Is this a problem or am I just not used to being active

Options
I have never been as active as I am being right now in my entire life... Jogging, cardio classes and free weights but I have noticed in my cardio classes like Zumba and stuff like that, I will hit this point where I feel dangerously close to passing out ( like to the point where I feel my eyes roll back) but if I can push through it I feel this burst of energy for like 5 solid minutes after that. Is that weird? I kind of end up yo-yoing like that through class. oh and i'm pretty sure I drink enough water.

Replies

• caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might have taken on too much too quickly. I personally feel that this isn't normal. I'm not a fan of pushing through dizziness and lightheadedness. If I ever feel that tired (which isn't often), I immediately stop and take a breather.
  • Nt2Badhuh
    Nt2Badhuh Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Im sorry I should have said this this has been going on consistently for 6 months . So I'm not like infant new to working out. I just thought i'd ask because sometimes I can not tell if I am doing too much and my body is telling me to stop or if I haven't been doing anything my whole life and my body is just WTF ARE YOU DOING AND WHERE IS OUR COUCH!
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I would ask the instructor before your next class. Personally, when I have felt dizzy in yoga classes, I just take it slow and when it's really bad, I just take a quick breather. Also, are you eating before you workout? Not eating enough can contribute to this.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Have you asked your doctor? I would call or ask an e-question to the doctor's nurse. (Does your healthcare provider use Epic? If so, they probably have the online MyChart where you can send in questions.)
  • Nt2Badhuh
    Options
    I haven't asked my doctor yet. I eat an hour and a half before a cardio class usually because if I don't I have NO energy. Thanks for your responses
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    There's not really a difference between 'doing too much' and it being just because your 'body isn't used to this much activity'......those are the same thing. It's your body telling you you're doing too much OR it could be some other medical related issue.

I'm in with another vote of not 'pushing through' dizziness. That's something I used to do when I played competitive soccer and ran cross-country....and if you do end up passing out and hitting the ground it's not going to feel good.

I'd speak with your doctor just to make sure that everything is OK. And even if you think you are hydrated enough, it can't hurt to hydrate more.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    First off, like everyone who has previously replied, please ask your doctor.

However, if I had to guess, it could be one of these 4 things (from http://munfitnessblog.com/6-reasons-you-may-feel-dizzy-during-exercise/):

1. Exercising on an empty stomach.
    2. Not drinking enough water.
    3. Working out too hard too soon.
    4. Coming to an abrupt stop when ending your cardio (no cooldown).

More seriously, you could suffer from low blood pressure or be anemic, which could prevent you from doing cardio.

To help determine what the cause is, please see your doctor.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I do but that tends to be because I have low blood pressure and low blood sugar so if I do not eat I can run the risk of passing out. So I agree with others about asking your DR.
  • omnisis
    omnisis Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would get your blood tested. You could be anemic or have another medical problem. Occasional nasuea or dizziness is okay but prolonged and repeated episodes especially after acclimating to the level of activity sounds like a medical condition to me. You could also try iron supplementation to see if that helps but I would wait until after getting a workup at my dr's.
  • Nt2Badhuh
    Options
    hmm Thank you for all your input... See that's why I asked... I was fully prepared to ignore this lol... but now I think I will have to ask my doctor the next time I see him
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a combination of "bonking" and "runners high".

Are you eating enough overall - not just before your workout?

Anyway - I agree with the others, time to ask your doctor!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I haven't asked my doctor yet. I eat an hour and a half before a cardio class usually because if I don't I have NO energy. Thanks for your responses

hm, what's your blood pressure like?
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    hmm Thank you for all your input... See that's why I asked... I was fully prepared to ignore this lol... but now I think I will have to ask my doctor the next time I see him

Yes, please talk to your doctor. If i was getting dizziness i would stop until i saw my doctor.
  • Nt2Badhuh
    Options
    My blood pressure was really good the last time I was checked out. I eat A LOT.... At least 1370 a day. EVERY DAY! I really will have to ask a doctor I guess because It's every time.. I start to feel like if I do anything else I will pass out but then I push through and BOOM ENERGY. I don't know what that's about.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Please don't traumatize your poor Zumba teacher by passing out in class! Feeling like you're going to pass out isn't healthy, and pushing through it isn't really responsible.
  • Nt2Badhuh
    Options
    Please don't traumatize your poor Zumba teacher by passing out in class! Feeling like you're going to pass out isn't healthy, and pushing through it isn't really responsible.

That's why i asked the question... but truthfully...every bit of progress I've had has come through pushing through. I do get the concern and I will ask my doctor. Thank you guys for all your input...
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I have to smile at your idea of what eating A LOT is. I eat 1800 - 2000 calories a day - and sometimes that doesn't seem like enough. :)
  • Nt2Badhuh
    Options
    I have to smile at your idea of what eating A LOT is. I eat 1800 - 2000 calories a day - and sometimes that doesn't seem like enough. :)

Yeah I think I only say that because I was stuck on 1200 for so long and I've just moved up to 1560 and now i'm like WOW... I CAN STILL EAT? FREEDOM!
  • casscass78
    casscass78 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    it could be simply dehydration or you didn't eat enough carbs so your body is going into what the heck are you doing mode haha
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Do you eat something before class?