1 to 3lb swings in my weigth ?

Options
I am noticing lately that if I weigh myself daily I can see swings of 1 to 3 lbs per day. I do not worry to much about it as the trend on a weekly basis seems to be down but I do find it odd that It is more than a pound at times. I can only assume that it must be water retention as I always weigh myself in the morning after using the restroom and before eating breakfast.
I know I am doing good overall this is day 26 of using MFP and have stuck to my diet and exercise goals. I am down 11 pounds in that time as of this morning.

Replies

• myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I agree it's probably mostly water retention and release. I gained 5 pounds one day after I ate most of a big bag of salted pumpkin seeds in the shell. They were fantastic.
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! As long as you're on a downward trend I wouldn't worry about it. Your weight will fluctuate with your water balance. That is why some people weigh in only once a week at the same time. I can't resist getting on the scale every day.
  • stuart160
    stuart160 Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    It's just water retention probably from either something salty in your diet a day or two before or from not drinking enough water. 11 pounds down in 26 days? You're doing great keep it up.
  • dearannna
    dearannna Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My weight goes up and down like that and I don't really bother about it. As long as the overall trend is down then it's all good!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily as well, and have the same ups and downs. Overall trend is down, so it's all good. Taking measurements is good too, generally a better way to see progress since the scale does tend to be so fickle.
  • meg099
    meg099 Posts: 14
    Options
    If you are going to weigh daily, try to stick with the same time each day. I usually weigh in the morning before I've eaten anything and after I've gone to the bathroom. If you keep this in mind, your results should be at least slightly more consistent and will give you a better idea of actual weight loss.