to go down as that will be very expensive and I have already spent good money on my shoes. I have not needed insoles in the 5 years that I have been running so why would I need them now.

All I know is that I wasnt getting shin splints in the Nike so why am I getting them in the Brooks. I will rest my shins and I wont attempt to go for a run until they feel better and I think I will have a try at running in my old trainers to see if I still get the shin pain. I did think the Nike were the right shoe for me as I wasnt getting shin splints. I did have ankle pain but I had a sports massage which eased the pain and I wasnt getting much pain when only doing 3 miles but then I did race for life 2 weeks ago which was 6 miles and after about 4 miles I felt the pain on my ankle and I noticed the next day it was painful and I thought to myself oh no, this is not good!!

To be honest I dont see how having a gait analysis will make much difference. I have had a gait analysis and I have been to two different running shops and they both said that I over pronate so I know what sort of runner I am.
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school and college I ran quite a bit. I read somewhere that shinsplints are caused by your muscles not developing in a balanced way and the ones are out-pulling the others (real technical, I know, bear with me). The solution is to lift weights with your toes (I know, I know, hang in there). So I tied shoestrings onto "Barbie Weights"--I think they may have been two pounds, but I really don't remember, and hung them over the top of my feet while sitting on my bunk bed with my feet hanging off and lifted the suckers. IT WORKS! Just sit where ever you can hang your feet. I just lifted them oh, say, 20 times, a few times a day. Seems like I did it more to start with and then after I'd been running a few months with no issues did less then I quit worrying about it and it stayed good. I told several friends who had the problem and it worked for every one of them also. I've never had the problem again--but have never run consistently that much again, either.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    To be honest I dont think there is many more shoes I can try and I think the shop is getting fed up with me keep going back. They do an exchange no problem but as I said they wont do a refund. I dont really want to buy another pair of shoes as I have spent good money on these shoes. She said to me if I was still getting ankle pain in the Brooks then I may have to go and see a physio and they might have to make insoles for me and then change my shoes for a neutral shoe. Thats not a route that I want to go down as that will be very expensive and I have already spent good money on my shoes. I have not needed insoles in the 5 years that I have been running so why would I need them now.

All I know is that I wasnt getting shin splints in the Nike so why am I getting them in the Brooks. I will rest my shins and I wont attempt to go for a run until they feel better and I think I will have a try at running in my old trainers to see if I still get the shin pain. I did think the Nike were the right shoe for me as I wasnt getting shin splints. I did have ankle pain but I had a sports massage which eased the pain and I wasnt getting much pain when only doing 3 miles but then I did race for life 2 weeks ago which was 6 miles and after about 4 miles I felt the pain on my ankle and I noticed the next day it was painful and I thought to myself oh no, this is not good!!

To be honest I dont see how having a gait analysis will make much difference. I have had a gait analysis and I have been to two different running shops and they both said that I over pronate so I know what sort of runner I am.

Please don't take this as rude but you came here asking for advice yet you keep dismissing people's advice. If you aren't willing to consider anything other than going back to your old shoes you probably won't get an answer as to what the issue is.

-you said you don't want to see a physio and don't want to do that because then you might have to buy insoles and new shoes
    If that is what works wouldn't it be worth it to not be in pain? You may not need insoles or maybe you do but not being seen because you are afraid you won't like their answer isn't going to help you

-you said you weren't getting shin splints before but are now and don't know why
    something changed or needs to be corrected (shoes, running mechanics, etc)

-you said had ankle pain before
    something was probably incorrect with your shoes or your running

-you have had a gait analysis done twice at running shops
    maybe they knew what they were doing maybe they didn't, their primary job is to sell you products
    It isn't going to hurt to have a professional do one. Maybe they will confirm what they others said or maybe they can shed some light on your issues

If you want this issue to get better it would probably help you to go to a professional (doctor/physical therapist) who can examine all the possible factors
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I did have ankle pain but I had a sports massage which eased the pain and I wasnt getting much pain when only doing 3 miles but then I did race for life 2 weeks ago which was 6 miles and after about 4 miles I felt the pain on my ankle and I noticed the next day it was painful and I thought to myself oh no, this is not good!!

So if I read this correctly you've gone from running 5Km continuous sessions to a 10Km session, and then had an injury? How much training did you do to move from 5km to 10km?

It sounds like you've managed to compound the ankle injury, which may be leading to the greater incidence of shin splints. It would be very surprising if these are isolated and unrelated problems.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    -you have had a gait analysis done twice at running shops
    maybe they knew what they were doing maybe they didn't, their primary job is to sell you products
    It isn't going to hurt to have a professional do one. Maybe they will confirm what they others said or maybe they can shed some light on your issues

fwiw she's already identified that she got this done at Sweatshop. They know what they're doing, and they have a decent range of shoes so they're not going to try to sell the wrong brand/ model.

Most Sweatshop branches have a pretty active associated running club
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

There are times as a runner that you will have injuries and/ or pain regardless of shoes. I've had foot pain, ankle pain, shin splits etc. Sometimes it's the shoe, sometimes not. If you are getting shin splints and have been running a while and just switched shoes, it's probably the shoes. You can either work through them by slowing down, icing, taking rest days, going down in distance until they heal, or you can go back to the shoes that didn't give you shin splints. I don't think you should keep exchanging shoes until you are completely pain free. It sometimes takes time to get used to a new brand or model.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

just saw where you did a 6 mile run then started to have the pain in your ankle. Had you trained up to 6 miles or just did it without working up to it? If so the ankle pain is probably not from the shoes, but from increasing your distance and your body wasn't ready.
  • taraneedham73
    Options
    RunningCampbell,

I am not rude and I am most certainly not dismissing peoples advice!! I never said that I wont see a physio but my point is say if I do have insoles made whos to say that they will cure the ankle pain! I could pay £200 for the insoles but that doesnt mean to say the pain is going to go away and I may not get on with the insoles, you have to be realistic! You seem to keep asking questions when I have already answered it!

Sweatshop are a good store and they know what they are dealing with and I dont think they wish to sell me the wrong shoes!! I have had quite a few people tell me that I over pronate and I know my foot rolls in but yet you dont believe me. Well I dont know what the answer is then. No of course I didnt go from 5k to 10k just like that. You have to work up the distance, you cant just go from 5 to 10k. I did the half marathon 6 weeks ago and when I was training for it I got a new pair of trainers and thats when I started to get the ankle pain but I didnt seem to get shin splints.
  • hharp626
    hharp626 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The only things that have helped my shin splints are stretching and using a foam roller on my calves. I bought a Trigger Point foam roller a few weeks ago and it has helped a lot.
  • taraneedham73
    Options
    I am thinking about getting a roller, I seem to have a bit of pain in my left calf. Thats good to hear that it helped your shins. Where did you get your roller from?
  • hharp626
    hharp626 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I bought mine on amazon.com.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    No of course I didnt go from 5k to 10k just like that. You have to work up the distance, you cant just go from 5 to 10k. I did the half marathon 6 weeks ago and when I was training for it I got a new pair of trainers and thats when I started to get the ankle pain but I didnt seem to get shin splints.

I've just reviewed your previous thread on this subject from April. Taking the two threads together it looks to me like you've injured yourself and then continued to train on it. It strikes me that it's been coincident with getting new shoes, or may be a result of having been running in old shoes prior to starting the process of getting new shoes.

That said I'm surprised that the shop staff haven't explored injury with you given how many times you've had to return and replace.