What Makes a Good Protein Powder?

Options
So lately, I've been hearing a lot of stuff on how some protein powders are "bad".

I'm curious, what makes a good protein powder? And what makes a bad protein powder?

This is the one I've been using for a while now:

http://www.muscletech.ca/products/nitrotech/

Is it good? Lol.

Replies

• darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    BUMP
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Good or bad depends on your goals really.. I pick them based on that and there is a couple of factors I look at as well.

* Price (I don't concern myself with brands, it really doesn't matter)
    * Protein (typically ranges from 25g-30g per scoop)
    * Calories. Depends if i'm bulking or cutting, it can range from 100 cals to 500.
    * Sodium (some can have a ridiculous amount)

I don't see anything "wrong" with the one you provided. It doesn't show the amount of calories, but since you're trying to add size, then the more the better. I'd be looking into a mass gainer to be honest.

It does state it has 5g of creatine in it. If you're taking 2 or more shakes a day, you wouldn't need that much creatine. I buy my creatine separately. For monohydrate its about 10-15$. So depending on how much more you pay for that type of protein, it's something to look into.
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    What's the difference between a mass gainer and whey protein? What even is mass gainer? And what brand would you suggest for me?

One scoop of this nitrotech stuff has 130 cals and 30 grams of sodium. Also a tub of this stuff runs you about 70$
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Things to look out for

- unreasonably high sugar content (can be disguised as 'maltodrexin/dextrose etc') - you see some powders with 4-5+ grams of sugar per scoop this is the company using a sugar as a cheap filler to increase profit margin and give you less actual protein
    - single amino acids listed near the top of the ingredient list...again some companies are using 2-3 amino acids as a method of giving you less protein

I also don't buy the protein+creatine blended products......creatine is dirt cheap you are paying over the odds for convenience of having the 2 together.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    What's the difference between a mass gainer and whey protein? What even is mass gainer? And what brand would you suggest for me?

One scoop of this nitrotech stuff has 130 cals and 30 grams of sodium. Also a tub of this stuff runs you about 70$

mass gainer is a protein product with a carbohydrate source added to increase the calories for people looking to gain weight, usually it's dextrose/maltodextrin or ground oats.
  • steve0820
    Options

Most of them say Mass Gainer, or Gainer on them. Check the servings, if 1 or 2 scoops would be around 500 cals.

Cals are good, 30g of sodium????? I hope that's a typo haha, 2300mg is recommended daily, and that's 30000mg!

$70 for a 2lb tub?? Wow, yeah, that's really expensive. A 2lb tub at Walmart $20-$30, 80 servings of Creatine monohydrate(tub) $12.
  • Dozer561
    Dozer561 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    mass gainer is gonna have a bunch of other fats and carbs to bump up the calories if your trying to gain weight (bulking).

i just looked up a random mass gainer:

one serving: 3 scoops/700calories/17g fat/90g carb/46g protein.

i use ON gold double chocolate whey and i use 2 scoops for each shake with just water

2 scoops: 240calories/3g fat/6g carb/48g protein

id rather have a lower calorie high protein whey, and eat more food, or at least make the shake with milk, peanut butter/ real food which will bump the protein even higher instead of whatever is in the gainer powder.

2 scoops with 2% milk 370cal/ 59g protein, add a tablesppon of PB, 470cal/65g or so... and carbs and fat bumped a little
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

- unreasonably high sugar content (can be disguised as 'maltodrexin/dextrose etc') - you see some powders with 4-5+ grams of sugar per scoop this is the company using a sugar as a cheap filler to increase profit margin and give you less actual protein
    - single amino acids listed near the top of the ingredient list...again some companies are using 2-3 amino acids as a method of giving you less protein

This.

Outside of those two things the most important thing to find is something that you can enjoy/stand the taste of.
  • darreneatschicken
    Options

Most of them say Mass Gainer, or Gainer on them. Check the servings, if 1 or 2 scoops would be around 500 cals.

Cals are good, 30g of sodium????? I hope that's a typo haha, 2300mg is recommended daily, and that's 30000mg!

$70 for a 2lb tub?? Wow, yeah, that's really expensive. A 2lb tub at Walmart $20-$30, 80 servings of Creatine monohydrate(tub) $12.

Oops! I probably meant 30 mg, not 30 grams!
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    Things to look out for

I also don't buy the protein+creatine blended products......creatine is dirt cheap you are paying over the odds for convenience of having the 2 together.

Ok so I keep these 3 things in mind the next time I am shopping for a weight gainer.

Also brand doesn't matter, just get the best one for the cheapest price.
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    I heard that creatine is not needed if your young, is this true? I'm 19 btw.

What is creatine anyways and what are it's functions?
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Dymatize is one of the best on the market. you can get a 10lb box for 85.00 from allstarhealth.com. around 130 cals, 25g protein, 3 carb, 2 fat, 100mg sodium, 1 fiber. no maltodextrin or added fillers. tastes great and mixed smooth.
  • clackamas1911
    Options
    I like BioChem's Natural Whey which has zero additives. I get the BodyTech natural casein for the same reason. You can add your own carbs to either.
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    Store bought weight gainers are not the answer:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/vinced1.htm
  • steve0820
    Options
    Store bought weight gainers are not the answer:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/vinced1.htm

Take what articles they publish with a grain of salt IMO

Store bought weight gainers are a cheap and easy way to get protein and calories, and that's pretty much it. For 99% of us, it's what we are looking for.

and not the answer to what?
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Dymatize is one of the best on the market. you can get a 10lb box for 85.00 from allstarhealth.com. around 130 cals, 25g protein, 3 carb, 2 fat, 100mg sodium, 1 fiber. no maltodextrin or added fillers. tastes great and mixed smooth.

This ^

I use this amongst others, depending on training phase and goals. Any 'reputable' brand would suffice. But again, it all depends on goals. For example, you wouldn't buy a weight gaining protein powder if you were trying to cut.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    BAD Protein powders have fillers in them, look out for those, also I am of the school that you want a Protein powder that has no artificial sweetner so I go for a Stevia sweetened one.

There are a lot of Protein powders with fillers and artificial sweeteners.

Also depends what you are looking for, I try keep my Carbs low so I look for one with lower carbs. I get an Isolate as well.

I go for the Nar Labs Isolate, it's a good tasting powder and not too bad price wise really.
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    What is better about a whey protein that is "all natural" compared to one with artificial sweetners?