When should I eat my protein bars?

Options
On Monday I'm starting my new meal plan and workout plan, and am wondering when durin the day I should eat my protein bars?

I have a protein shake that I'm going to start drinking that contains 60 grams of protein, and I'm going to be downing that after my daily workout. The protein bars are 32 grams or protein each, and I was wondering if I should eat them after my workout with my shake or at breakfast time with my eggs and whatever else I add.

Also, I'm currently 38 grams of protein away on my daily meal plan from hitting the 200 I need (I have somewhere from 180-200 pounds of lean body mass), any suggestions on what to eat? Already have a fish fillet and two grilled pieces of chicken on my menu, so I was thinking nuts?

Replies

• spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I eat them pretty much any time. Sometimes as part of my breakfast if I don't have an actual breakfast. Sometimes in the middle of the day if I'm hungry but not meal time. And sometimes after dinner... Quest bars (& the cookies & cream) are my favorite. But I don't eat more than 1 a day. It's the most processed thing I eat & I don't really like to eat processed food.
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I would eat the protein bar as a snack. Nuts are good too.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Whenever you usually get hangry, I'd guess. Once you've had a little protein/carbs at some point after your workout, I don't think the timing matters so much.

Make sure you're getting enough fat with all that protein. Sounds like an awful lot to me, but I don't know your macro needs! Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • Triplesget
    Triplesget Posts: 66
    Options
    Whenever you usually get hangry, I'd guess. Once you've had a little protein/carbs at some point after your workout, I don't think the timing matters so much.

Make sure you're getting enough fat with all that protein. Sounds like an awful lot to me, but I don't know your macro needs! Best of luck :flowerforyou:

After checking my macros a few times I'm lying between 180 - 200 grams of protein needed. It sounds like a lot to me, and I'd rather not, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
  • Triplesget
    Options
    I would eat the protein bar as a snack. Nuts are good too.

I was thinking that, but I'm leaning more towards counting the shake as my snack, and that much protein at once sounds crazy to me. Also, nuts would be so much better if they were cheaper. :)
  • Triplesget
    Options
    I eat them pretty much any time. Sometimes as part of my breakfast if I don't have an actual breakfast. Sometimes in the middle of the day if I'm hungry but not meal time. And sometimes after dinner... Quest bars (& the cookies & cream) are my favorite. But I don't eat more than 1 a day. It's the most processed thing I eat & I don't really like to eat processed food.

Same, I dread processed food, but hitting a number like 200 grams of proteins, which is approximately what I'm needing, is so difficult without a bar a day. It's sort of a saving grace, haha.
  • kazzsjourney2goal
    kazzsjourney2goal Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I eat mine as my afternoon snack.
  • zeussmith718
    zeussmith718 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have whey shakes in the morning to curb my appetite, and then 1 or 2 at night on days where I ate like crap. I like it because its only like 130 calories for 30 grams of protein
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Whenever. I eat them when I leave for work on the weekends, as I have to be in super early, and they keep me satisfied until I can sit down with an actual breakfast four hours later.