What percent Carbs/Fats/Protein should we aim for?

Options
2»

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're doing. If you're just following a standard eating plan, then 40/30/30 is probably good. However, if you're following something like keto or low carb, your macros should be 5/75/25. So it really depends on how you're eating. I eat keto, so my macros are the example I provided.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I keep changing mine because I really don't know what i'm doing :laugh: I basically, just try to eat at a deficit, i'm not too good with the macro thing lol

This is pretty much what I end up doing as well, LOL. I just switched to 40C/30P/30F, with an emphasis on trying to meet my protein goals. I found that I'm stalling out on my strength gains, so I thought that perhaps adding more protein would help with that.
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    whatever you choose, remember you still need to enjoy food, i tried to go protein heavy at first believing this would help me lose more weight quicker, but got fed-up with the restrictions. if you are trying to lose weight, i would worry more about how many calories than what specific macros make up those calories. you cant go wrong with a balance of carbs/protein/fats, i wouldnt fret too much about sticking to a rigid macro formula. a calorie is a calorie.
  • niknokd
    niknokd Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    MFP's default settings tend to be higher carb/lower protein than a lot of people prefer. I do 45C/25P/30F but I usually go over my goal on protein! :)
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Mine has always been 50% carbs, 20% protein, 30% fats
    I tried to increase my protein intake to 25% but it didn't last long, so I recently got back to 20%.
    I don't know my BF% and my lean mass either, but this works for me. I usually can live on less fats but I can't say no to my carbs.
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Here's how I set mine: first, I figured out my TDEE-20%, which was about 2000.

Then, I figured out my protein needs, based on my BF%/lean body mass: 112g

112 x 4 = 448 calories. Round it up to 500. That's 25% of 2000.

Then my fat%. I think the calculation was body weight x .3 = 48g. 48 x 9 = 432. I also rounded this up to 500, also 25%.

The rest is carbs.

That's how I arrived at 50/25/25. I haven't seen any reason to change the ratio as I've been losing weight, so I've stuck with it.

Every day I pay the most attention to the protein column on my Food page: am I getting close to 112g? If not, step it up. If I am, woot, now I pay attention to overall calories.

That is exactly the way you should do it!!! Great job!!! As for the poster after that said carbs first because doctor said it was necessary for diabetes - that's wrong. The American Diabetes Assoc. FINALLY recanted that erroneous information.
    http://www.atkins.com/Science/Articles---Library/Diabetes/American-Diabetes-Association-Reverses-Itself-on-L.aspx
    I first heard about the reversal in recommendation from a medical class I was taking online on Diabetes from the University of Copenhagen.
    No, it's not wrong. Some people are on medication that can result in dangerous hypos if they don't manage their carbs eg. Metformin. The website you linked is the Atkins website pushing their own agenda. The ADA recommends diets that suit the individual, which may or may not be low carb depending on the situation.

Anyway, I do 50-55C, 20-25P, 25F Too much protein does my digestive system no favours.
    Diabetics absolutely need to MANAGE their carbs and they need to manage their medication. However they can reduce their carbs and medication and do better.
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    After I learned a little bit of what type of Metabolism I have (I'm a Balanced Oxidizer), I have found that eating 40/30/30 works best for me. You will need to learn what percentages work best for you. Everyone is different.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to test out the macro ratios too. Right now, I'm doing 65% carb, 20% fat, and 15% protein and this ratio feels pretty good to me.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of all things in balance. I set mine at 40C/30P/30F. I usually end up at 45/25/30 . If I feel I'm too low in the protein area, I have a protein shake. I find less fat and I have hunger problems. Fat and proteins tend to make me feel fuller longer. If I eat about that ration, I never have hunger issues, but everyone is a bit different. Also I find I feel great about that level and workouts seem to work good that way.

So 40/30/30, if you go to a sandwhich place, load up on veggies, sometimes double the meat depending upon the place and skip the chips and it works out pretty close.