Running/jogging ..

Options
Anyone here run or jog with bad knees? I know that
the burn and belly blast most runners has is beneficial
but my knees can be a weakness. Would it be I'll advised
to try it? If you have issues and run, how do you adapt?

Replies

• NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I have minor issues when running level or on an incline. But going up steps kill my knees - walking or running. Doc told me to just keep doing what I do and it'll improve as the muscles around the knees get stronger.

I do walk/run drills. You use different muscles when you walk vs when you run so it gives each set a break to recover so you can go longer.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Running on the elliptical is good and I guess the treadmill is fine if the incline isn't to steep. Aqua jogging is good too.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I have a auto-immune disease that attacks and causes pain/swelling to my knees, hips, hands, wrists, and elbows. I'm nearing being closer to 50 than 40 in age so that with playing football well into my 30's doesn't help. My knees were in terrible shape before I started to run last year.

I cross trained my legs with heavy squats along with hill sprints repeats are friendly to knees being the only cardio proven to build muscle while eating at a surplus. I would also consider doing barbell step-ups if I had more time to train.

Good shoes and training at a slower speed will make a difference. I ran near 1200 miles last year with only taking a couple months off because of flare-ups from the disease.
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I run with fairly bum knees, but my doctor doesn't seem to think that's an issue. I have a very heavy step and sometimes that seems to affect how much my knees hurt, but I just run through it. Sometimes I wear a brace on the worst knee, but usually run without it. Just be careful.

(For what it's worth, my daughter has some serious knee issues and her physical therapist says the elliptical is okay, but she's to avoid the treadmill at all costs.)
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Be sure to run on the front of your foot, the first part to touch the ground with each step should be the pad of your foot right behind the big toe, this way your ankle acts as a shock absorber. Your knees and lower back will thank you! Your calves on the other hand will probably hate you for the first week :) When you land on your heel it sends a shock wave through your knees, hips, and lower back. Not good.
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I hear the "bad knees" thing quite a bit.
    I've had knee issues off and on since I began running a year ago. My experience and advice can be summed up as follows....
    (1) If it hurts, stop doing that, and get appropriate rest before trying again
    (2) nearly anything in your body can be made stronger with training/fuel/time
    (3) At the gym, the treadmill looks the most like running, but its probably worse, unless its very springy to absorb, in which case, it may weaken your ankles.
    (4) When recovering and you still want to "run", the best machine is the elliptical. Like a standing bike, it eliminates impact, but will feel weird until you get used to it.
    (5) For strengthening, there are all kinds of leg exercises. What shows up as a symptom of pain in the knee may be ultimately caused by a weakness elsewhere (hips). Methodically work it all as much as you can.
    (6) For cardio and some strength with no impact, swimming is best.
    (7) if you are just getting into running, do no more then 3-4 days a week for 6 months before beginning to add more days of running
    (8) from a fuel perspective, its very important that your body gets fat and protein. and water. lots and lots of water
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I've had reconstruction on both knees and ankles, and currently run about 40km per week.

Form is very important, as are appropriate shoes. I prefer trail running, but I'd also support the point above about resistance training being a great help in the stability realm.
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I have a auto-immune disease that attacks and causes pain/swelling to my knees, hips, hands, wrists, and elbows. I'm nearing being closer to 50 than 40 in age so that with playing football well into my 30's doesn't help. My knees were in terrible shape before I started to run last year.

I cross trained my legs with heavy squats along with hill sprints repeats are friendly to knees being the only cardio proven to build muscle while eating at a surplus. I would also consider doing barbell step-ups if I had more time to train.

Good shoes and training at a slower speed will make a difference. I ran near 1200 miles last year with only taking a couple months off because of flare-ups from the disease.

Thank you. I'll take that advice. Except I am not near hills but I might add steps/stairs.
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I've had reconstruction on both knees and ankles, and currently run about 40km per week.

Form is very important, as are appropriate shoes. I prefer trail running, but I'd also support the point above about resistance training being a great help in the stability realm.

I have a good pair of Nike. :)
    We have trails,I was planning to try the nearby one.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options

We have trails,I was planning to try the nearby one.

But were those Nikes fitted by a local running store?
  • nxiety
    nxiety Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Squats and finding a good pair of running shoes got rid of -all- my knee pain.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Brand isn't as important as structure, personally I've not found a pair of Nike that I could run in.

There are four main types of shoe, broadly; motion control neutral, cushioned, minimalist.

Motion control are appropriate for runners who overpronate, that is the foot rolls inwards on landing. The shoe helps mitigate that, and tends to have less cushioning. This is the majority of runners.

Neutral shoes are much as described, they let the foot operate naturally.

Cushioned are generally for underpronators, the foot doesn't roll as much as it should do. This starts to propagate problems up the skeleton, hence cushioning reduces the shock loading.

Minimalist shoes have little to no controlling or cushioning structure, so tend to force a forefoot landing.

In principle getting the correct shoe either involves getting fitted at a decent running shop, or lots of trial, error and pain.

Within that set some runners find some brands just don't work for them. Personally I've had success with Saucony.

Trail shoes don't tend to have that same range, they frequently have a lower drop from heel to toe. The main reason is that the surface in trails tends to be pretty dynamic, ad in many ways that's good for leg injuries as it encourages the development of the fine controlling muscles around the joints.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I started running long distance after my doc predicted that I need double knee replacement by the age of 35. I am 42 next month and have still the "original". As others mentioned, the right shoes and proper training will go a long way. Also, don't increase speed and distance at the same time. Chin splints are also a sign for too fast increased training, besides some other reasons. Start slowly or use a training program like C5K which gives you some guidance and go as you feel - slow down if you experience pain and keep going if you just feel fine with the training plan.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options

Brand isn't as important as structure, personally I've not found a pair of Nike that I could run in.

There are four main types of shoe, broadly; motion control neutral, cushioned, minimalist.

Motion control are appropriate for runners who overpronate, that is the foot rolls inwards on landing. The shoe helps mitigate that, and tends to have less cushioning. This is the majority of runners.

Neutral shoes are much as described, they let the foot operate naturally.

Cushioned are generally for underpronators, the foot doesn't roll as much as it should do. This starts to propagate problems up the skeleton, hence cushioning reduces the shock loading.

Minimalist shoes have little to no controlling or cushioning structure, so tend to force a forefoot landing.

In principle getting the correct shoe either involves getting fitted at a decent running shop, or lots of trial, error and pain.

Within that set some runners find some brands just don't work for them. Personally I've had success with Saucony.

Trail shoes don't tend to have that same range, they frequently have a lower drop from heel to toe. The main reason is that the surface in trails tends to be pretty dynamic, ad in many ways that's good for leg injuries as it encourages the development of the fine controlling muscles around the joints.

Listen to ALL of this!!! Wise words here!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Bad knees, no running choose another aerobic activity like a spinning class that keeps impact low and off your knees.

Now if you've just started running, everything is going to hurt. That is temporary pain that will subside. If that's the case go to a running store where there are knowledgable sales people who can direct you to the proper running shoe to buy.
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Just bought a pair of Brooks Ravenna 5's, great shoe. I also run 5k 6 times a week with a knee and ankle that has suffered from multiple gout attacks. My knee is always swollen but no real pain. Xrays on 2 different occasions showed no damage so I just ice my knee or take anti inflammatories.