Foods you don't count

Options
What are some foods/drinks (save zero calorie drinks) that you don't track calories for but know that they have calories?

-Coffee (black)
-Seasonings/Spices
-Leafy Greens
-Sugar packets (to be fair, I only use 1 per day max but that's still about 15 cals)

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The only thing I don't count are spices or '0 calorie' sweeteners, but because I really have no idea how many calories they really have (which, by the pain, is a major pain in the butt when you use more than one serving). I even log my 5 calories coffee.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I was going to say i track every single thing, but then I saw you listed spices and seasonings. :tongue: If I'm creating a recipe, I always list all the ingredients, even if they are 0 cal - but I skip things like the salt & pepper I put on my eggs, the seasoning on a burger, etc.

Other than that, I log everything, even black coffee and unsweetened tea.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash. It has no calories! But I shake it without measuring, so I don't even know how much I use.

I don't add table salt, but if I did, I'd count it for the sodium.

I count ALL food. What's the point of counting if you don't count everything?
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Spices and ketchup, I'm just responsible with it.

Anything bigger than that and you're just kidding yourself.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Coffee, spices
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    WISH SAMICH!
  • meltoine
    meltoine Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't count spices.

If I get to the end of the day and I have some calories left, I sometimes make a snack I've logged before that I know is within the cals I have left and never bother logging it because I know it fits.

I don't use any alternative sweeteners or diet soda.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I only don't count things that actually lack calories. Spices and stuff. Everything else gets weighed and logged.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Coffee, spices
    Some spices such as cinnamon actually have more calories than you'd think. Personally I track everything then the margin for errors is reduced
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    i dont log spices unless i KNOW they have calories (am i ignorant and dont know that the ones i use have cals??), i dont log my splenda intake (yeah i know artificial sweeteners are bad).. i dont log my gum.. and usually forget to log an occasional mint after mexican dinner. other then that i log everything. even my vitamins.

oh i havent been logging my melatonin vitamins lately because i didnt know i was gonna use them.. but usually i have at least 30 calories left over so technically they are accounted for. just not logged.

oh and coffee. but isnt coffee zero calorie unless you add stuff? i dont log tea either.. or any zero cal drinks.
  • caitology
    caitology Posts: 50
    Options
    Spices are really the only thing. Have to log ketchup because it is 20 cals per tbsp.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    water
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I track all foods even zero calories food.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I track everything. Even my meds.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    Spices and ketchup, I'm just responsible with it.

Anything bigger than that and you're just kidding yourself.

Agreed. I don't count ketchup unless I am using a lot of it. If it's =<1 serving, I don't count it. I've lost 62 lbs, so this works just fine for me. I also wouldn't log a 5 calorie coffee, or even my 10 calorie water mixes. It's 10 calories, it isn't a make or break. If you aren't losing weight, then its probably a good idea to log these items. If you are losing weight, then it's probably insignificant.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd totally track spices if I knew how many calories they have. But it's not on the bottle.
  • shegrif
    shegrif Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I track everything that has calories no matter how few. That includes leafy greens.
    Even my sugarless Orbit gum. Each piece has 5 calories.
    Those little 5,10,15,20.. calorie items add up in a day and can impact your weight loss.
    I even track some things with 0 calories like my vitamins because I also track my potassium and certain vitamins through the reports.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I log spices that have certain micronutrients, but not others that don't. I don't count salt or pepper because I don't track sodium at all.

I am on a logging break, though, so I guess right now I'm not logging anything.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Spices other than salt, such as pepper, oregano, thyme, etc...
  • aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Mustard.