can I still gain muscle at the age of 38

Options

Replies

• midas1022
    midas1022 Posts: 151
    Options
    I am in my 40s and have lifted all of my life and can give you a really good perspective. As you hit around 38 your testosterone levels are going to start to noticeably drop. You won't recover as quickly as you did before. You have more responsibilitys now your time is more limited. You start to ache more and your sleep will not be as good. NOW the good part. You are a lot smarter. Working hard and working smart are two different things. When your young you can do anything and eat anything and get results. Your older now and smarter now. I wasted years eating and lifting the wrong way. I was ignorant. Now I am older and a lot smarter. I plan my workouts out to get maximum results. I eat the correct way and know why. I don't chase fitness stories and keep changing things up because of the latest and greatest new thing. Work on yourself. Your body has most likely taken years of abuse. Give it time to recover and you will see great results. Working out will make you look younger. Everything works better when you get over the initial hump. Yes you can get great results but work smarter.
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I'm 40. My 20's and 30's were all about cardio. Sweat, Sweat, Sweat, heart rate up, up , up! I have NEVER looked better than i do TODAY as I type this reply. Began weights about 5 months ago. If I had known then what i know now...
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I am in my 40s and have lifted all of my life and can give you a really good perspective. As you hit around 38 your testosterone levels are going to start to noticeably drop. You won't recover as quickly as you did before. You have more responsibilitys now your time is more limited. You start to ache more and your sleep will not be as good. NOW the good part. You are a lot smarter. Working hard and working smart are two different things. When your young you can do anything and eat anything and get results. Your older now and smarter now. I wasted years eating and lifting the wrong way. I was ignorant. Now I am older and a lot smarter. I plan my workouts out to get maximum results. I eat the correct way and know why. I don't chase fitness stories and keep changing things up because of the latest and greatest new thing. Work on yourself. Your body has most likely taken years of abuse. Give it time to recover and you will see great results. Working out will make you look younger. Everything works better when you get over the initial hump. Yes you can get great results but work smarter.
    I have heard people say this happens at 25, at 30, at 35 now the magic number for every man on the planet is 38 are you sure it isn't 39?
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Age has little bearing on building muscle it comes down to your own God given genetics.

Ehhhh I'd say age has quite a bit to do with building muscle but that said, you can def still build muscle at age 38.
    I'm age 60-not old and decrepid at all and building some nice muscles all over my arms and legs!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Lol...I hope so, I just turned 37.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Age has little bearing on building muscle it comes down to your own God given genetics.

Ehhhh I'd say age has quite a bit to do with building muscle but that said, you can def still build muscle at age 38.
    I'm age 60-not old and decrepid at all and building some nice muscles all over my arms and legs!

Oh don't get me wrong - I think any age can build muscle! I also applaud your efforts :drinker:

I just wish I had been working out as hard as I am now when I was 18 hahaha.

I made that comment because I thought that people naturally lost testosterone as they aged, but since I made that post I have read into it - and a couple things I came across have me wondering if testosterone loss might have more to with lifestyle choices than age.
  • p8liwag
    p8liwag Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Geez I hope so .. I'm in my 30's and trying to tone and gain some muscle :-)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    <
    45 yrs old.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    the age your testosterone levels drop will vary by genetic factors.. but the 25 is uncommon. 35-45 is common.
  • momma2azoo
    momma2azoo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Nope, you are ancient and over the hill and completely beyond hope!! :)

Me, I'm only 37. You should see the awesome muscle I'm building from biking up hills on hard pack gravel roads and running. I'm just a wee spring chicken muscle building machine!!

Seriously though, you can build muscle till the day you die. As you age you won't be able to build like you can when you are young. However, any muscle put into use and strained will respond by becoming stronger. Building muscle is just a well used, damaged muscle repairing its self. The body repairs its self till the end.
  • realbellamara
    realbellamara Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That is such a silly question, I think.
    why would you feel as though 38 ,48 , 58 or any age for that matter is a hindrance to anything, it is only a number!!
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My gosh, I sure hope so! Let's ask my trainer at the gym, who is 48 and totally ripped and enters bodybuilding competitions. :)
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Is this a serious question?
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Dude, I'm 38, have a black belt in kung fu, and can beat my teenage student athletes in a sprinting race up 11 flights of stairs. Also, I'm a woman, had a baby a year and a half ago, and am in the best goddamn shape of my life, with muscles like you wouldn't believe. Age is no excuse. It does get harder as you get older, but if you're willing to work you can achieve whatever you want.

Also, if you start now, you'll be healthier and in better shape as you age. By the time you're old and decrepit, it's too late.
    you rock!!!!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    That ability is lost at 37.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    No way!, first I learn on MFP that when I gain 50lbs of strength in 5 weeks over several lifts while losing 10.4lbs that not any of it is muscle, now I find I cant ever build any muscle anyways since I''m over 38! :'(

I'm sure glad my mind can lift weights, by process of elimination it must be the reason, right? I think this means you just need to continue telekenetic exercise once over 38 years.
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This guy started lifting at 44........now 71.
    So much for not being able to gain after a certain age
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKJaZDGVNWA
    That was AWESOME!!! Thanks for posting!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and have only been lifting about 3 or 4 months. While the change is not dramatic, I can tell I'm getting bigger, firmer muscles. But I stay within the bounds my old bones dictate. Some days I do less than planned because of joint pain.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yes. No.
  • Onderwoman
    Onderwoman Posts: 130
    Options
    No way!, first I learn on MFP that when I gain 50lbs of strength in 5 weeks over several lifts while losing 10.4lbs that not any of it is muscle, now I find I cant ever build any muscle anyways since I''m over 38! :'(

I'm sure glad my mind can lift weights, by process of elimination it must be the reason, right? I think this means you just need to continue telekenetic exercise once over 38 years.

Your telekinetic powers are amazing!