"calorie crazies"

Options
Hello,

So I'm currently back on MFP trying to lose weight after a major regain. I lost 12 pounds in 5 months last year and got down to my ideal weight. I was relentlessly using myfitnesspal to log EVERYTHING---little snacks, a few bites of an appetizer, a taste of someone's cheesecake. This annoyed the hell out of my friends, who pointed out that I had become obsessive. Maybe that's true--I could not stand to eat something or order something off a menu without being able to at least kind of calculate the calories. I was doing 1200 cals/day so every one really did count! My best friend said I had a case of the "calorie crazies".

Eventually I started trying to be normal and just eating real, healthy foods, with the occasional treat, without logging calories. At first it was nearly impossible--how do people hold themselves accountable? I still don't know. What if I unknowingly eat a salad that's 1000 calories? What if I'm consistently going over my number--and don't realize it until I've tacked on 10 lbs?

Well, clearly that happened, and then some. But unlike some people, I know exactly why I gained weight. I was eating more, and binge eating pretty frequently, and eating greasy food late at night, and doing all the things I know I'm not supposed to do. I don't know if this all had to do with not counting calories, or feeling some sort of "freedom", but I think that the great thing about MFP and calorie logging is that it does give you a sense of accountability. It's like a little voice that reminds you not to mindlessly eat, or not to order dessert when you don't REALLY want it (I'm a server--we're great at making stuff sound delicious). And it's the only way that I really feel in control of my body.

Do I want to meticulously count calories for the rest of my life? Not particularly, but I feel like once you start, you really can't stop. Not sure how to find a balance. Has anyone else had a similar experience with getting on/off the MFP train?

-Christanna

Replies

• WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I decided that taking the time required to weigh and log my food is my gift to myself. I'm worth the effort. (I've lost over 60 pounds in total)

I have a few co-workers who give me 'the look' when they see how carefully I deal with my food intake but whatever. There's that saying: "What other people think about you is none of your business."

You're the only one in charge of your health. You know MFP logging works for you so go forth and conquer! :flowerforyou:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

You became the annoying friend. Why didn't you just log without them watching? I mostly use my phone anyway so there's hardly any way for people to know what I'm doing unless they're looking right at it. Otherwise I can just catch things up at home

I wonder with social media, do people ever ask, "do I want to obsessively check in with this for the rest of my life??" Compare that to MyFitnessPal which has got to be infinitely more useful... I think I will keep using it till there is a more evolved tool. But MFP won't be outdone - they keep making new partners and rolling out updates :smile:
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Yep, pretty much.

I haven't found the balance yet bug hopefully one day before becoming middle aged I will. I need to log meticulously.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

I wonder with social media, do people ever ask, "do I want to obsessively check in with this for the rest of my life??" Compare that to MyFitnessPal which has got to be infinitely more useful... I think I will keep using it till there is a more evolved tool. But MFP won't be outdone - they keep making new partners and rolling out updates :smile:

I LOVE this. I had a similar "epiphany" about the possibility of being a "lifer" when it comes to calorie logging. I "can't" go a day without checking my FB (and I enjoy this), and I treat MFP the same. I check in with friends to see how they're doing, let them know how I'm doing, etc. on both MFP and FB. Both useful for different aspects of my life.
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    been tracking calories for a long time and now I am gradually going by eye, I am verifying once in a while to make sure that. im not way off or when it is something I have never eaten.

No point to wait to gain 5 pounds on the scale to adjust. Water fluctuation is part of life and for me it averages 2 pounds for about 24h if I see that they linger I act right away and reduce a little my food intake or increase my exercises.

In the past have lost 60 pounds counting calories, maintained for 2 years but menopause hit me an my calorie needs decreased and I got lazy and did not adjust and regained 30, back to 21 pounds down.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories. I used MFP to log my macros, etc. and my exercise. Now I haven't been counting and just eating good, nutrient-dense food, staying really active, and only eating when I am hungry or my workout calls for it. I am actually dropping weight again and eating less. I can maintain without counting. I go months at a time. I have been calorie counting since grade school though so there are no surprises for me in terms of calories. Plus, I don't eat a lot of fast food or processed food so it's hard to over do it on veggies and lean proteins!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I like counting the calories and love that I found this site.

But if you want to lose weight without counting, you can.

Buy fresh food and prepare it yourself. White meat, no red. No cheese, no mayo. Exercise.

If you eat fresh food, it will be difficult to gain. You're almost guaranteed to lose if you exercise. :)
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Counting calories was such a pain, I never got into it. I did count calories of food that I bought, I tell you that it's far easier to get home from the supermarket and count up all of the food that I had just bought, and divide that over say 6 days as an estimate.

I have found "watching my weight" far easier. It's far easier to stand on a scale for 15 seconds and log it in your records than to be messing around with different amounts and stuff.
  • slightlydiminishing
    slightlydiminishing Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating healthier foods when you have cravings. Easier said than done obviously, but once you do this for a while, your body starts craving the healthy foods. For example, if you're craving something sweet, try fruit instead of chocolatey whatever. You'd be amazed what raw foods can do to your metabolism
  • Tora32
    Tora32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The social media comparison pretty much sums up why I was so willing to start on here. I already have a few sites I check pretty regularly, and I've been pretty devoted for a couple years now about tracking my reading progress on Goodreads, so as obsessive as it might seem to some, this really wasn't that big of a step for me at this point in my life. Not sure about getting back off after reaching my goal. For sure I'll stick around for a while at least on maintainence as well as find a long-term solution for my binge-snacking habits, but otherwise I'm hoping to figure something out when I get there. Regular weigh-ins would probably be one idea, or I could just stick around forever. We'll see.

I haven't had to do a lot of logging in public yet, and when I do, so far I've pretty much been able to quietly (or not since I keep forgetting to mute the app :P) zap the barcode on whatever I'm eating, or a lot of times just bring stuff from home I've pre-logged.
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    OMG this was me when i first started using this app it drove my husband up the wall. Especially as i'm one of these people who would get really stressed out if i went over. What i do now is either just do it on my phone quickly while people are chatting or i write it down somewhere and then add it when i get home. If i'm going out for a meal somewhere and i know what i'm having i sometimes add it before i go as well. This stopped me being the annoying friend lol. It does still annoy my husband sometimes that i have to do it but he'll get used to it
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Hello,

So I'm currently back on MFP trying to lose weight after a major regain. I lost 12 pounds in 5 months last year and got down to my ideal weight. I was relentlessly using myfitnesspal to log EVERYTHING---little snacks, a few bites of an appetizer, a taste of someone's cheesecake. This annoyed the hell out of my friends, who pointed out that I had become obsessive. Maybe that's true--I could not stand to eat something or order something off a menu without being able to at least kind of calculate the calories. I was doing 1200 cals/day so every one really did count! My best friend said I had a case of the "calorie crazies".

Eventually I started trying to be normal and just eating real, healthy foods, with the occasional treat, without logging calories. At first it was nearly impossible--how do people hold themselves accountable? I still don't know. What if I unknowingly eat a salad that's 1000 calories? What if I'm consistently going over my number--and don't realize it until I've tacked on 10 lbs?

Well, clearly that happened, and then some. But unlike some people, I know exactly why I gained weight. I was eating more, and binge eating pretty frequently, and eating greasy food late at night, and doing all the things I know I'm not supposed to do. I don't know if this all had to do with not counting calories, or feeling some sort of "freedom", but I think that the great thing about MFP and calorie logging is that it does give you a sense of accountability. It's like a little voice that reminds you not to mindlessly eat, or not to order dessert when you don't REALLY want it (I'm a server--we're great at making stuff sound delicious). And it's the only way that I really feel in control of my body.

Do I want to meticulously count calories for the rest of my life? Not particularly, but I feel like once you start, you really can't stop. Not sure how to find a balance. Has anyone else had a similar experience with getting on/off the MFP train?

-Christanna
    my friends don't even know I use this app. Unless you make it super obvious, don't see why anyone would need to know
  • haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    None of my friends know I use the site, but I would not hesitate to let them know if I thought they might be interested. I did tell my parents because I know they occasionally do diet fads. Personally, I would rather know my caloric intake than guess. Since when is knowledge a bad thing? So what if someone did call me a "calorie crazy"? Even if you were mother Teresa, someone is going to talk crap about you, or your choices. If they want to be narrow minded and judgemental, then sobeit. Just do what feels easy/right to you.
  • kazzsjourney2goal
    kazzsjourney2goal Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i think its important to decide whether your friends think having the "calorie crazies" is a big enough issue to not do what you know works? As someone else said....do it on the quiet...i track my food the night before...so most of my tracking is done privately...but I could care less what others say/think about it :)
  • christannahoner
    Options
    Hmmm. I didn't so much mean that I advertised my logging, or that I talked about it. But when I outright refused to eat things, freaked out about having dressing on my salad, and excused myself before dessert came out, close friends thought something was up.

The only way I can think to lose weight is to obsessively count my calories, with no excuses, but I don't know how to do this and still "be normal", is the problem.
  • christannahoner
    Options
    Hello,

-Christanna
    my friends don't even know I use this app. Unless you make it super obvious, don't see why anyone would need to know

Well, some people thought I had an eating disorder because of the weight loss, types of foods I would eat/wouldn't eat, etc. And to be honest, I avoided eating dinner at certain places, going out on certain nights, if I wanted to avoid going over my calories, so people noticed. I know the benefits of MFP and how much it helped me before...but I've forgotten how to just enjoy life without stressing about calories, and I don't know that I'll ever get that back. That's kind of what I was getting at. Once your mind is tuned in to calorie counting, I don't think you can turn it off. However, as long as I lose weight, I guess I can deal with that.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    OMG this was me when i first started using this app it drove my husband up the wall. Especially as i'm one of these people who would get really stressed out if i went over. What i do now is either just do it on my phone quickly while people are chatting or i write it down somewhere and then add it when i get home. If i'm going out for a meal somewhere and i know what i'm having i sometimes add it before i go as well. This stopped me being the annoying friend lol. It does still annoy my husband sometimes that i have to do it but he'll get used to it

^^
    This! My friends made so many comments about my logging that I've learned to either pre-log, to log whilst others are engaged in conversation with one another, and most often I jot down what I've eaten in a notepad for logging later.

One thing is certain; I don't plan on stopping logging anytime soon, and could easily be considered a "lifer"!
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    i've been obsessive over tracking my food. i had dinner tonight at my friends house with his family and tracked it in front of them, they even helped with a bar code. if your friends give you a hard time about tracking your food and trying to be healthier then they arent that good of friends.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Logging the calories is one thing. Then LOOK at your diary, see what were good choices, what could be improved. That's how you educate yourself and learn what works and what doesn't.

Eating out, I'll go for fish and veg, and leave the potatoes/ rice/ bread. That's pretty simple to do. Many places have calorie counts on the menu, so again, it's not that difficult to make a suitable choice.

I guess 80% of the time I'm eating from a menu selection that I've developed while using MFP. I have a range of trusted breakfasts and lunches that I know fit well into my goal, and a bit of wriggle room for the odd meal out.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Hello,

-Christanna

Well, some people thought I had an eating disorder because of the weight loss, types of foods I would eat/wouldn't eat, etc. And to be honest, I avoided eating dinner at certain places, going out on certain nights, if I wanted to avoid going over my calories, so people noticed. I know the benefits of MFP and how much it helped me before...but I've forgotten how to just enjoy life without stressing about calories, and I don't know that I'll ever get that back. That's kind of what I was getting at. Once your mind is tuned in to calorie counting, I don't think you can turn it off. However, as long as I lose weight, I guess I can deal with that.

I suspect people started to think you had disordered eating because you were overly restricting by only eating 1200 cals, rather than just because you counted calories.

Try setting a more reasonable calorie goal, aiming to lose just 0.5 or 1 lb per week. You will not have to be so restrictive about what you can/can't eat and will be less likely to start binge eating and regain the weight.