I want to eat brown rice plain

Options
1235»

Replies

• sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    One of the first recipes I learned as a kid

Take rice (works with brown too) and toast it in the pan first to get a bit of color on it (tough to see with brown rice but it will usually become opaque and you know you are getting close). It will start to smell nutty. Then take broth (either chicken or veggie) and a teaspoon of curry powder (or more if you like it - I would say 1 for every cup of rice is what I remember but I like a bit more) and cook the rice like you would normally (so 45 minutes for brown rice, 2 cups broth for every cup rice). When it is done you can add slivered almonds (I think the recipe said almonds or raisins but I can't recall off the top of my head - I never add either to be honest). It is from a microwave recipe book I had back in the late 70s and I wanted to help making dinner with my mom (I was like 8 or so at the time). It is easy to adapt to regular stovetop cooking just cook it based on the package. I haven't made it in a long time but it is super tasty (boyfriend is a high protein no carb guy - well, not no carb but only veggies) so we don't do a lot of rice anymore.
  • brandnewneek
    brandnewneek Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I make very simple red beans and rice, basically you make the rice then add in a can of red kidney beans, and a can of stewed tomatoes. Then whatever seasoning, but I really like creole. I put it on everything, and it makes the rice taste a lot better.
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am so confused -- are you looking for stuff to add to your brown rice to make it taste different than it does? Because if you want to enjoy eating it plain, but don't currently enjoy eating it plain, then this sounds like some sort of philosophical quest rather than a recipe request.

I like steamed brown rice as a side. I usually have it with meat, vegetables, or both -- not to cover the taste, but just because I don't think a plate of rice constitutes a well-balanced meal.
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I like good ol plain white, steamed rice myself.....
    Yep. The difference in nutrition between white rice and brown rice is miniscule.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

yes apparently so, DLB has white rice all the time and she looks great!
  • mjedy16
    mjedy16 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Need to be able to find these recipes later! YUM
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me!
  • cyncm
    cyncm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I didn't read every post so sorry if I am repeating anything...

Why do you want to like plain brown rice? I do eat brown rather than white for the fibre, which is supposed to be good at helping with weight loss.

but still, 1/3 c brown rice is my serving size for dinner. Not much. If you really don't like the taste why not eat something you like better that is a lower glycemic carb so you can eat more of it? Like steamed cauliflower, or spaghetti squash... or maybe new potatoes, I haven't compared them directly to brown rice but I think 3 small new potatoes is more food than 1/3 c brown rice.
  • Michaelg235
    Michaelg235 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    are you allowed to have salsa or little tabasco hot sauce?