How do you go about treats?

Options
Zoe_lifts
Zoe_lifts Posts: 120 Member
Hi everyone.

I've been having the munchies really bad lately. After a period of eating totally clean and losing a good amount of weight i'm upping my calories a bit and i automatically think 'hey i can have sweets now'.
But i know that if i'm getting more than one a day I will be craving more and more and more soon and i'll good back to my old habits... (it's happened to me before.)
I always take cookies to work for the afternoon.. but mostly i try to keep them a bit 'healthy', things crackers with raisins or granola bars with chocolate.
But then i start craving more sweet stuff and when i get home in the evening and in front of the TV i want to eat icecream, crisps, anything unhealthy basically..
What do you do to get rid of cravings? how many treats do you allow yourself? I'd like to know what other people do. :-)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    IIFYM...
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I meal plan, and prelog meals a week in advance. After I've logged each meal, I add in whatever snacks meet my remaining calories.

I buy packages of single serving containers, or once I buy them, I take time and weigh out single servings and bag them up myself.

I don't really ignore cravings, unless I don't have enough calories that day. If I crave something and can't afford it calorie wise, I will try and have it the next day (or day after). If I'm out of calories, I drink a lot of water, it usually helps me.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I usually prelog my day and work the sweets in after I've roughly logged my meals. I don't cut anything out.

I had cupcakes yesterday and today I'm going to a party and having birthday cake.

If you're worried about fitting it into your calorie goal, go out and do a little extra exercise. But otherwise, just fit it in and eat it.
  • jackeeeeeey
    jackeeeeeey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why, but when I go on a low carb diet I seem to lose all desire to eat sweets. I can if I want, but I don't get sugar cravings.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    200-300 calories a day in average. But I guess it depends on your definition of 'treat' too. I find that having a bit when I have a craving helps avoiding binges and going back to my old eating habits.
  • Zoe_lifts
    Zoe_lifts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone ! :)
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I try to keep a bag of frozen mixed fruits to add to silk chocolate milk and make a smoothie and also keep Fiber one bars which are low in calories and sodium
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I eat treats whenever I want them as long as they fit into my calorie day.
    The thing I've learned to not go crazy with my treats is-eat a satisfying meal first and then I will just eat the amount of a treat that I've allotted to myself. I workout 1 hour per day so I can have a decent portion.
    Sometimes I just want a more healthy treat like yogurt/honey/cinnamon/ch. walnuts and that really tastes to me like a
    more "decadent" treat and I'm full and happy!
    Other times, only chocolate will do or ice cream.
  • uglycrying
    uglycrying Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I lost most of the weight that I have while eating something sweet nearly everyday-- I just looked for lower cal treats usually and allotted calories for those, about 100-400 cals depending on what I wanted. I had an ice cream phase recently and got those Skinnycow brand ice cream sandwiches, not bad, and only 150 cal. However YMMV, you may find it's easier to just stay away from treats completely than trying to manage having 1 or 2. I had treats at the end of the night after dinner always, I think it helped that I already ate and thus was somewhat full-- made it easier to limit myself.

Right now, I am actually trying to limit treats to just the weekend... just completed by first successful week of that! I have to say it's kind of nice not trying to 'fit in' and manage treat calories everyday... suddenly I have so many more calories for the day, it's kind of awesome. One thing that I think has helped me make this transition easier is getting to bed earlier and waking earlier, that means limiting the TV I watch at night as well-- usually just an hour per night on weekdays. I think excessive TV watching makes most people want to snack more, so you may want to consider changing your routine to do something else instead of that or limiting the amount of TV you watch if you experience a lot of cravings during it.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated treats, I have just reduced them. I usually have 200-300 calories at the end of the day that I use to balance my macros or enjoy a treat. I plan my day to include that. I make sure that I weigh out a single serving as identified on the package.

The simple rule is, if I eat it, I log it. If I eat a treat I hadn't planned on I try to limit the portion size and cut calories somewhere else during the same day or the next day.

It is all about finding the right balance for you. Some people find they have to stay away from trigger foods all together. I prefer to manage the cravings without letting it turn into a binge.
  • skinnyv3gan
    skinnyv3gan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars are my treats. They're delicious and pretty nutritious. My favorite is the chocolate chip cookie dough one. I highly recommend it!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    IIFYM...

this^^
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If you can eat a small portion and be fine with that, great! Many of us who are or were obese deal with binge eating and "treats" can be big triggers. I'm not really able to eat treats in any reasonable quantity so I try to avoid it.
  • jamesryanfletcher
    jamesryanfletcher Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    At the moment, if I can fit it into my daily Calorie target I do. I am moving toward IIFYM.
  • Bikerchick68
    Bikerchick68 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi guys - what does IIFYM mean?
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I usually prelog my day and work the sweets in after I've roughly logged my meals. I don't cut anything out.

^^^^ This.

If I know it's a special occasion or I'm going to be eating birthday cake then I put that in the diary in advance so I can plan best around it.
    I find that if I stick closely to my macros I don't really crave sweet stuff so much anyway. Or make better choices such as greek yoghurt with honey and nuts.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    The only treat I bring into my house is extra dark chocolate.

Other than that, I have an ice cream cone 1-3x per week. That's about it. I don't really care about any other treats. I've decided if I can still go to the local homemade ice cream place down the street from time to time, my life is complete.
  • jamesryanfletcher
    jamesryanfletcher Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi guys - what does IIFYM mean?

IIFYM stands for If It Fits Your Macro(nutrient)s. It is typically represented as a methodology that suggests that while you should eat predominantly 'healthy' (i.e. micronutrient dense and minimally processed) foods but if you can meet your targets for calories, protein, fats, fibre and carbs you can indulge in treat foods. Most sources on IIFYM have minimums for protein, fats and fibre (not that fibre is a macro strictly speaking) and that you eat carbs for balance, performance and satiety.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars are my treats. They're delicious and pretty nutritious. My favorite is the chocolate chip cookie dough one. I highly recommend it!

THIS and IIFYM -both work for me
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If I really want something which is a "treat", I will try something else first.

My latest thing is dried figs, dates and Nakd Cocoa Delight Bars.

I've found that I eat significantly less processed chocolate bars/crisps/salted nuts etc. Whilst the figs/dates/nakd aren't the lowest calorie food options, They come in at a lower than a Mars Bar or Pringles! And they keep me full/mind off the food.