Skipping breakfast

Options

Replies

• WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat it, sometimes I don't. It depends on if I'm feeling hungry or not.

Part of my weight loss journey is learning to listen to my body's cues instead of forcing it to follow some regimen simply because I'm 'supposed' to. I'm a rebel :blushing:
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is a combination of two words

Break

And

Fast

It doesnt matter what time you break the fast as long as you break it.

Calories can not tell time...
  • cakeribs
    cakeribs Posts: 22
    Options
    Depends on what you're eating. When I ate a bunch of carbs/sugar during the day, I would be STARVING in the morning.

But I'm on a keto diet now and do intermittent fasting. I don't even think about eating until 10am. After breakfast, I don't pig out because there are no carbs making me crave more carbs.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast during the week, because I am often at the gym at 5am or so and always have some type of protein to eat when I get home. I do skip on the weekends a lot, because I know I have large brunch or dinner plans.
  • DMadelineP
    DMadelineP Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    weird-
    Whenever i don't eat breakfast, i am in my calorie goal, i feel strong and energetic because those carbs haven't slown me down, my stomach doesn't feel heavy, and I never feel hungry. I don't snack because i eat when i feel the need to, and i simultaneously save about 300 cals. Idk, i've honestly tried everything to make myself like/eat/benefit from eating breakfast, and so far... the best thing I can do is just drink milk&coffee because it's rich in protein and a great start for the day... but I'm probably going to cut that too, there's just too much estrogen and I do not enjoy having so many hormones....:P

whenever I do eat breakfast, i pressure myself to eat when i'm not hungry, which leads to mindless snacking while i'm still half asleep that continues throughout the day... not to mention the horrid acid reflux...
    so after trying oats, muesli, bread, cereal, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, omelets, cookies, popcorn, meat and nuts, sandwiches, muffins, bagels, and any other breakfast food I could think of... I've come to the conclusion that some people just aren't built for eating breakfast and there's no reason to force it down our throats.
  • mehrunisan
    mehrunisan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is, by far, my most fav meal of the deal. I usually work out 2 hours after having breakfast and i've noticed that my work outs have improved SIGNIFICANTLY since i've started eating breakfast. I've also lost more weight and I know that not cause of having breakfast alone but i just feel like its a good habit to stick to :)
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I dont and have no problem, if not hungry I dont eat and also I go to the gym in the morning and prefer to eat after.

I saw a couple of reports on the news recently that they find this (above quote) is the best way to go, eat a little bit, apple or something and then eat your meal after your workout in the morning...

I personally will eat breakfast if I'm hungry but otherwise like many it seems to make me feel sick when I do and I seem to be hungrier during the day, like it triggers the eat button!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat it, sometimes I don't. It depends on if I'm feeling hungry or not.

Part of my weight loss journey is learning to listen to my body's cues instead of forcing it to follow some regimen simply because I'm 'supposed' to. I'm a rebel :blushing:

Same here, mostly skip it, but if away in hotel for instance and someone else is cooking it, then I will eat it
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I don't eat until 4pm (IF window of 4p to 8p) every day and I work out fasted every morning with plenty of strength. I'm not hungry during the day, and I have plenty of energy. Just my preference and it's working great for me. Everyone is different. I know people who are ravenous as soon as they open their eyes and need something to eat right away.

Me: I look forward to my 4-hour feast after work! :-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    If you're a grown adult, breakfast like any other meal, is just a meal. It's really no more important than lunch, dinner, etc.

Personally I skip it everyday and have been for the past few years. Why? Because I like to eat at night. When my DD goes to bed, I watch the shows I DVRed that I can't watch when she's awake, and tend to snack doing it. So I'd rather have those calories available, rather than in the morning when I'm not watching TV.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • shegrif
    shegrif Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why, but I grew up in a home without breakfast.
    it was just never a custom for us.
    Good thing because the thought of food early in the morning makes me sick.
    I'm just not hungry then.
    I have tried several different times to make having a healthy breakfast a habit due to all the hype about it being the most important meal of the day.
    I have found that I have more energy and feel much better without it.
    I just don't believe its the most important meal for me.
    I have my first meal when I get hungry somewhere between 11.00 am and 1:00 pm.
    I do love breakfast foods though, so If I want them, I have anytime of the day fitting them into my daily goals.
  • Novus175
    Novus175 Posts: 80
    Options
    My theory is that by morning I have been fasting for 12+ hours so I need fuel to function and get through my day.

I don't know that I eat to fuel any specific activity.

That is what food is - fuel. Calories are a unit of energy. You need calories to have energy. Without calories, you're like a car without fuel....you're not going anywhere.

And to take that car analogy further - for me, not eating breakfast is like attempting a long roadtrip without stopping at the gas station to fill up the tank. And eating a huge dinner is like filling up the gas tank and then parking the car in the garage. Why put gas in the car if you're not going anywhere?
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I used to be a chronic breakfast-skipper. Then I'd go to work, have my "diet" lunch. When I got home I'd empty the cupboards until I fell asleep.

I started forcing myself to eat breakfast, which turned out well for me. I'm much more likely to eat something healthy (smoothies or omelets) and don't snack on junk after dinner. Then I wake up hungry for breakfast! So now I'm in a healthier cycle.

So I'm not really a "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" or "don't eat after 6pm"

I'm more likely to say, figure out what works well for your body and your schedule that will help you accomplish your specific goals.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    My theory is that by morning I have been fasting for 12+ hours so I need fuel to function and get through my day.

That is what food is - fuel. Calories are a unit of energy. You need calories to have energy. Without calories, you're like a car without fuel....you're not going anywhere.

And to take that car analogy further - for me, not eating breakfast is like attempting a long roadtrip without stopping at the gas station to fill up the tank. And eating a huge dinner is like filling up the gas tank and then parking the car in the garage. Why put gas in the car if you're not going anywhere?

I'll play. Where did the gas go overnight? Matter of fact I prefer to fill up my tank the day before any major trips to avoid hassle, not the day of :laugh:

My tummy may be full or empty depending on if I just ate. But the food is still in my body and I still have a steady influx of macro and micro nutrients due to my overall diet
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast. Never hindered my progress.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

I'll play. Where did the gas go overnight? Matter of fact I prefer to fill up my tank the day before any major trips to avoid hassle, not the day of :laugh:

My tummy may be full or empty depending on if I just ate. But the food is still in my body and I still have a steady influx of macro and micro nutrients due to my overall diet

This
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If I eat breakfast I will want to eat more throughout the day.

I find I need to eat little in the day and save my calories for the evening otherwise I end up eating whatever I can find
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I know that eating breakfast is important, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, skipping it is bad and so on, but I skipped breakfast every day this week and it made me want to eat less in the afternoon, plus it's great seeing that I'm consuming less calories without feeling hungry.

What about you? Is breakfast an absolute must for you or do you sometimes skip it?

I tend to oversleep sometimes, or just not want it. I do try to bring fruit with me the mornings I do work, or at least have a mid-morning snack just to get some fuel in me.

I still get a good amount of cals in per day. So whether or not I eat it, I still meet my goals for the day.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options

I am not a car and my body doesn't work like a car. This is seriously the silliest analogy ever.