Shin splints. Please help!

Options
13»

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I think a trip to the doctor makes sense as well as it seems you have a lingering injury
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    RunningCampbell,

I am not rude and I am most certainly not dismissing peoples advice!! I never said that I wont see a physio but my point is say if I do have insoles made whos to say that they will cure the ankle pain! I could pay £200 for the insoles but that doesnt mean to say the pain is going to go away and I may not get on with the insoles, you have to be realistic! You seem to keep asking questions when I have already answered it!

Sweatshop are a good store and they know what they are dealing with and I dont think they wish to sell me the wrong shoes!! I have had quite a few people tell me that I over pronate and I know my foot rolls in but yet you dont believe me. Well I dont know what the answer is then. No of course I didnt go from 5k to 10k just like that. You have to work up the distance, you cant just go from 5 to 10k. I did the half marathon 6 weeks ago and when I was training for it I got a new pair of trainers and thats when I started to get the ankle pain but I didnt seem to get shin splints.

I am sorry if my post was confusing. I meant I hope you don't think I am rude. I wasn't implying you were rude. Sorry for the confusion. I also didn't mean to imply that I don't believe that you overpronate. I was simply trying to suggest that with all these issues maybe a professional is the best person to see to get a more definite answer and that yes it may cost a bit more but if it solves the problem then it would be worth it. A doctor or physical therapist in my opinion can look at the whole picture.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Before and after running, sit down and air-write your name and the alphabet with each foot. It is a good way of loosening up the shin muscles. But once you have shin splints, they seem to take a while to get rid of, so even if it seems like you're fine, I'd still recommend doing this kind of stretch. I asked a physical education teacher how to help shin splints and this is what he recommended. You can keep doing your other leg stretches too.
  • shawna48
    shawna48 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Shin splints for me, and I get them easily, happen for a couple different reasons. 1) I ran with shoes other than my designated running shoes. I should tote both my lifting and running shoes with me every time to the gym but sometimes i feel it's a hassle and do my warm up HIIT running in my lifting shoes...then pay for it later. 2) I run when my calves are sore - I notice this leads to shin splints at a record pace. Therefore, I do some other cardio after leg day calf exercises or excessive jumping exercises. 3) on occasion, running on uneven surfaces, like a trail run will cause calf soreness and then immediately following shin splints.

Since you're running in new shoes, it is possible that they are the cause. If not, figure out what your triggers are and approach your running plan cautiously.
  • sprtsmedx
    sprtsmedx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the MFP community and after reading through this discussion I would like to offer my suggestions. I am a Certified Athletic Trainer (not the gym guy, we are highly trained in the prevention and treatment of injuries) I have an extensive background in biomechanics, functional anatomy and physical therapy and ergonomics. This situation is very similar to many situation I encounter in my consulting practice. Everyone wants to fix their aches and pains with the latest product on the market. The dog chasing it's tail syndrome. Shin splints are due to excessive/overuse of the 3 skinny long muscles of the posterior calf, Flexor Digitorum, Flexor Hallucis Longus and Tibialus Posterior. These three muscle are being over used. Most of us agree on this. The problem isn't with the shoes or the surface, although these all contribute, the problem is in your GAIT and the fact that you have mentioned you are an "OVER PRONATOR" suggests a biomechanical problem with your gait which no shoe or surface will fix. The problem lies in what we call "ENERGY LEAKS" or faulty mechanics of the ankle, knee and hip not to mention the entire kinetic chain. You need to address the "OVER PRONATION" from a STRENGTH perspective. The best way to explain this is stand infront of a mirror with a pair of shorts on so you can see your knees. Standing comfortably notice that your feet may point outward, your arches may be flattened and then look at your knee cap (patella), it is probably pointing inward or not in alignment with your feet. Now tighten your gluteal muscles or imagine turning your knees outward without moving your feet. You will notice the arch of your foot lifts and the "OVER PRONATION" seems to be fixed. The problem isn't in your feet, the shin splints and fallen arches etc are only the signs and symptoms of faulty mechanics that NEEDS to be addressed. The strong postural muscles, Psoas and Illiacus... your HIP FLEXORS, are external rotators of the femur as well as your gluteal muscles, and in combination they provide the real stability of the entire leg, and help minimize overuse of the smaller muscles below. Warm up, stretch, get new shoes... all that is great, however your pelvic postural muscles are weak and providing an "ENERGY LEAK" thoughout your gait mechanics. You need to STRENGTHEN not stretch muscles. STRONG muscules provide the support and maintain the proper gait pattern to minimize this breakdown and overuse of weaker smaller muscles. Someone suggested seeing a physical therapist or exercise physiologist and I agree. However if the regiment is designed behind stretching tight muscles not strengthening the weak ones find another person. Hope this has been somewhat insightful and helpful, again it's my professional recommendation based on emperical research and experience of working with 1000 of clients, it's up to you if you want to continue looking for the "PRODUCT" to fix your problem or go after the true cause.
    Thanks everyone!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So to summarise...

Deal with the underlying problem
    Do some resistance training to deal with muscular imbalance
    Stretch

No need for the correct shoes apparently... I might just recommend sticking with conventional wisdom on that one given that it's worked for a great many people.