Skipping breakfast

Options
I know that eating breakfast is important, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, skipping it is bad and so on, but I skipped breakfast every day this week and it made me want to eat less in the afternoon, plus it's great seeing that I'm consuming less calories without feeling hungry.

What about you? Is breakfast an absolute must for you or do you sometimes skip it?

Replies

• angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Most days I eat breakfast, tho' sometimes it's something light like fruit or yogurt. I only skip it if I had a heavy meal the night before and still feel full.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I know that eating breakfast is important, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, skipping it is bad and so on, but I skipped breakfast every day this week and it made me want to eat less in the afternoon, plus it's great seeing that I'm consuming less calories without feeling hungry.

What about you? Is breakfast an absolute must for you or do you sometimes skip it?
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day is a myth. It's just a meal like any other. Many people don't have breakfast and lose weight and are very healthy. Meal timing makes absolutely no difference. Personally I like a breakfast but that's a personal choice and works well for me. Just to add though if your consuming less calories because of this make sure you are still eating enough. If you have a meal called breakfast or not you still need to consume a certain amount of calories a day
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    You are going to get 2 very different opinions on this subject i'm sure.

I eat breakfast on days that I work, because I know I won't get a chance to eat til break time many hours after I've awaken.

However, on the weekends, I do not always eat when I get up. If I am super hungry I do, If I am not, I will put it off as long as I can. I mainly do this because once I start eating when I am at home, I want to keep eating. I need to keep busier on the weekends so I do not have food on the brain all day.

OP, As long as you are staying within your own personal goals, do what works for you. Time of day you eat has no effect on losing weight. It is simply calories in vs. calories out. Eat at a deficit and you will lose. Good luck.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    i dont personally eat breakfast, when i do it just makes me want too eat more through the whole day, but it makes me feel sick when i do so i avoid it, just keep hydrated :)
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    I dont and have no problem, if not hungry I dont eat and also I go to the gym in the morning and prefer to eat after.
  • ADMcNaul
    ADMcNaul Posts: 55
    Options
    I was forced to eat breakfast every morning for 6 months, and in all honesty I didn't feel a difference between having it and not having it. That was while I was extremely active everyday.

I'm the same as you, in that it makes me feel sick. I very rarely have breakfast now.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant to losing weight. I only eat breakfast on Sundays. It is only necessary to eat at a calorie deficit that is healthy for you. When you do it during the day, is a personal decision.
  • GameOfPounds
    GameOfPounds Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    When I am hungry I eat breakfast but when I am not,I don't. I used to "force" (not really force but you know...) myself to eat breakfast but I can't care less anymore :P
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If I don't have a substantial breakfast each morning, I will hurt people. I wake up hungry. But that's me.
  • InFitRealm
    InFitRealm Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I guess that the state that eating breakfast is very important evolved, amongst others, from the fact that you need to absorb some fuel at the beginning of the day to go to work and perform your further activities. But the processes in human body are not that simple. The lifestyle of individuals also differs a lot now and this general rule may not concern everybody.

I eat breakfast because I found that I snack less between the meals then. Also due to this I eat my supper earlier and my metabolism in the evening works considerably slowlier. So in my case it's simply a better choice.

However, at weekends I may eat my breakfast a bit later if I exercise in the morning. It's good to exercise with empty stomach from time to time in case you want to lose weight. The body absorbs the energy using fat at a considerably higher rate than using carbs.
  • Novus175
    Novus175 Posts: 80
    Options
    If I skip breakfast, it's a disaster. I'm chasing the hungries all day long, I make poor food choices, and I just in general feel crappy. So, for me, breakfast is absolutely essential. My theory is that by morning I have been fasting for 12+ hours so I need fuel to function and get through my day. I do not understand people who eat large meals late in the evening. Why do you need fuel to sleep?

Every body is different. You just have to find what works for you.
  • Steph8386
    Steph8386 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have always heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and it helps your metabolism if you are eating frequently. But I have recently found I am not as hungry throughout the day if I haven't eaten breakfast. Not really sure why.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    IMO it doesn't matter.

Plus 'breakfast' doesn't mean anything anyway... I mean, some people eat until 10pm. If they skip breakfast, and eat at noon, that's 14 hours without food... My last meal is at 6pm, and I eat at 8am, it's 14 hours as well. I think it's ridiculous to say things like 'breakfast is important' without taking into account your eating schedule as a whole.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    If my tummy wouldn't grumble I'm not sure I would eat breakfast. Sometimes by lunch time I am so ready for more food, so I don't believe skipping brekky would be appropriate for me at this time
  • pozili
    pozili Posts: 10
    Options
    You are going to get 2 very different opinions on this subject i'm sure.

I eat breakfast on days that I work, because I know I won't get a chance to eat til break time many hours after I've awaken.

However, on the weekends, I do not always eat when I get up. If I am super hungry I do, If I am not, I will put it off as long as I can. I mainly do this because once I start eating when I am at home, I want to keep eating. I need to keep busier on the weekends so I do not have food on the brain all day.

OP, As long as you are staying within your own personal goals, do what works for you. Time of day you eat has no effect on losing weight. It is simply calories in vs. calories out. Eat at a deficit and you will lose. Good luck.

I am exactly the same, I always want to keep eating once I start when I am at home haha
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    If I skip breakfast, it's a disaster. I'm chasing the hungries all day long, I make poor food choices, and I just in general feel crappy. So, for me, breakfast is absolutely essential. My theory is that by morning I have been fasting for 12+ hours so I need fuel to function and get through my day. I do not understand people who eat large meals late in the evening. Why do you need fuel to sleep?

Every body is different. You just have to find what works for you.

I don't know that I eat to fuel any specific activity. I do a 3 hour workout on Saturday mornings and it's all I can do to haul myself and my gym bag in the car on time. Breakfast is the last thing on my mind. As someone who likes large quantities of food and calories, not getting enough food is just not a real problem. I eat to satisfy cravings, for deliciousness, for overall health, and for weight loss
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    You can time your meals however you want to! I sometimes skip breakfast and lunch, and only eat in the late afternoon and evening. I like the break it gives my digestive system.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    If I don't have a substantial breakfast each morning, I will hurt people. I wake up hungry. But that's me.

Me too! But my daughter rarely eats breakfast because like some people have said it either makes her hungrier or feeling sick, whatever works for you
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast or not is purely personal preference - and, technically, you break your fast when you eat for the first time that day - even if that's at 2p.m. :wink: