Always over carbs and sugar

Options
I am always over my carbs and sugar. I am doing the T25 workouts but not following the diet. I eat unprocessed foods , fruits veggies etc. I just can't seem to stay under carbs and sugar and I'm really not seeing the weight loss I was hoping to so I wonder if this is why. I have lost 3-4lbs in 4.5 weeks. My fitness pal is set to 1200 calories a day and I typically am under my calorie goal. Advice or recipes for low carb low sugar dinners and breakfasts are so welcome! Thank you!!!

Replies

• fabdivac
    fabdivac Posts: 11
    Options
    I am having similar issue/challenge as well. It seems sugar is the culprit, and many items have kinda high sugar content and lower carbs or calorie count. This is challenging without just cutting sugar all together. I would be interested in the feedback from others as well. Ugh!
  • snorkizzle
    snorkizzle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'd just keep doing what you're doing. Losing 3-4 lbs in 4.5 weeks is perfectly normal and healthy. Losing weight faster than this can make it so your metabolism also drops significantly. If you're eating healthy and exercising eventually it's going to come off.

Sometimes I'm much higher on carbs but it can just be that I'm working out a lot and need them to recover.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eggs instead of rice cakes for breakfast.

Choosing lower sugar fruits like berries instead of watermelon or banana.

Instead of buying sweetened strawberry yogurt you could buy unsweetened greek yogurt and mix in whole berries for sweetness.

These would switch some of your carbs calories for protein calories. As someone pointed out, your weight loss isn't slow, but this will help balance your macros.
  • DanielCathers
    DanielCathers Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Don't over eat on protein though. Eat an appropriate amount for your level of activity. Too much protein and your body will turn it into sugar.

Use this:

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Fill up on fats: meat, eggs, fish, dairy (full fat cream, cheese, butter, sour cream, etc.), avocados, nuts and seeds (no beans/legumes), olive oil, and coconut oil.
  • morgiebee427
    morgiebee427 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Great suggestions!!
  • morgiebee427
    Options
    Eggs instead of rice cakes for breakfast.

Choosing lower sugar fruits like berries instead of watermelon or banana.

Instead of buying sweetened strawberry yogurt you could buy unsweetened greek yogurt and mix in whole berries for sweetness.

These would switch some of your carbs calories for protein calories. As someone pointed out, your weight loss isn't slow, but this will help balance your macros.

Thank you! Great suggestions! Haha sorry I'm new to this and didn't know when I clicked reply it wouldn't go with your post
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Just eat chicken salad three times a day
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Eat way more protein, instead of carbs eat meat. Your carb goal should be seen as a max while fat and protein as minimums. If you are not getting at least that much protein, you need to change that, MFP sets protein goals low, and you are coming in under an already low target.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    More vegetables, less fruit. I go over with fruit all the time. I keep telling myself, I should eat half vegetables first and then eat an equal amount of fruit after. I don't do this really well though
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Don't over eat on protein though. Eat an appropriate amount for your level of activity. Too much protein and your body will turn it into sugar.

Use this:

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Fill up on fats: meat, eggs, fish, dairy (full fat cream, cheese, butter, sour cream, etc.), avocados, nuts and seeds (no beans/legumes), olive oil, and coconut oil.

That would be carbs, not protein. Carbs are sugar basically...
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    1. Eating over your carb macro will not prevent you from losing weight as long as you're keeping a total calorie deficit.

2. Looking at the quantities in your diary, it does not appear as if you're weighing your food. That means you're probably eating more than you think. Measuring cups are notoriously bad for measuring solids. You seriously need to weigh them to have any sense of accuracy.

3. You eat a lot of fruit. Fruit contains a lot of sugars/carbs. If you're serious about maintaining this carb goal, you might consider eating more veg and lean meat and less fruit.
  • morgiebee427
    Options
    1. Eating over your carb macro will not prevent you from losing weight as long as you're keeping a total calorie deficit.

2. Looking at the quantities in your diary, it does not appear as if you're weighing your food. That means you're probably eating more than you think. Measuring cups are notoriously bad for measuring solids. You seriously need to weigh them to have any sense of accuracy.

3. You eat a lot of fruit. Fruit contains a lot of sugars/carbs. If you're serious about maintaining this carb goal, you might consider eating more veg and lean meat and less fruit.

I actually started using a kitchen scale two weeks ago haha so I am measuring it.. :) but thank you. I love fruit.. I know it's bad, but it's better than sour patch watermelon which was my serious addiction haha
  • sandmama
    sandmama Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I concentrate on hitting my protein macro and don't go over carbs that way. Maybe a piece of toast or a half sandwich each day, one serving of fruit (rest are lots of veggies) I try to aim for at least 15 grams of protein at each meal/snack. Carbs just seem to fall into place that way.
  • bcanderson123456
    bcanderson123456 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of you have fallen into the fad diet claim of low carb = weight loss. The only people that need to worry about carbs are diabetics. As has been mentioned MFP sets protein at the very low end of the scale. There really are no bad foods per se. If your calories in are less than calories out you will lose weight. Before I get a lot of negatives I suggest nutritious well balanced meals, not 1200 calories of junk, so take my no bad foods as it was intended. A new site has some good calculators for playing with calorie numbers. check out the calculators at ahl4u.com
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of you have fallen into the fad diet claim of low carb = weight loss. The only people that need to worry about carbs are diabetics. As has been mentioned MFP sets protein at the very low end of the scale. There really are no bad foods per se. If your calories in are less than calories out you will lose weight. Before I get a lot of negatives I suggest nutritious well balanced meals, not 1200 calories of junk, so take my no bad foods as it was intended. A new site has some good calculators for playing with calorie numbers. check out the calculators at ahl4u.com

I just tried the site and the calculators are currently broken.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    IMO, a PRINCIPAL reason to reduce carbs, is that an early slug of carbs can induce hunger later. If I have a big peice of bread first in my meal, then typically I will feel hungry in 60-90 minutes even if I got all the needed calories from the meal/snack. LCHF works well enough for me that, even if my stomach is growling, I just don't get hungry, so it's easier to stay on plan. Hunger is a problem for many dieters so it makes sense to manage it.

There is a least a couple other reasons. Diabetics aren't the only ones predisposed to dementia and Alzheimers. The contributing factors aren't totally clear but many studies suggest that repeated cycles of high blood sugar then high insulin, may cause inflammation that is at the root of many ailments, autoimmune diseases and even neurological problems like dementias.

Many carbs are low-nutrient junkfood anyway. If wheat flour wasn't typically fortified then it would be, well not WORTHLESS but not worth much more than its calorie content.

Note there is NO RDA for daily sugar. Why? You don't need it to live. And once you de-emphasize it in your diet, typically the cravings ebb after a time, and a bunch of interesting effects may occur. Natural sweetness of foods becomes more apparent, some people experience greater concentration and clarity, and blah blah blaaaah.

Fad, shmad. Whatever works.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I've dropped 10% body fat by eating carbs. Sometimes up to 400g a day, but to fuel training.

I try to go for a 100-200 calorie deficit per day to lose 1/3 to 1/2 a pound a week, when I'm cutting.

Don't go too fast, but the more body fat you have to spare, the deeper you can cut without doing too much damage.

Sounds like you are losing weight plenty fast enough. As long as you are getting 100g protein a day and fat then you can eat whatever carbs you fancy. Just count them up!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    IMO, a PRINCIPAL reason to reduce carbs, is that an early slug of carbs can induce hunger later. If I have a big peice of bread first in my meal, then typically I will feel hungry in 60-90 minutes even if I got all the needed calories from the meal/snack. LCHF works well enough for me that, even if my stomach is growling, I just don't get hungry, so it's easier to stay on plan. Hunger is a problem for many dieters so it makes sense to manage it.

There is a least a couple other reasons. Diabetics aren't the only ones predisposed to dementia and Alzheimers. The contributing factors aren't totally clear but many studies suggest that repeated cycles of high blood sugar then high insulin, may cause inflammation that is at the root of many ailments, autoimmune diseases and even neurological problems like dementias.

Many carbs are low-nutrient junkfood anyway. If wheat flour wasn't typically fortified then it would be, well not WORTHLESS but not worth much more than its calorie content.

Note there is NO RDA for daily sugar. Why? You don't need it to live. And once you de-emphasize it in your diet, typically the cravings ebb after a time, and a bunch of interesting effects may occur. Natural sweetness of foods becomes more apparent, some people experience greater concentration and clarity, and blah blah blaaaah.

Fad, shmad. Whatever works.

I may add, whatever works for the fittest and hottest people on the planet. Olympic sportsmen and women.

The certainly don't demonise carbs! In fact they're dumping as much sugar in their system as they can cope with during training.

Yes, they tend to eat protein, slow release carbs, and healthy fats, and colourful fruit and veg, but there's processed carbs aplenty too.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter, as you long as you keep under the calories. I pretty much ignore the fat/sugar targets and carbs I aim to hit it or surpass it - I get bad low-carb side effects pretty quickly, like low mood and no periods, if I go below about 150g. If I go over sugar it's because I ate an apple - big deal!

I'm not sure your measurements or numbers are right, though. Your Starbucks yesterday claims to have had no sugar (that may be an incorrect entry) and 5 cups of watermelon is quite a lot for a normal serving. 2oz of chicken is very small. 150g of yoghurt is kind of excessive. You probably ate more ordinary amounts than this but 'cup' and 'servings' can really throw out your numbers.

You might want to consider plain Greek yoghurt and adding honey to sweeten it, or fruit, or both, rather than the sugary versions, it has lots more protein and is really filling.

But so long as you stick to your calories it really doesn't matter. You might want to cut down the processed sugars, but that'd be a personal decision to see if you felt better doing it, not really a weight loss one.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have this problem often as well. The sugar is hidden in the items I eat. I don't have even any sugar in my house (any bag or loose type of sugar) at all, because I don't use it. Still I am over my sugar intake or carb intake.
    If I swithc stuff up, then I get too much in my cholesterol. It is really hard to hit all these macros right. I must admit the last three days my intake has been screwed up due to my work schedule being a little screwed up. This is not my usual, but I am a little on the sweet side :wink:
    So, if you want to review and give some advice, please check my log about 2-3 weeks back....:blushing: :happy: