To my fellow Binge Eaters...How do control cravings?

Options

Replies

• murth208
    murth208 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'm going to try that.
  • mnardi123
    mnardi123 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Stop binging. Do it not because you WANT to but because you HAVE to. This is what separates adults from kids.

You are so right! How could I have not seen the light. Thank you so much...I'm cured. Here I thought working every day then dedicating my time and efforts to my three kids, working on a loving relationship with my husband, volunteering at church and school, I thought these things were what made me an adult. Thank you for showing me the path. I think you've missed your calling and should go into eating disorder therapy. There are thousand of people who could use your wisdom. God Bless.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Stop binging. Do it not because you WANT to but because you HAVE to. This is what separates adults from kids.

You are so right! How could I have not seen the light. Thank you so much...I'm cured. Here I thought working every day then dedicating my time and efforts to my three kids, working on a loving relationship with my husband, volunteering at church and school, I thought these things were what made me an adult. Thank you for showing me the path. I think you've missed your calling and should go into eating disorder therapy. There are thousand of people who could use your wisdom. God Bless.

Yeah if only it was that easy.

I still binge occasionally, but I focus on the big picture and I usually manage to limit the damage. Like, I had 3 brownies yesterday, and ate really light the rest of the day to make up for it. For me, if I log the stuff before I eat it, it helps when I start seeing big red numbers... it's a bit of a wake up call... It translates straight into weight gain in my mind and that stops me... mostly. Sometimes it doesn't though but then I just move on and try and do better the next day!
  • pattyebricker
    pattyebricker Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    God bless you to, baby girl.
  • Odiliawine
    Odiliawine Posts: 116 Member
    Options

What an ignorant thing to say on so many levels.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I exercise hard almost every day and incorporate yoga/mediation/grounding exercises to prevent binge feelings in the first place.

I don't keep food that triggers me in the house. I only eat it for treats at a restaurant or somewhere I can leave it. Some foods I just don't eat all all because no amount will satisfy me.

Every time you give into a binge, you are strengthening neural pathways. Every time you don't, you are re-wiring your brain. It takes quite a while but it really works. I don't binge anymore after struggling with bulimia and BED for 30 years.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It is hard. I am still battling emotionally based binge eating/bulimia myself, and I am speaking of genuine binges, sometimes totaling over 5k calories. I am also very hard on myself about this, and often call myself all manner of names for being what I view as 'weak willed' and 'greedy'. I find I am better when I keep on top of my exercise and remain active, but I find the sugary foods I tend to turn to when I am stressed/bored/depressed/lonely to trigger more cravings and it can be very difficult to counteract. It is as if all logic and all goals and all perspective of the outcome of the binge, disappears once in that state.

I am reading a book called 'brain over binge' which is quite interesting and available on Amazon. It takes a different perspective on it.
    I also try to remind myself of how physically damaging the binge eating is, and how counterproductive it is to my fitness goals.
    I have always been an all or nothing personality, so that in itself makes moderation very difficult. I simply try to not buy in large quantities of any food I am likely to seek solace in. That in itself can be a battle if I am in a certain frame of mind.
  • CarlynMatthew
    CarlynMatthew Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Same here. Only thing that works for me.
  • pattyebricker
    Options
    Read the MFP forums. The people who have had success losing weight and keeping it off tell us over and over to eat at a deficit and exercise to lose weight. At some point these HIGHLY successful people quit making ever excuse known to man, grew up and started doing the right thing. Don't you think they had cravings, addictions to sugar, emotional issues etc, etc, but they made a decision to do what it took to get where they wanted to be, through hard work and determination. I for one will listen to them and just suck it up and do it. Eat at a deficit, exercise, get the weight off , quit making excuses for over eating and don't ever let yourself go again. You either want it or you don't, the decision is yours. I truly do wish all of us the best. Sorry for the baby remark. These are harsh words, but we all know it's true.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    When the cravings come I ask myself what is wrong. If I had my good healthy meal and am not due for my healthy snack why am I obsessing over junk. Something is obviously bothering me and I am trying to justify medicating with food. I find what is bothering me and deal with it. I no longer medicate with food I deal with my problems. Medicating with food never solved my problems it only made them worse. The pleasure never lasted more than three min and the problem was still there waiting to be solved. For 34 yrs I was in a food prison. I ran to food for everything. I finally fell in love with myself as a 43 yr old obese woman and completely accepted and forgave myself. That said I also don't eat my trigger foods of wheat, rice, potato and processed corn anymore. I have a 34 yr history of being unable to portion control them. There can be a couple tbsp in a recipe but they cannot be the main ingredient. I spend a lot of time and energy making sure my food is not only healthy but really delicious. I eat a lot more fat than I ever did before and I find my meals very satisfying.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My last binge was the reason I decided to change my life because I got horribly ill for 2 days afterwards. I used to buy multiple sandwiches from the drive thru when I was happy or sad or anything in between really. It was sick and I hid it and it was a real problem. Now it's just not an option for me. There are some days when I'm really anxious or depressed and I want to get in the car and go to McDonalds, but if I distract myself for 20-30 minutes with YouTube videos or browsing MFP or something like that, the desire usually goes away. I know I became addicted to feeling that full and I was trying to fill voids. I feel much better now that I no longer binge, but the first few weeks were especially hard. Good luck to everyone trying.
  • pattyebricker
    Options
    Thanks for the post and example of responsible behavior for your health.
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have found the most effective way to stop a craving is to indulge in that craving. Sounds crazy but it works. I keep something sweet around all the time. Or something savory if you like that better. If I am cravings something sweet I let myself have it. The key is to not go overboard with it. I allow myself around 200-300 calories for said craving and I always try and keep those calories open during the day in case I need them. At first I used them every day, but now a year later I only indulge once or twice a week if that.

Doing this has not stopped my weight loss at all, I still count those calories but I figure its better to allow a little of them every now and then instead of going on a full binge where you just give up and stop your healthy eating habits.

Just remember there is nothing wrong with a bit of sugar and fat so long as it doesn't make up a large percentage of your diet.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    When I binge I am usually upset or angry. Exercise is the best preventative action I can take. Might that work for you? Proper sleep is also important. I haven't done it yet, but I may consider medication in the future rather than turning to food (benzodiazepam comes to mind but I will discuss with my doctor).

Strong cravings (where I may overindulge but don't eat like I'm in a pie eating competition) happen much more frequently. When it's PMS I eat more calories that day so I don't feel agitated in any way, but stay the heck away from anything sweet or a craving can turn into a binge quickly. Smells and sights can trigger the cravings even on my healthiest days. My family is very supportive in keeping that stuff out of the house. Eating more protein and less carbs reduces my cravings too. I now aim for the 40/30/30 often touted here.

Over and over I have tried the "moderation" approach but one piece of cake ALWAYS leads to another, it's FAR easier to have none.
  • justjumpit278
    justjumpit278 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    For people who tend to binge on the entire bag of Cheetos or the entire box of Oreos - try portioning everything out. It's okay to have a serving size, not the entire bag.
    When you bring that food home, break out the snack size baggies and put ONE serving of Cheetos in there. When you just need to have those Cheetos, get one baggie out of the cabinet and STEP AWAY!
  • sandmama
    sandmama Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have learned what I can and CAN'T have in the house. I hate going out of town because I have so much less control. I hardly buy any snacks for the kids now (they need fruits/veggies too). No more crackers, cookies, candy, cakes etc. ANY of my trigger foods. I don't even bake anymore. I am not a moderate only person and I can't have a small bite and put things away. I have to do the out of sight, out of mind. I also set my phone on a timer to eat every 2.5 hours so I never get to the point of wanting to scarf down a whole bag/box of anything.

When I do go out of town and slip I seriously feel like crud now afterwards. I can feel a difference in my body within hours.

I also try very hard to remind myself, that my psychological need is very different from my physical need. I also chew a lot of gum!
  • bluehydrangeas
    Options
    What helped me was allowing myself to eat whatever I want everyday for a long, long time. Yup. That meant I went a couple months eating all the cupcakes, donuts, chocolate, pizzas, cheeseburgers, potato salad, pasta, grilled cheese, french toast, etc. Eventually I naturally started eating less because I truly wanted to eat less, not because I was forcing myself to. I naturally started to stray from sugary foods and more to savory foods, with a dessert here and there instead of dessert replacing meals entirely. I finally realized the food will be there the next time I'm hungry and I don't have to eat it all right now.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I haven't found any particular method that has worked "well" for me other than to avoid those types of trigger food altogether. Yes, I feel deprived sometimes and I am scared that all the self-denial will lead to a really bad binge sometime soon. I could let myself have some but whenever I did in the past, I still ended up overeating. I wish food wasn't my vice.
  • likeelili
    likeelili Posts: 6
    Options
    When I'm at Uni and living on my own, I try not to buy the things that I binge on.
    As I'm at home for summer I try a different method as it's not just me living here. I generally binge without thinking about it. I get a craving, go to the fridge and just eat ea eat. Now I try and put it off, by saying I'm not going to eat this for X amount of time. Then I think about it logically 'will eating 4 doughnuts benefit me?' 'why do I want this food, what purpose will it serve me'. Try and stay in the moment. Good luck :)
  • ammossrn
    ammossrn Posts: 43
    Options
    I have conquered this by using Shakeology. 100% true.
    I'm sure someone will post a negative reply or comment about this.... but.... it's the truth and that's my answer! Shakeology helped me control my eating and curb cravings. TRUTH!