Protein Powder smells like rotten eggs???

Options
My sister-in-law recommended Isopure protein powder (unflavored), so I bought some. Only one the had available was the 3 pounder.
I started mixing a scoop with 16 oz bottle of water and Crystal lite mix and taking it to work. It was OK for about a week. Then when I would get home from work and open the bottle to refill it, the most horrible rotten egg odor came out of the bottle. I washed out the bottle and tried again, but it kept happening. I even tried different bottles, but it still happened. When I use the same bottles for just water with Crystal lite it doesn't smell, only when I use the protein powder. I couldn't use the powder anymore because it smelled so bad even to open it to drink, it would make me sick. I spent a lot for the protein powder just for this purpose.

Anyone ever have this happen before or know why it might be happening????

Replies

• JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I couldn't tell you what causes it, but I can say that I've tried all kinds of supplements and it doesn't matter how much you spend or the brand.. You need to wash out your container right after drinking it and either dry it by hand or let it air dry (Storing with the cap off or open helps as well). I've never had the problem again after just cleaning it out right after use.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    JayDavila nailed it - you have to rinse that **** out ASAP or you will get that smell. I haven't found anything that gets rid of it either. Fortunately this is a lesson we all usually learn only once LOL
  • gil_u
    gil_u Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I couldn't tell you what causes it, but I can say that I've tried all kinds of supplements and it doesn't matter how much you spend or the brand.. You need to wash out your container right after drinking it and either dry it by hand or let it air dry (Storing with the cap off or open helps as well). I've never had the problem again after just cleaning it out right after use.

^ THIS! You have to rinse it out as soon as you drink it. That smell will get you every time if you don't.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    If I don't wash out my bottles right away, they really do start to smell funky. A shaker bottle fell onto my car floor and I didn't see it. It spent the weekend on the floor of my car. Monday morning I got in and found it, and had to throw away the bottle because it stunk so bad! Lol. So try washing the bottle right after you finish and see if that helps. I personally hate the unflavored powder, I prefer Chocolate or vanilla powder, mixed with ice and almond milk or water. I think it tastes better :-)
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    It's basically pure protein. Think about how raw ground beef shrimp etc. would smell if you left them at room temperature for hours at a time in a damp and closed environment. Or don't because I can tell you from experience :sick: , but yes, the only option to prevent this is to rinse the bottle out IMMEDIATELY. That's just what protein smells like as it begins to decompose.