Sleep Quality and Appetite

Options
I have been sleeping really badly lately and for the last month I have been constantly hungry. Just all the time needing to eat. It is getting stupid and it is really starting to annoy me. I have been really stressed and really really busy as well which doesn't help but I am wondering if anyone has seen a study on how sleep quality effects appetite.

I am sure I have seen something about it somewhere and I am just interested to see if anyone else has a reputable source of information.

Fingers crossed understanding why I have an insatiable appetite will help me to get a hold of myself and get back on track!

Many thanks for all your help!!! :)

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    There is a link between weight gain and sleep.

You have two hormones that it impacts specifically - ghrelin and leptin. Ghrelin signals your brain that it's time to eat, and leptin signals when it's time to stop eating (the satiated feeling).

As you can guess, lack of sleep produces more ghrelin and less leptin.

And if you're tired, you may be more inclined to snack - either for a sugar rush or just to stay awake.

Two quick studies, but there are more out there.

http://www.journalsleep.org/ViewAbstract.aspx?pid=29022
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/sleep/

I was diagnosed with severe sleep deprivation in March and am being treated. I feel like a whole new person now that I'm actually getting sleep.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a proven link between sleep and weight. There have been numerous studies on the topic. A quick online search and you'll find many if you care to read some. In a nutshell, not sleeping well makes it difficult to lose so if you can correct your sleep issues it should help you a lot.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I knew I wasn't going potty!! I am loathe to Google things as I work in health care and know it can be a minefield but recommendations work the same but with better results normally!

I am hoping once the pre holiday anxiety clears up I will be ok!! Fingers crossed!!