Encouraging words you tell yourself to stop overeating

Options
13»

Replies

• JenniferInNY
    JenniferInNY Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think preventative strategies are helpful – like don’t buy foods you tend to binge on. Also, sometimes I put tempting foods in the freezer (like butter and cheese). Then, I still have them in the house and can use them in moderation in cooking -- but it’s harder to randomly slather butter on a slice of toast for an unplanned snack.

Also, if I’m tempted, I go look at myself in the mirror and think about how much better I look now. It sounds self-absorbed, but it’s true.
  • mgs17hyg
    mgs17hyg Posts: 1
    Options
    I tell myself the following. "If I eat this I will suffer from shame and guilt. If I don't eat this I will suffer from hunger and stress. The first choice will make me fat and the second choice will make me thin. If I am going to suffer anyways, which path should I take?"
    This has kept me going long enough to last over a year, and I have lost 50lb so far. I am trying to last 10 more, and I am still using this method.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Being fit feels better than ANYTHING tastes

This
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I stood in the candy aisle during the height of PMS and didn't buy the dark chocolate. I'll be damned if I'm going to waste that feat by pigging out on some measly raisins!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    "I hate the treadmill". If a treadmill followed me around when I want to totally indulge in high calorie food, I'd probably be more strict about it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sophrosynic
    Options
    If I am depressed and feel the urge to eat, I tackle the depression rather than the eating. I normally get sad or frustrated about something related to my school work or academics. So, I go watch a few episodes of whatever show I like at the time. I laugh a little bit. I do things to take my mind off the stress/depression. And when I'm in a much better place depression-wise, I don't want to eat. I'm satisfied. :)

I've realized that I turn to food in these cases because I feel that that is something I can control. It's a, "Oh, if I'm not able to control my marks, then at least I can make myself happy this way." I try to move myself away from that mindset, find and do something else that controls my mind and happiness. And then I don't need to eat. :)

As for just regular old, "I want a bag of chips." type of craving, it's usually because I'm in a place that has those foods or sells those foods. So I just power-walk away.
  • Meerataila
    Options
    If I am depressed and feel the urge to eat, I tackle the depression rather than the eating. I normally get sad or frustrated about something related to my school work or academics. So, I go watch a few episodes of whatever show I like at the time. I laugh a little bit. I do things to take my mind off the stress/depression. And when I'm in a much better place depression-wise, I don't want to eat. I'm satisfied. :)

I've realized that I turn to food in these cases because I feel that that is something I can control. It's a, "Oh, if I'm not able to control my marks, then at least I can make myself happy this way." I try to move myself away from that mindset, find and do something else that controls my mind and happiness. And then I don't need to eat. :)

As for just regular old, "I want a bag of chips." type of craving, it's usually because I'm in a place that has those foods or sells those foods. So I just power-walk away.

Good for you! I wish I'd realized this about myself sooner.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    "Put it in your food diary first, and if you still want it, you can have it."

Practical. Effective. But not terribly Louise Hay.

Pretty much this. Usually seeing the calories in the red will stop me, but I'm still working on it.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    "Nothing changes if nothing changes."

"If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up."

"Every time you say, "F*** it, I don't care," there's a 100% chance that you'll care later."

"The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do."
  • Meerataila
    Options

"Every time you say, "F*** it, I don't care," there's a 100% chance that you'll care later."

Stealing this.
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I saw this somewhere on MFP and have made a bunch of little signs that I've taped around my kitchen including inside the fridge and the food cupboards:

"What I eat in private I wear in public"

I use it to remind myself that my 'secret' overeating doesn't stay secret for long.

PS....a huge thank you to whoever the OP of that slogan was!
  • jenniferv38
    jenniferv38 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I go brush my teeth...nothing tastes good after brushing your teeth.