yoga instead of the gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I would assume that yoga is the sort of "weight training" that will help you maintain your muscle and strengthen it but it is NOT the kind of "weight training" that would make your muscles grow in size. Not knowing what your goals are exactly not sure how to answer the question of if yoga is a proper substitute for what you were doing.

I do yoga, I like yoga...I think its great for flexibility, balance and core strength. I don't think its a muscle hypertrophy program that is going to allow me to increase my muscle mass but I think its an important part of my fitness.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    lol, I didn't even realize there was such a strenuous Yoga technique - the Yoga I do twice a day is just really really relaxing stretches to get my muscles loosened up for a real workout. - this is cool and gives me more things to research.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    lol, I didn't even realize there was such a strenuous Yoga technique - the Yoga I do twice a day is just really really relaxing stretches to get my muscles loosened up for a real workout. - this is cool and gives me more things to research.

chaturanga man, just hold that pose and try to run by bringing your feet to the side and your knees up rapid fire. Or just go from downward dog to plank to chauranga to upward dog a bunch of times...mix in things like side-planks. or balance postures like half-moon. Will get those shoulders and legs burning pretty quick.

Yoga I do has me dripping sweat after 30 minutes of it in a cool room. I'll admit I don't get the point of doing yoga in a hot room if you are going to do a bunch of power moves which are going to get you plenty hot as is. Unless I am missing something a sauna is a good place to take a nap or stretch not a good place for an intense workout.

Clearly all bodyweight though so big-time muscle building it is not.
  • tanyamartha
    Options
    Well my vote goes to yoga..It's really very relaxing and extravagant by all means... In Yoga asan is merely very important they play vital role to regulate metabolism with ease..
  • p8liwag
    p8liwag Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I just started doing yoga although it's relaxing but it's also stressful because I'm trying to preformed these difficult moves. Forgot to mention I'm not flexible at all :'(
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Yoga is awesome but it is not progressive in terms of strength gains. So you get strong enough to do a particular movement or series of movements when you do yoga. With weight training you keep progressively getting stronger and stronger at the movements you practice because you are adding progressive resistance.

Doing the yoga will get you strong enough for most things. If you need to get stronger you have to find a way to add resistance.

Like progressive bodyweight exercises, once a particular movement or posture becomes comfortable, there is always a progression to work towards; so yoga is just as progressive strength-wise as calisthenics or weighted strength training; as well as many other aspects.
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I love yoga!
    ^^^ this
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    yoga ftw!
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned on here that yoga is not progressive. I think it is, because as you get better you hold the poses for longer. Surely holding a plank, to give juste one example, for 30 seconds instead of 10 is going to build more muscle?
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I just started doing yoga although it's relaxing but it's also stressful because I'm trying to preformed these difficult moves. Forgot to mention I'm not flexible at all :'(

Part of yoga for me is accepting where my body's at and not judging myself for my ability level. It's easy to get frustrated and want to push or force change, but it's acceptance is the way to improvement.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I did the 108 sun salutations today and boy I can tell you I'm beat tonight and going to be sore tomorrow. Yoga is the one exercise I really enjoy and do regularly. I have now hit my goal weight and am loving my yoga body. And since on maintenance calories my body is still getting better with yoga.
  • Shokei
    Shokei Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have been practicing yoga for 9 months after a back injury. It is a fantastic journey in physical and mental self healing and I'm the guy that would "never" even consider yoga. And besides that, women look great in yoga pants, just saying.
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yoga is not a competitive sports, you cant compare it with other sport. As per my suggestion yoga is better then gym, yoga allows you to raise your heartbeat. Yoga is the everything that a body needs, yoga will help you to loose the weight, while gym is fastest way to loose the weight but it was not long lasting you have to maintain your diet while gyming. Yoga is secure through out the lifetime. Yoga is source to unite your body and mind.
  • pattyarc
    pattyarc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Hot Power Fusion Yoga for about 2 months now, going 3-4 times a week. It's by far the best thing I have ever done. My arm strength and tone, core and general mental health have improved dramatically. Just added a low-carb diet this week and expect to see some weight loss results with the combination. Every class is a work in progress - that's why they call it a practice. Glad to hear others are enjoying it.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    This is great.. I plan on taking yoga a lot more seriously after the summer.
  • BryceThomson
    Options
    Yoga is awesome but it is not progressive in terms of strength gains. So you get strong enough to do a particular movement or series of movements when you do yoga. With weight training you keep progressively getting stronger and stronger at the movements you practice because you are adding progressive resistance.

Doing the yoga will get you strong enough for most things. If you need to get stronger you have to find a way to add resistance.

This guy nailed it!
  • Cherieb42
    Cherieb42 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have had great success with yoga and pilates (reformer) instead of the gym which doesn't interest me. If it doesn't interest me, I won't stick with it. Pilates especially works with your own body weight and I do vinyasa flow yoga and my arms and back are very muscular.