cholesterol

Options
I just had bloodwork done earlier this week and got my results today. My total cholesterol was 190 but the lab technician said my bad cholesterol was a little on the high side. Not to the point of going on medication but need to watch my saturated fat/fried food content. I changed my tracked nutrients in the food diary and for the last several days that I have looked at I have always had cholesterol content remaining for the day.

How/what do most of the users eat that is lower in saturated fat and cholesterol? Suggestions please.

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Regular exercise is helpful. Fiber intake can help.
  • markpom
    markpom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your body produces its own cholesterol, on top of what you get when you eat. You can have bad cholesterol even if your diet is good based on your genetics.

It wouldnt hurt to have a full blood lipid panel done as well because everyone has a different profile of cholesterol. Having a lot of LDL cholesterol particles floating around in your blood is bad but, depending on their average particle size, having a lot of smaller size LDL particles is even worse. A full blood lipid panel gives your more information. You should consider having blood work done a few times a year and see if eating better helps.

Soluble fiber is good for pulling cholesterol out of your body. Try to avoid fatty meats and fried foods.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Lean meats, fish, beans, nuts, olive oil, whole grains (brown rice, bulgur wheat, steel cut oats, quinoa, barley) and lots of veggies. Regular exercise.

ETA: this article may help

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-and-cholesterol-1/
  • CarmenS76
    CarmenS76 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is what my bloodwork shows: Not sure what some of the notes mean

Lipid Panel on 06/18/2014 LDL 128 higher than previous no need for specific treatment recheck 1 year work on low cholesterol diet

Details
    •Cholesterol, Total - 190 Range: 100-199 - mg/dL

•Triglycerides - 115 Range: 0-149 - mg/dL

•HDL - 39 Range: >39 - mg/dL Flag: L

•VLDL - 23 Range: 5-40 - mg/dL

•LDL - 128 Range: 0-99 - mg/dL Flag: H

Thanks for the information everyone!!