Chinese Food

Options
2»

Replies

• turboandrea
    Options
    I've lost almost 27 pounds and we have Chinese food as our treat almost every week. I exercise and eat properly throughout the week. I am addicted to Chinese food so I really need the treat to help me understand that a healthy lifestyle doesn't have to be restrictive.

Now I get 1 cup of white steamed rice and then beef teriyaki on skewers. It's not a million calories, but I can get it for about 700-800 calories. It's totally worth it for a cheat dinner. Also, sushi is a great option as long as you don't eat an entire boat to yourself, lol.
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if you like Sesame Chicken, but I saw this recipe and it seems better than the normally deep fried and covered in liquid candy recipe that you get at most restaurants.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/show/1838
  • everyoung
    everyoung Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Worked in Chinese Restaurants, so I know Chinese food isn't really the best choices of diet. That being said, everyone can still make better chocie when come to any kind of food. When order Chinese food, make sure to let your waitperson know you want to leave out the MSG, low on salt and steamed dish instead fried. Sause (white or brown) on the side. White rice instead fried. Try not to eat any soup comes with your meal because those choices not the best. It loaded with MSG & butter (Yes, Chinese restaurants use butter to make the soup taste better). Best choice would be homemade Chinese food, you know exactly what's in your dish and how much calories.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    haha Chinese food=indigestion. I seriously CAN NOT eat it. Like five mins later I will be in the bathroom in agony (sorry TMI :) yeah. plus high high sodium. If I have to go there fro a function or family thing, ill stick to plain rice (I always check if they have brown) and steamed veggies. maybe a little chicken with no sauce. nothing fried :S
  • tsimehc2000
    tsimehc2000 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I used to go to a Mongolian Grill buffet. There I would get Chicken, onion, cabbage and other veggies with a little Szechuan sauce. That was great and a lot of protein and very low carbs (didn't add noodles or rice to it).
  • lindsay03811
    Options
    Thank you all! I personally myself only eat the spicy chicken with veggies/and steamed rice.. and that is on an EVERY now and then basis... he could eat it every day! For example, those microwavanble home chinese cups -- he could eat every day.. and as stated above, I try to tell him -- it is not a good option for his diet as well.. BUT I will def take this information, and make sure I stay away from :)
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe I'm making this week for General Tso's chicken, I also have a few others like Sweet and Sour Chicken, Chicken & Broccoli, Szechuan Chicken, etc. I LOVE chinese but if you make it at home, it can be yummy and good for you!
  • tao223
    tao223 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you that I work in a chinese restaurant and have gained alot of weight because i would eat so much of the food from there. However! i would eat things like general tso's chicken and honey chicken and alot of the fat things. If you request to have things steamed and not stir fried it will cut out a ton of the calories. Also you have to get the sauces on the side and i recomment sauce like the white sauce or curry sauce or garlic sauce. They dont have very much sugar or salt and they usually consist of chicken stock, 1 tsp of sugar and 2 tsp's of salt. and depending on your restaurant 1 tsp of msg. thats for the clear or curry sauces. If you have the garlic or brown sauce it will have more sodium due to the soy sauce that is used to darken it. I would stay away from rice but i ocassionally have about 4 oz of rice and it fills me right up, If you look in my diary whenever i have steamed chicken and broccoli its from the chinese restaurant that i work at.

Just remember to stay away from super fried foods and the sweet foods they serve there and you should be fine. I usually take my food home and weigh out what i want to eat and then chow down. I am full, under my calories and i didnt have to cook cuz i got take out :-)
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind of Eastern food we're talking here...

Awesome: Mongolian BBQ, sushi / sashimi (watch some of the sauces though), Pho, Curries / satays, traditional Chinese dishes and stir fries - not the ones loaded with sugary sauces, roast meats, and Szechuan style meat dishes.

Not awesome - standard Chinese takeout loaded with deep fried meats, MSG, egg rolls, sugary sauces, or eating loads of naan at Indian joints - a little goes a long way, people. Excessive rice...not good.

The best options are those that are closest to traditionally prepared dishes. Obviously from what I listed above, I eat meat and consider roasted and BBQ-ed meat a fairly healthful choice. If I make oriental dishes at home, I cook with oils or fats - sesame, coconut, ghee...and would consider these a healthful choice in moderation.
  • Julia72
    Options
    I have to say I agree with Brendansmom. I will not deprive myself from something I want to eat however, I won't go crazy and have it a couple times a week or overload my plate with it...portion control. Another thing is, we are all here counting our calories and working out so if you want something bad enough, you can work it off. If we start depriving ourselfs of the foods we like all together, we will only set our selves up to fail. Everything we eat is a "diet" some choose healthy diets and some...well not so healthy, but having chinese food once in a while does not mean you have are choosing a not so healthy diet. It just means you have to work it off. It's your choice :smile:

Just adding my 2 cents. :wink: