Carrot Fries! (Seriously Good!)

Options

Replies

• bevers1948
    bevers1948 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow! I didn't know it was only 350 Cal! For some reason I can never get Potatoes or Sweet Potatoes to crisp up well, do you know any tips?
    Maybe you are not leaving them in the oven long enough. I find that I get in too much of a hurry to try them :)
  • nordic_bjork
    Options
    Are these hard to make? Sorry if dumb question, just not so confident in making food :I

Sounds really good though! I love carrots :)
  • Tingababoo
    Tingababoo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    They are really simple :) the hardest part is the patience to peel them. Then it's just cut, toss and in the oven they go! Don't forget to shake the pan or flip them with a spatula every 10 min or so! Good Luck!
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    @Stadtkatze; where do you get a olive oil with just 80 calories? My olive oil from italy and greece has each 114 calories per table spoon. So, that would make your receipe over 300 calories.

If you can give me the name of your olive oil brand I would love to switch and safe some calories (even these are considered healthy calories).
  • Optimistic2012
    Optimistic2012 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    "Carrot fries" have become a regular menu item at our house! I use Hungry Girl's recipe: http://www.hungry-girl.com/misc/show/2288-as-chewed-on-tv-hungry-girl-recipes-from-dr-oz#carrot. Scroll to the bottom of the page.

They aren't French fries, but we like them every bit as much! :smile:
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    awesome recipe! thanks for sharing :)

trying to get more carrots in for the vit A but getting tired of having them raw/in salads all the time, lol
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thank's, I gotta try them.
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 78105234a
    78105234a Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I love these!!

Bumping to remember to make them!
  • purplemurfy
    purplemurfy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    might try these next time i go shopping. I love veggies, but i have to stay away from potatoes(for the most part) as they're my favorite and i could easily eat 1000 calories of potatoes :angry:
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Alright Guys and Gals ~ I know there's no substitute for a good 'ol French Fry (or crispy sweet potato fry) but Carrots? This is seriously good!

We ordered from Blue Apron and had these Carrot Fries
    http://www.blueapron.com/recipes/mediterranean-lamb-burger-with-roasted-carrot-fries

Ingredients:
    Olive Oil
    1 Pound Carrots
    2 Teaspoon Mediterranean Spice Blend (Ground Cumin & Caraway Seeds)

Directions:
    Peel and cut the carrots into ½-inch thick sticks.
    Place the carrots on a sheet pan. Season with salt, pepper and the spice blend.
    Drizzle with olive oil and toss to thoroughly coat.
    Roast, stirring halfway through, 18 to 20 minutes, or until tender and browned.

I love raw carrots but don't love the taste of a cooked carrot. But this is amazing! The toasted caraway seeds that stick to the toasty carrot sticks give you that crunch you yearn for on a french fry. I'm not saying its a substitute for French Fries by any means but you'll have it and be satisfied AND know you had a healthy serving of veggies. My husband snuck a few off the tray thinking they were sweet potato fries and was surprised to find out they were carrots :)

Hope you like it!

I love carrots and these sound good, thanks OP
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Wow! I didn't know it was only 350 Cal! For some reason I can never get Potatoes or Sweet Potatoes to crisp up well, do you know any tips?

Try putting them on parchment paper, it works better for me than foil for crispness.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That's not fries, That's fried carrot sticks. :wink:

Actually, it's roasted carrot sticks, which are delicious.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Even better on the grill. Grill them until they just start getting black spots on the ends. Super, amazingly sweet and smoky!
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    What temp do you cook them at? I can't seem to find it in the post. :(
  • gandy_77
    gandy_77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    to get really good crispy potato fries (doesn't matter if your going to bake or fry them) best thing to do is wash them with lots of cold water after you've cut them to get rid of the starch and then dry them off in a tea towel before tossing them in the oil and putting them in the oven (or deep frying them if your going to be bad)

don't think it would work the same with the carrots but definitely going to give them a try.

i also like chunky cut butternut squash chips (leaving the skin on), never get as crispy as a normal fry but they're pretty tasty
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    That's not fries, That's fried carrot sticks. :wink:

That's why the title is carrot fries... Haha these sound delicious!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    For sweet potato fries, some people coat them with cornstarch to make them crispier. I wonder if that would work with the carrot fries.

Regardless, grilled carrots are THE TASTIEST and you don't have to cut them up like fries. Just use some petite baby carrots, wrap them in foil with a little salt and seasonings of your choice, and grill them until they just start getting black bits.