Net calories?

Options
So I'm sure we have all heard of your body going into the infamous "starvation mode" when you eat below 1200 calories. I am 5'5", 22 years old, female and currently weigh about 120-125 (don't have a scale to be exact). I'm trying to get back on track and was just curious about net calories and starvation mode.

When they say that you should be eating 1200 calories a day, does that mean just IN GENERAL, or that I should be NETTING 1200 calories a day after exercise? I find that my net calories are generally pretty low (less than 1000) and am having a bit of a hard time raising them, due to the fact that I'm just not hungry, or don't have time at work to eat during the day.

What are some steps that I can go about to increase my calorie intake to a healthy range? And also, I guess, what would be considered a healthy range? MFP tells me 1800 to maintain and I feel like that's a lot.

Replies

• arijo7
    arijo7 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When people talk about eating at least 1200 calories, they mean NET calories after exercise.
  • TminusFitnessN321
    TminusFitnessN321 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I believe 1200 is including everything, from how much you want to lose to your activity level. I think that's based on without exercise.
  • Itskaleena
    Itskaleena Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    1200 is too low if it is your total or even as a net depending on the person.
    You are a young active women so you do need about 1800.
    Just try adding in more calorie dense foods like peanut butter and avocado.
    Have snacks between meals like some apples and peanut butter or some crackers and hummus.
    Just increase your calories slowly and it will become easier:)
  • Itskaleena
    Options
    1200 is too low of a number to eat long term and stay healthy and active
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    1200 is too low of a number to eat long term and stay healthy and active

^^^THIS^^^ You need AT LEAST 45 grams of fat per day to stay healthy. If you add more healthy fats into your diet (nuts, avocado, fatty fish, organic eggs, butter, cheese, etc) you shouldn't have any trouble netting at least 1200 per day. But you should probably be trying to net something more like 1400 or more.

ETA: I just looked at your food diary for a few days. The reason why you gained weight is likely that your fat is generally too low and your carbohydrates too high as a proportion of your diet. Low-fat dieting makes you fatter. Even though that seems paradoxical, it really isn't. Carbohydrates, especially that contained in sugar and starch, boost blood sugar precipitously and cause a surge in insulin which, in turn, causes fat storage. A pretty good balance for weight maintenance and health is 100-140 grams of carbohydrate (from good sources like vegetables and fruits and not much from grain), around 80-100 grams of good fat and, at your height and weight, around 60 to 85 grams of protein (the higher number is for when you are trying to build muscle). That kind of a program will give you more energy and vitality. :smile:
  • jimjeff
    jimjeff Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So I'm sure we have all heard of your body going into the infamous "starvation mode" when you eat below 1200 calories. I am 5'5", 22 years old, female and currently weigh about 120-125 (don't have a scale to be exact). I'm trying to get back on track and was just curious about net calories and starvation mode.

When they say that you should be eating 1200 calories a day, does that mean just IN GENERAL, or that I should be NETTING 1200 calories a day after exercise? I find that my net calories are generally pretty low (less than 1000) and am having a bit of a hard time raising them, due to the fact that I'm just not hungry, or don't have time at work to eat during the day.

What are some steps that I can go about to increase my calorie intake to a healthy range? And also, I guess, what would be considered a healthy range? MFP tells me 1800 to maintain and I feel like that's a lot.
  • jimjeff
    jimjeff Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Clarify please.........if I am on a1200 calorie a day regimen and burn 500 calories today, I still can only eat 1200 calories, or can eat up to 1700 and still lose weight?
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278
    Options
    I am having the same issue. I am 5'6" and weigh 128 lbs and am trying not to loose. With my walking I need to eat about 1700 calories a day. I added Nature Valley protein bars which give me an extra 200 calories. The almonds are a quick and healthy way to get some extra protein with out having to eat a lot when I am not hungry. If I keep loosing weight I am going to add a glass of low fat chocolate milk. (I hate white milk) but its good for me. Then my last strategy is to choke down an an ensure, boost or meal replacement bar. People think I am lucky to not be hungry but I think its hard. Just as hard as being hungry all the time. good luck!
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278
    Options
    you have to eat 1700 to not loose weight
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Clarify please.........if I am on a1200 calorie a day regimen and burn 500 calories today, I still can only eat 1200 calories, or can eat up to 1700 and still lose weight?

You can eat up to 1700. :)
  • Itskaleena
    Options
    total or net carbs? carbs are just as important as fat and protein:)