Success Doesn't Last

Options
4mricandy
4mricandy Posts: 159 Member
I can't be the only one that has experienced this - lose the weight by eating proportionally, exercising, and just being committed - only to regain the weight later.
Stories?

Replies

• chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I've definitely been there. In my mid-20s I went from the 170s down to the 140s and gained it all back and then some. About 3 years ago I had a really good run and was probably one good week from getting out of the 200s from the 230s when I basically freaked out because of how my body was changing and quit. Apparently I had gotten comfortable with my fat self and didn't know how to handle a smaller me.

I'm back at it now though and am almost 10 pounds down already just by picking back up with my old (healthy) habits. I don't really have a choice but to stick with it this time for the long haul. My long-term health can't handle all this excess poundage.
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've been there. I lose 2 stone and was on top of the world....then it all crept back on slowly. My problem is once i've gotten to my goal weight i get lazy and that's when the sneaky calories jump back on my legs and tummy
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I've been to that rodeo too many times to count. I didn't tend to change things for life, I was always looking at immediate results. I eat too little and that always back fires on me. I had an ED for a long time and the cycle was pretty brutal.

This time I'm trying to change my lifestyle, as successful people say, and not get obsessive or starve myself. It is hard to lose weight, but I'm glad there are a lot of people on MFP have long term success. That inspires me.
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278
    Options
    the only way it does is if you loose it living a lifestyle that you can maintain forever.
  • my2kin04
    my2kin04 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    oh yes, definitely. I think everyone on here can relate to that. This time I am coming up with a game plan though: work out until I lose the weight, then maintain by two classes of zumba ( my work out of choice) a week. I think that should help.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    If you're doing something sustainable like finding out your tdee and eating at a modest deficit (while learning to make your everyday favorite foods fit), and exercising whatever amount is reasonable and enjoyable for you (while exercise isn't necessary for the weight loss I encourage it), you will lose the weight. Then be able to eat at you tdee and maintain that weight loss.
    I yo-yo'd like crazy during my early to mid twenties because I didn't yet understand those concepts.
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    I put 22# (is that one stone?) back on after a death in the family. I'm back to 190 now but struggling to go lower. Dang body is revolting!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I lost and regained many times in my 20's/30's. I would go on a 'diet', lose the weight I wanted, celebrate by returning to my old style of eating, and then regain everything I lost (+ usually a few new pounds).

Back in 2011, I decided I didn't want to be 'fat and 40', so I committed to a lifestyle change. I didn't 'go on a diet'. I made a very small calorie cut (-250 calories a day from my TDEE). I didn't have a list of 'bad' foods. I didn't eat diet cheese or fat-free salad dressing. I continued to eat everything I liked - just portion-controlled and within my calorie limit for the day. Most days, I ate around 2200 calories. I started walking my errands, taking the stairs, and just moving around more.

I lost 66 pounds in about a year and have kept it off ever since (2+ years). I have to be diligent and vigilant, but I basically eat what I want and never feel deprived.

I think 'going on diets' is what sets people up to fail. Going on a diet implies a temporary change. You can't make a temporary change and expect permanent results. :smile:
  • kittenkris
    kittenkris Posts: 112
    Options
    Ha! I do that every year. I loose 30 to 40 pounds over the summer only to gain it back during the school year. I teach first grade. As soon as it gets busy I stop exercising and start eating too much sugar. Hopefully this year will be different and I will continue to work out even after school starts....I have to now. I am 50 and my body can no longer handle it. I don't want diabetes. That is why I am going to still eat what I want, just less of it!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Many times. But if I spend half my adult life fat instead of all of it, might that not be counted as a success of sorts in the end?

Anyway, I won't judge it by that regardless. I'm going to do what makes me happy, just as often as I can. If not being fat ever seems less conducive to happiness than being fat, bring on the cookies! Meanwhile, I count this as a success, whether temporary or permanent.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I can so relate .... I lost 78lbs back in 09/2010 ....then tragic things and life in general got in my way and I gave up to gain it all back and then some ....I was gone from this site from the end of 2010 until Jan 2013... weight seems to be coming off much slower this time around but I am determined more so then ever ....
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I did my first diet when i was 14. I recall i ate a lot of lemons. Lost 10-15 during summer break and started junior high, keep my weight under control till my pregancy at 22 went from 118 to 165 on my 5'2" frame. Lost most of it by exercising at the spa, as it was called, and diet. Gained about 10lbs a year in my early 30s so at age 35 needed to lose about 30 lbs did so over a two year period again by diet and exercise, actually exercised alot even lifting freeweights which no women did at the gym, i loved the muscle hated cardio but did it cause i thought i had too, got back to 120s. Gained slowly in my 40 s quit smoking gained a little more, would lose maintain ,gain prob 10-12 lbs off and on but never let it get out of hand. Then late 40s hit and hormone hell couldnt lose a pound, tried everything i just kept getting bigger,finally hit 150 and started a bootcamp exercise class ,5 days aweek, it kicked my butt, it took a year and ahalf but ive lost 25 lbs back to 125. Would like to be around 115 but im maintaining and still lifting like crazy and its been two years and im not stopping. I even have all my progress pictures from 3 decades of gain/lose.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Success can only last if we continue to follow all of the changes we've made to lose the weight in the first place. I can see how it can be difficult to stick to an exercise regime that you don't really want to, or if you were following a very restrictive diet and finally cave and eat all the foods you've been missing; however, I wouldn't say the "success" is what doesn't last. I would say it's the person's commitment to their new lifestyle that may not last depending on how drastically they have altered it to lose the weight in the first place.

But you asked for people's experiences and I have yet to even meet my goal yet. This is just what I think based on reading people's threads on here looking for motivation after gaining back the weight.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I like my men with a beer belly, lol. I like big arms around me! So, I never understand why men worry. But I get that you do. :)

They say that you have to toss out this "All things in moderation" and switch to healthy food - make a lifestyle change - if you really want it to last. It not about controlling portions and exercising, because that's easily undone.

I don't have the secret for you. I don't think there is one. That's what what they say, though.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. This is the first time I've done it systematically, and the first time since college that I've added physical activity to the mix. Been maintaining and getting fitter/stronger/leaner for a year. So far, so good.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 "failures". I did atkins in my teens, and gained weight/felt sick/constipated. Started dreaming of bread. LOL, not a good one for a person who prefers a high carb way of eating!

My second failure was on the "body for life" diet. It involved 5 days a week at the gym, lifting weights, eating high protein, and having a cheat day once a week. Well I lost my weight, but after I moved out of my parents house, and got married, moved to a new state... well, those 5 times a week workouts didnt come with me.And as a new wife, I had more time to cook and eat meals.... no more "cup of cottage cheese and call that lunch"... And the pounds I lost came back QUICKLY.

i think this time I will be long term sucessful, because as long as I continue counting my calories, i can continue to eat what I choose. I also moderate my portion size(measuring cups, and eating from small bowls/plates) and take a daily walk (with my dog) for a light enjoyable workout. The weight came off slowly, and my lifestyle has changed quite a bit.

I also am not lying to myself. I DO eat fast food once a week or so. I DO eat frozen and convieniance meals. I dont like to run, or get sweaty and out of breath. I cant lie and pretend my lifestyle is different than what it is, So i had to find food at a fast food resturaunt that didnt go above calories, and I had to find frozen meals/quick meals that met my needs.
  • kallistei
    kallistei Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds when I was about 16 and weighed about 220 lbs. I looked a lot healthier and felt pretty good even though according to BMI charts I was still overweight (I'm pretty tall - about 5'10"), then went to college and gained it all back +60 more :/ I've also lost about 10-20 lbs a few times in the past 3 years, but always ended up gaining. I'm back again though and more determined to change my life instead of try to "quick fix" it.
  • Debssssssssss
    Debssssssssss Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you're doing something sustainable like finding out your tdee and eating at a modest deficit (while learning to make your everyday favorite foods fit), and exercising whatever amount is reasonable and enjoyable for you (while exercise isn't necessary for the weight loss I encourage it), you will lose the weight. Then be able to eat at you tdee and maintain that weight loss.
    I yo-yo'd like crazy during my early to mid twenties because I didn't yet understand those concepts.

Yup, this.
  • parkparksarah
    Options
    Happened also to me!! Its kinda annoying actually after all that effort just to gain more T___T
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I can't be the only one that has experienced this - lose the weight by eating proportionally, exercising, and just being committed - only to regain the weight later.
    Stories?

Presumably you regain because you stop eating right, exercising and being committed ie you go back to your old habits. You have to ditch the old habits permanently. It's about a lifestyle change. Your old lifestyle is making you fat. There's no short cut or easy way. You have to change because you want to. It's hard but it's like changing a lifetime habit. Finding stuff you enjoy for activities will help to keep you "exercising". Try a sport you've always wanted.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!