Convincing

Options
To mostly the men, was there something someone said to you or could've said to you to "convince" you to finally decide to lose excess weight? Whether it was your doctor or your significant other? Or was it something that you just decided inside yourself?

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    For me, I spent most of 2010 feeling 'ill', climbing stairs, doing stuff with the kids etc. was difficult; constantly feeling tired, out of breath. I realised that something had to change, otherwise I would be 'a statistic'.

So in January 2011 I found MFP, turned over a new leaf and never looked back. In April 2011 I bought a Bicycle and used it for commuting the 13.5 miles each way backwards and forwards to work (rather than taking the car), which was EXTREMELY tough at first...

I've still got a way to go and inevitably I still 'fall off the wagon' from time to time, but I keep at it.

I feel fit and healthy; much better than I did in 2010!

So, it's all good I guess :happy:
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! So really it was all your own decision to take care of yourself.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Good for you!! So really it was all your own decision to take care of yourself.

My own decision, yes, but for the sake of my wife & kids... I lost my Dad at an early age (I was 12) & I didn't want the same to happen to my kids!
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Somebody I love needs to do something but I can't do it for him. I just wish I could say something to him that would help. We have talked about his health but nothing ever seems to inspire him. I've realized there is nothing I can do that it's ultimately up to him.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    If they are 'hitting the self destruct button', then you MUST speak up...

If they still aren't motivated, then you need to questions the friendship/relationship (IMHO of course...)
  • omnisis
    omnisis Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't like looking in the mirror and seeing a fata** staring back at me. That's generally all it takes to keep me thin.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    The fact that i'd gone from 285 to nearly 400. Plus i need to be around in 20 years for 2 graduation parties.