Amenorrhea - help!!

Options
My story... I Was training for a half marathon (between the age of 15-23 I was always around 54kg) eating and body image never crossed my mind. I was a witness to a car accident when I was training and completed first aid on the lady who was hit by the car. She died in my arms and I was forced to run 16km home covered in blood. I was traumatised and never stopped running after that day. Within 6 weeks I was down from 54kg to 44kg. It was the I realised I had a problem. I almost ran myself to death and stopped eating.
At my lowest I was 43kg and was hospitalised by choice. I was in hospital for 4 weeks and put on 5kg. I was released at 48kg and was able to put on another 15kg with the help of my amazing husband to get back at 54-55kg. I held the weight, didn't exercise (and I am a physical education teacher so only exercised when I was teaching) I got back into short bike rides and it took 3 years for me to run again - I still have nightmares to this day about the accident.
The last 9 moths I have been on a slow but steady down hill, loosing weight because I am struggling to eat during the day. All of the bad habits and thoughts slowly return. I'm scared now because I went off the pill in December 2013 ( my last period was 20th oct) and now - 21st June, 7 months later I haven't had a period! When I was at my lowest weight and losing weight before I was on the pill so was still having my period. Now nothing! I am trying to put on weight, having protein shakes and eating more at night when I can eat. I know I need to force myself to be strong and eat during the day and I really want to have kids in the next year or two. I'm so scared with what's going on wig my body. I'm not exercising any extra apart from work.

Has anyone else come off the pill only to realise they aren't getting their period and what weight were you when it returned?

Replies

• TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am sorry to read of your trauma. A few years ago I came off Yasmin at a perfectly healthy weight and didn't have a natural period for 18 months. It did come back. I was just advised to take a B vitamin supplement and it was because I had been on the pill for 8 years I was 24 at the time. If you are worried you can get a blood test done to check your hormone levels. Mine were normal despite the absence of my cycle x
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about what you went though. If you are starting to find yourself having problems like you were before it might be wise to look into counselling. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health and it sounds like one is affecting the other. Good luck.
  • milkgainer
    Options
    The pill basically tricks your body into thinking it's pregnant (the period you have while on it isn't a true period), and everyone has a different reaction to the shift in hormones. You should probably see a doctor if you're concerned. Good luck!
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Seeing that you described all those events I think you already know why you're not getting your period.
    You need to put on weight and see someone about your feelings. Both low weight and stress can cause amenorrhea.
    :flowerforyou:
  • MAG58rcg86
    MAG58rcg86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Most women athletes with less than 20% body fat will have amenorrhea. So your goals may need to be the increase in your weight and a change in your body composition. At that proportion, your body should resume its natural rythyms. But more importantly, you should probably seek the guidance of you OB/GYN doctor. Your OB may need to check your hormones levels to see how your body is adjusting to NOT being on birth control. Perhaps they will also have you see a dietician for nutritional assistance. Finally, you may want to consider talking with a counselor re:your traumatic experience. Our minds do directly affect our physical health- and asking for help from qualified professionals in various fields can only enhance your health. Hope this helps._
  • wantwhatiusedtobe
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    Thelittlefang - 18 months without a natural period! Wow I would have been so worried!!
    I am seeing an ob/gyn at the moment. I've had ultra sounds and blood tests. My hormone levels are all normal but I have an ovarian disease where the follicles are not maturing. I have 32 in my right and 20 in my left. The gyno advised to have a dosage of the hormone that makes you ovulate and then have an ultra sound to see if my follicules can in fact mature to release an egg (and get my period!).
    I am definitely trying to gain weight with my goal at the moment to get back to 48kg. I can get to 48-49 pretty easy but I have to really increase my intake and make conscious effort to be active to get over 50 - which is hard for me being a p.e teacher!

I know it can sound crazy reading about people wanting to do something like gain or lose weight, knowing they are not really doing the right thing and asking for help. I guess it's just nice to read about other people in the same situation or that have succeeded. Thanks again!
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Once when I went off the pill, I didn't have my period for several months. I was about 51-52kg, and it returned totally unrelated to weight. Sometimes it's a hormonal thing, and your body needs to adjust its hormonal levels again after getting all those artificial hormones. Of course, not getting your period can cause a lot of stress, on top of what you're experiencing right now, which also can cause this.
  • wantwhatiusedtobe
    Options
    Thanks brevislux. I hope it is just that my body is adjusting. I keep waiting for the usual pains and aches to begin to give me a sign but nothing.
  • pgphd1
    pgphd1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have gone through similar issues. My ob/gyn was concerned that I was not shedding the endometrial lining (which is what a period is) so I first has a D & C. To diagnose this I've had vaginal ultrasounds to measure the lining and a biopsy to make sure it didn't turn into cancer. See your doctor.
  • bumpkinz
    bumpkinz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you had to go through something so traumatic. I could see myself becoming a nervous wreck after something like that.

I just wanted to say I also suffered from amenorrhea but just recently have been doing better. I think stress has just as much to do with the issue as the diet. I too am a teacher, and I took my summer vacation work free so I could get my body back to health. I incorporated A LOT more fat-coconut oil, nuts, etc. It was gross but if I didn't meet my calorie goal for the day I would take a spoon of coconut oil to make sure. during the day if it is hard to eat, nuts are super calorie dense even just forcing down a handful might help. I also tried to exercise a little less (3k-3x a week and a little yoga and walking here and there). I also took maca and multivitamins (chewable kind otherwise I get sick) as well as my normal b12 and biotin.

Needless to say, it was a stressful 5 months with doctor visits and 8lbs weight gain but now I am excited because I want to start for a baby next year.

Things will get better just relax relax relax!
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    When I was 19-21 I was very much in love with a man who turned abusive. I'd leave him and then return because he'd do the usual 'abuser stuff--cry, apologize, say I shouldn't do _____because it makes him do __________.
    I left him for the last time when I was 21. Just to be sure I didn't go back I did a geographical, went to Alaska.
    I didn't have a period for almost a year. Deep inside I knew it was because I was traumatized, confused and through with love and men. After 10 months I began to worry what my subconscious was doing to my body and began to wish for my period to come back. I got it back within weeks.
    There is a strong mind-body connection.
    Everyone reacts to things differently. For instance, I would have had a hard time finishing a half-marathon if a woman died in my arms.
    If you have a daughter, she'll learn what you live. I'm glad you're on MFP.
  • ActiveYouth
    Options
    Wow, you have been through a lot... I am not one for psychiatrists because they just tend to cover up things with a pill with horrendous side effects like skin rashes, heart palpitations, excessive weight gain due to carbohydrate cravings and even sudden collapse or worse , death.

Yoga or Pilates is meditation all exercise which puts you in touch with your soul...Also talking with a very understanding friend who will just listen to you, helps a lot.

As for the period loss, wheatgrass juice or kefir is very good and could encourage healthy periods once again.

When I was 13, our our family moved to Nigeria and my period stopped for 2 years maybe cos if food change and environment.

It returned all by itself. Without the use if drugs or going to my GP. My period disappeared for 2 months this year, so I drank 4iz of wheatgrass juice daily and 1 cup of milk kefir for 2 weeks and it returned.

Don't have period pains as I use to take a lot if evening primrose oil capsules for period pain - now even when I don't take evening primrose oil for months on end, I still have painless periods.

Milk kefir makes you feel calm so could help with you trauma. If you don't like it neat, add some berries of your liking...

Hope this helps and that you fully recover...

Lots if love
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a CBT or EMDR therapist as it sounds like you have PTSD and both those types of therapy work well with Post Traumatic Stress. I think it will help you in so many ways. I wish you the best.
  • micfit9
    micfit9 Posts: 18
    Options
    It sounds like you are suffering from PTSD; and it has triggered disordered eating as a result of the depression. I think to fix your eating, you should focusing on addressing the mental issue of PTSD.

symptoms of PTSD include:
    -intrusive recollection of painful memory
    -nightmares
    -social withdrawal
    -avoidance of things that remind you of the memory
    -jumpy
    -sleep problems
    -depression; loss of appetite

Basic behavioral treatment
    -seeing yourself as a survivor
    -focusing on your strengths
    -finding connection with others
    -practicing optimism (maybe start a gratitude journal)
    -seeing the trauma as a challenge that can be overcome

I know your not eating disorderly by choice; but this community might help you also : youreatopia.com

Here's a blog post to help encourage you as to why you need to be strong right now

http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2014/7/29/whether-you-ever-want-kids-or-not-or-already-have-them-repro.html