Has anyone done a Color Run?

Options
13»

Replies

• SinCityFit
    SinCityFit Posts: 96
    Options
    Never signed up for one, I don't know why, it just seems like I would have a miserable time getting sprayed with paint and then having to scrub it off lol The one "Novelty 5K" I want to do is a Zombie one, being a Zombie :D
  • bespatter
    bespatter Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I did the one in Kansas City with my family and co-workers. I didn't like it because I don't really like to get dirty and I don't like huge crowds of people. It was crowded but after the first km I was able to run. It was a good experience though.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Really didn't care for it. My kids liked it though. I hate getting dirty. This was,however, before I started running, so I walked/ran it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I did one with my husband-- we had a good time. Someone did throw colored dust in my open mouth (I had just passed the color station and went to breathe in and she had followed us, ran up from behind me and threw a handful in my face) but I still had a great time.

d16d3265-08a1-4c41-9d36-cc6070975ba8_zps750555c7.jpg
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I did the one in here Edinburgh the other weekend, got free entry from work. Would not pay for it and would not do it again, ours was unfortunately an incredibly poorly organised race, not helped by the fact that 90% of the participants had no race experience so were just adding to the chaos :)

We were looking to run-walk for fun, so not competitive, and that went well. We had fun and enjoyed ourselves but the colour stations were not manned, the starts were a complete mystery, the transport management was ludicrous and most facilities lacking. For that reason I cannot recommend our race (Color me rad).

The concept is great, so just make sure your event is properly coordinated if you want to take part!
  • callmestephanie
    callmestephanie Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I really wanted to do one with a bunch of friends from a local "healthy lifestyle group"... but even with early registration it was so expensive. It told me it'd be one price but then kept adding fees on top. It was ridiculous!

Some day I want to but it'll definitely be "this is something different to do for fun", not an actual race or anything.
  • lewoldt
    lewoldt Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I've done a couple and had a great time. doing another in a few months
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've done one in New Mexico and I loved it, I didn't have any bad experiences with the color that they throw, I thought it was a blast. If you're a serious runner, I've noticed that they kind of just go around the color stations because usually you have to slow down to get the color thrown on you, so there is that.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Doing my first in September. I'm a new runner and will be my first marathon of any sort. I also plan to do the zombie run in November (now that one is expensive).
  • Novus175
    Novus175 Posts: 80
    Options
    Color Runs are definitely not for someone looking for a serious athletic race. It's just about having FUN. I did one last year with friends and we had a total blast. It was very well organized and we didn't have any bad experiences with the color throwers.

What I really loved was seeing how this event brought out people that you wouldn't see at a race - overweight people, people in wheelchairs, etc. And there were people of all ages - from toddlers to geriatrics - and lots of families. A fun race like the Color Run motivates people who normally probably wouldn't exercise to get out there and MOVE. Maybe we wouldn't be such a sedentary obese culture if we allowed people to realize that you can be active even if you can't run an 8-minute mile...and that being active can be a very fun experience. That was just a really emotional thing for me.

Go prepared for crowds. Go prepared to get very messy. Go prepared to be silly. You'll never experience anything quite like it, I promise you that.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    So, since OP asked in 2012, I am wondering if she did it and what she thought?
    :happy:
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I did a 5k Colour Run a few weeks ago and it was a lot of fun! It definitely is not for someone who's looking to seriously race and be timed and placed and everything. My friend and I alternated between running and walking the distance. It's hard to run the entire time anyway because at the colour stations there's so much powder in the air and gets a little hard to breathe, plus you slow down to get the colour thrown on you! I don't know if I would do it again - I'd prefer to compete, but if you're looking for a fun experience then I would recommend it :)
  • sukiwabi
    sukiwabi Posts: 221 Member
    Options

lol, i was sitting here thinking the whole time about how played out the whole color run thing is...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

DAMMIT. Foiled again.

BREAKING_NEWS_-_Thread_Resurrected21_Dead_thread_br_zpsa668274a.jpg
  • CeeCeeMee
    CeeCeeMee Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    *edited to add* I hadn't realized this thread was that old. :laugh: /edit

I did my first Color Run in April and am already registered for another in September. It was a blast! The white Color Run t-shirt I bought is now nicely tie-dyed and so is one of my sports bras. The color is already fading, but I still smile every time I see them.

There are a few things first time Color Runners need to know; (sorry so long and disjointed)
    1) There is a reason Color Run touts itself as "The Happiest 5K on Earth." People are there to have fun. Yes it is a 5K, but the run part is actually secondary to the color part. If you don't know this before hand, you will probably not like it.
    2) Bring your child, niece, nephew, grandchild, neighbor's child, etc. to "run" with you. Hype up the color and make sure they wear goofy sunglasses and maybe a bandana over their mouths, but let them see that exercise CAN be fun!!
    3) You WILL have colored corn starch thrown at you. Although the volunteers were good about keeping the containers around waist level at each color point, the slightest wind will blow the corn starch around. Wear glasses or sunglasses and maybe a brightly colored bandana to cover your mouth/nose when necessary.
    4) If you want to actually run, line up in the first or second wave. If you do a mix of walk/jog, position yourself in the middle waves. If you're just out to get some fun exercise, position yourself in the later waves.
    5) This is NOT a timed run. There are people there who may have never run in a race before. This means that many will not know "marathon etiquette." Please don't get angry with them for this lack of knowledge. Remember that there was once a time that you didn't know it either. Put yourself in their position and imagine what would have happened if someone had yelled, berated, or glared at you on your first time around. Don't turn them off from wanting to learn more.
    6) If you're not running, bring friends or be prepared to make new ones. Honestly, you will all be so covered in color that you can't help but smile. Smiles are a welcome sight to strangers in the same silly situation.
    7) You will find color in the strangest places after the race and will need to take several showers before all the color is gone. If it helps, think of the color as a badge of honor.
    8) There are professional photographers along the way. Even if you don't wish to buy any photos, remember to check them out when you get the email notice a week or so later. You'll be laughing all over again.

and lastly,
    9) Have fun!