Zumba

Options
Hello All! Happy New Year :)

I recently took up a zumba class & needless to say it has become my new favorite work out. Yet sadly it is not listed in the database therefore I am unable to log it in my exercise.

I understand that the calories burned in class depend on the height/weight of each individual person accompanied by the vigorousness which one puts in to the class but on a whim does anyone know what a one hour class would burn for a 5’3 123ish lbs woman?

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• KaylatheChristian
    Options
    I list my zumba under dancing-aerobic, modern. :-)
  • aanaya56
    aanaya56 Posts: 136
    Options
    I have no idea, but I am 5'6 and burn about 900 cals with 1 hr of Zumba
  • duggy79
    duggy79 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hiya

I did Zumba today for the fiirst time. I LOVED IT. I put it on the database under dancing, aerobics.
  • bigshafe4u2u
    Options
    I've had a similar problem with logging "Total Body Sculpt" workouts I DVR from Fit TV. Since they don't have that specifically listed, I went a little more general and logged it as Aerobics, as that was the category I thought it best reflected. Maybe Zumba would be something similar to that...
  • nickicaylor
    Options
    approximately 590 Calories for each hour.
    Go to http://www.internetfitness.com/calculators/calburncalc.htm and use the option for vigorous aerobics and it almost perfectly matches what my Garmin watch says I have burned each time.
    Hope this helps ! I LOVE Zumba - I look forward to it all day :-) best of Luck and have fun
  • jennil2000
    Options
    a friend of mine told me about a watch that you can buy that tells you how much cal you burn so i got it and it works great i use it when i do my zumba
  • nickicaylor
    Options
    by the way the watch I have is awesome and it is great if you are a runner. It is Garmin forerunner 305
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    A chest strap heart rate monitor will also tell you how many calories burned no matter what you are doing.
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba! I go twice a week and love it. I use a Heart Rate Monitor with a chest strap, as others mentioned. I found this to be more accurate than the dancing options. Calories burned really depends on your intensity and your instructor's routines. I burn between 700-850 depending on the day & instructor.
  • iamkatyg
    Options
    I have no idea, but I am 5'6 and burn about 900 cals with 1 hr of Zumba

900 cals seems WAY too high for 1 hour of zumba. You dont even burn that spinning surely and that's way higher intensity....???
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    When I'm teaching Zumba it can be close to 800-900 calories burned since I over exaggerate the moves. When I'm just participating I burn 600-700 for an hour (all per my bodybugg)