The more I eat, the hungrier I get.

Options
2»

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Is this normal? I know that breakfast starts your metabolism, but I'm not so sure I want it started if it means eating hundreds and hundreds more calories every day!
    Breakfast does not "start" your metabolism as it never stops. Well, when you die it does. Just eat all your daily calories when it's convenient for you.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    1) The more you eat, the more hungry you will feel, due to the production of leptin in your body.

2) Studies show no difference in metabolic function between people who eat meals one time or six times per day, as long as they are eating the same number of calories. Eat when it is convenient for you.
  • JAVAGIRLSS
    JAVAGIRLSS Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    :huh: Let me guess, you're a 1200-calorie girl, huh?

Please read, look for the part about hunger, and DON'T skip the link at the bottom:

Here's one of my old posts from a similar topic:

OK. I'm gonna give this a shot. I am an avid lifelong athlete. I have never been overweight, however, I used to eat too few calories (without knowing it), and a couple years ago, I actually GAINED weight bc of having slowed my metabolism to the point that every little extra treat I ate caused a weight gain, even though overall my calories were too low. THIS DOES HAPPEN.

It is also the reason so many fat people stay fat. They restrict their calories so low, slow their metabolisms, binge (even a little), gain weight, restrict more . . . . and so on and so on. But they are still fat.

It is also the reason most people can't lose that last 10-20 lbs. For real.

1. MFP has a deficit built in. Let's say you're trying to lose 1 lb/ week. That is a 500/day deficit from your BMR (the amount of calories your body needs to complete basic functions.

2. You exercise and burn 500 calories. Now you are at a 1000 deficit. If you eat back those 500 exercise calories, you refuel your body and you still have a 500 deficit for that 1 lb loss. If you DON'T eat back those calories, you have too little fuel. This is bad. This is too much of a deficit for basic functions. If you do this for a long time, you will STOP LOSING WEIGHT. Why? bc your metabolism will slow down -- it's like a brownout--not quite enough electricity to make the whole city (your body) run, so it has to slow down some things. You will probably start being tired a lot, your skin and hair might start to look worse, and you might even gain weight. But you might NOT be hungry -- your body is getting used to fewer calories. That's bad.

That's when you start to gain weight. Let's say you're running along, eating 1200 calories a day, and exercising 400 calories a day, so net is 800. You're losing, you think this is great. You keep doing it, but after a while you stop losing. hmmmmm. One weekend you go out to a special event and have a slice of pizza and a beer. 1 slice of pizza and 1 beer. So you ate maybe 2000 calories that day and exercised off 400, so net 1600. BOOM! You gain 3 lbs! What?!

Next, you freak out and restrict yourself down to 1000 calories a day and work out extra hard, burning 500 calories. Great, netting 500 now. You don't lose any weight, but you sure feel tired. Better get some red bull.

Are you getting the picture?

EDIT: When you work out, you need fuel. Food is fuel. If you don't eat back those exercise calories, you will not only have a big calorie deficit, you will have an ENERGY deficit. Remember, the calorie deficit for weight loss is built in when you use MFP. Exercising basically earns you more calories because you must refuel.
    --

There are many people who will tell you not to eat exercise calories. Before you take their advice, you might want to see whether they are at goal, have EVER been at goal, or have ever been able to maintain at goal. If anyone says to you 'THE LAST TIME I LOST WEIGHT", just stop listening right there.

Ask some athletes whether or not they replenish their bodies with food equal to the calories they burn. Ask people who are fit and have achieved and maintained a healthy weight for some years. Don't ask people who count walking across a parking lot as exercise.

Here's an interesting case study about how to stay fat while consuming only 700 calories a day. Take a moment, you'll be glad you did:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

blessings.

This is my experience, and I'm a firm believer in keeping calories up (after a very long and horrendous experience of following the "under 1000" rule. I really would keep this in mind, and Lord knows, I know how hard and "wrong" it feels to up calories.

The only thing I would add, and I may be wrong so please do correct me anyone, is that I found under a certain level of calories I didn't experience hunger or low blood sugar. As I worked on upping them, I went through a horrible phase of feeling run down and hungry and grumpy. But the phase passed :)
    THAT (the hungry, run down, and grumpy phase) is where I'm at, and it's SO tempting to slip back into eating way under caloric goal. How long does this last??
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Is this normal? I know that breakfast starts your metabolism, but I'm not so sure I want it started if it means eating hundreds and hundreds more calories every day!
    Breakfast does not "start" your metabolism as it never stops. Well, when you die it does. Just eat all your daily calories when it's convenient for you.

^This! Meal timing makes no difference at all. If you find you do better without breakfast, don't eat breakfast!
  • Mackinnonspice
    Options
    I'm also at the hungry all the time part, and I gym so I can eat more...sad but true :) But I'm still adjusting my meals trying to see what works best for me. So far eating eggs in the morning works the best, I'm not as hungry and can last till lunch time. Now I just have to find the perfect balance for lunch. Dinner I got down pat. So in my case, is try and eat different types of food and see how your body adjusts.

PS. I've only been doing this for a week. So I'm not sure if I'm helping....
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Such a range of responses.

I'm not on 1,200 calories - I'm currently on 1,570, eating to maintain at 52kgs, eating back my exercise calories, etc. The only thing I was doing 'wrong' was not eating breakfast, but I guess what I'm asking is how I'm supposed to find 300 extra calories to eat breakfast in the morning if I'm also eating more than I was already for the rest of the day.

Just ignore the people telling you that you have to eat breakfast, you don't. If what you were doing was working, then do that!