I Am So Freaking Dizzy!

Replies

• shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    What does a stress test show the doctors about my health?

a stress test or echo stress test, is a test that uses ultrasound imaging to show how well your heart muscles are working to pump blood to your body. It is mainly used to detect a decrease in blood flow to the heart --
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    If I were you, I'd up the cals.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    My guess would be that you're over-exercising and underfeeding your body. You don't have to exercise multiple hours per day...in fact, the only time I do that is when I'm actually training for something...and when I do, you better believe I'm eating big too.

You need to understand that exercise is not required for losing weight...exercise should be done for fitness...which means you should have fitness oriented goals that will help you train/exercise appropriately to achieve those goals...this would also include proper resting periods and a reasonable training schedule.

MFP is set up with your deficit included...that's why you're supposed to log and eat back exercise calories...that would be a good place to start...using the tool appropriately is always a pretty good idea. That said, at this point I would cease exercise and go see a doctor...then I'd get the whole calorie thing sorted out and then figure out a sustainable level of effort in RE to exercise and then I'd spend a bit of time researching on how to properly fuel my body for that effort.

^^^Excellent Advice!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    What does a stress test show the doctors about my health?

a stress test or echo stress test, is a test that uses ultrasound imaging to show how well your heart muscles are working to pump blood to your body. It is mainly used to detect a decrease in blood flow to the heart --

Yeah - this is what I meant. Not a mental-health type of stress test!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Go to a doctor. It could be nothing, It could be something with the heart muscle (a stress test, as previously mentioned will look at that), it could be low blood pressure, or any number of benign or less than benign things.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Please go to the doctor. What you describe is not normal.

You exercise two hours a day at a 1230 calorie goal? Do you eat any of those exercise calories back? I can't tell because you diary is empty.

My guess is your body is screaming at you to stop overexercising and to provide better fuel.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Low blood sugar causes that in me, as others have said. Exercise actually makes it worse for some people. Try (after seeing your doctor in case it is something else) putting gatorade or something with a little carbs in your water bottle and drinking that instead of zero calorie or water. It can keep your blood sugar from tanking while you work out.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Actually for a few months now I've been eating a lot more than I should but I haven't gained any weight, which is odd. I've been very hungry lately.
    If you're not gaining and your hungry, and dizzy on top of that, I think we can rule out that you're eating more than you should.

As others have said, I'd start by tracking your food so you can get a solid idea of how much you are actually eating, then make sure it's adequate intake (agree with the others that 1230 is too low for the amount of exercise you're logging!), and if the dizziness persists, definitely see a doctor.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    I don't know your stats so I'm only ballparking here but for a woman who isn't that overweight working out 2-3 hours a day your maintenance calories could easily be 3000+. Even 2000 calories could be not enough at that level.
  • mstripes
    mstripes Posts: 151 Member
    I'll echo the advice to go see a Dr. You seem to be picking and choosing the advice to quote and listen to. See a DR. I've benign positional vertigo so I know what it is like to get dizzy spells or light-headedness. Seriously it is worth getting checked out.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    OP you've been hungry lately because you are exercising two to there hours a day, your body is screaming out for sustenance.
  • kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    you should definitely be talking to a doctor about this, not asking people on the internet
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    OP, do your workouts include strength training? And if so, do you log a burn for that or do you ignore it? When I started doing the compound lifts, I didn't count a burn for strength training... I lost weight I didn't mean to, I made very little progress on my lifts, and I woke up with headaches after every session. Boosting my intake resolved pretty much all of that. If this applies to you, I'd suggest either logging strength training as a cardio burn or switching to the TDEE method.

As to heart rate, assuming you're not dangerously underweight, I'd suggest drinking more water before and during the workout so your heart doesn't have to work as hard to move your blood around.

These suggestions are from my personal experience -- YMMV, of course, and seeing a doctor is better than getting advice from random strangers on the Internet. :flowerforyou:
  • My husband is a cardiologist- you definitely need to go get a Stress Test, EKG and maybe an echo-cardiogram. Most likely because you are only 20, everything will check out fine. But, you do need to see a doctor.

Also, are you taking any other kind of diet supplements? Are you on any medication? Thyroid meds? Are you eating and drinking enough? These all need to be addressed with a good doctor.

Having a rapid heart rate and dizziness could be a lot of things. But, most likely, at such a young age- it will not be complicated. However, nobody here can diagnose you- only a doctor can give you a thorough exam, and that's what you need. Let us know how you do after seeing a doctor.:smile:
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    UPDATE:

No, I haven't gone to see a doctor.

But I tried some experiments at the gym and so far I think I might be able to control the dizzy spells. I've been making sure to eat immediately before the workouts and immediately after. When I start to get dizzy I refuse to think about my dizziness and slow down and it goes away. Been drinking enough. Taking it real slow even though I wish I could go back to my crazy epic workouts.

Thanks for all the advice. :flowerforyou:
  • vbernier1
    vbernier1 Posts: 19 Member
    Do you drink a lot of water before you workout? While working out? Do you eat before you work out? Do you eat a certain amount of calories per day, maybe you are starving yourself?

If you do all the above (minus the starvation mode) you may want to see a doctor,

But without knowing your habits, its hard to know why this is happening

Actually for a few months now I've been eating a lot more than I should but I haven't gained any weight, which is odd. I've been very hungry lately. I never work out without eating and I always drink water before, during and after I work out.

if you're eating well, drinking enough water, everything else seems okay... any chance your pregnant? if you're so much hungrier than normal?
    see a doc.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    lol no, not pregnant. not unless the second coming of Jesus is happening soon.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    It's good that you're feeling better.
    You still need to go to the Doctor though.
    I agree.

OP, you should not be getting dizzy at all. What you are experiencing is not normal.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    It's good that you're feeling better.
    You still need to go to the Doctor though.
    I agree.

OP, you should not be getting dizzy at all. What you are experiencing is not normal.

And the dizziness didn't even go away, it just reduced

OP do you not have easy access to a doctor?