opinions on carbs..

Options
I was always led to believe carbs were bad (even good carbs!) for weight loss. My doctor, who is very slim, mentioned at an appointment recently she believes the opposite. She eats hell of a lot of carbs and very little fat and remains slim.

DO you believe it depends on the person?

is it really cals in/out?

Be interested in your opinion.

Just to add I eat carbs and am just interested in the thoughts of Mfp-ers.

Thanks

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is primarily calories in vs calories out. But, calories in effects calories out.

My belief is that there is likely some individual variability as far as individual response to carbohydrate and how that effects mood, performance, behavior, and diet adherence which will then effect weight loss.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    No. Basic weight loss is always calories in VS calories out. Accurate logging on food and exercise. You could eat doughnuts all day as long as you stayed within you calorie boundaries.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is primarily calories in vs calories out. But, calories in effects calories out.

My belief is that there is likely some individual variability as far as individual response to carbohydrate and how that effects mood, performance, behavior, and diet adherence which will then effect weight loss.

Better put than me. This!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I like this.

I eat plenty of carbs, but it's limited to some extent because I try to reach my protein goal (110g or so). And bread won't fill me up as much as, say, Greek yogurt with some PB2, or a deli ham and cheese roll up.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    All macros have a rightful place within our regimen for different reasons.

For strictly weight loss, it's all about the calorie deficit. Body composition is another story.
  • Holly_k88
    Holly_k88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb and because fat keeps me full I find I only eat around 1000 calories without trying to limit them. I don't know if its the low carb or the low calorie thats working best.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of carbs :-)

I eat what fits in my macros. People make it much more complicated then it has to be. I weighed 202 after giving birth, it felt awful. I was miserable. Finally when I was done making excuses, and ready to do the work necessary, I lost the weight. I weigh 135 now. I never gave up carbs or anything else I liked. I just ate what fit for the day!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Carbs are yummy, IMO!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Carbs are yummy, IMO!

This!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I eat 60% carbs and I've lost a wee bit of weight
  • Murphy0126
    Murphy0126 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    ........double post
  • Murphy0126
    Murphy0126 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    There are days where I eat close to 400 grams of carbs. Average is about 150, and about 250 - 300 grams of protein.

I do believe my ticker says it all when it comes to the whole, "Carbs are the Devil" debate.

I am very pro-choice when it comes to people deciding to drastically and ridiculously lower carbs from their diet though, as this allows me to partake in more of the deliciousness.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Carbs are fine. They should be the majority of your diet. 4 calories per gram, just like protein.

Honestly, this anti-carb thing has been massively destructive. :(
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I was always led to believe carbs were bad (even good carbs!) for weight loss.

Carbs make me hot in a way that no woman except for maybe Shakira, will ever. EVER. be able to. They're fine, like all other things in life, from cocaine to drunken brawls: moderation. I sometimes eat a lot of carbs, sometimes little, and I've not just lost weight (233 now from 275 high, but I've kept it off without any significant increases for almost two years.)

Anyway, go have a slice of cake and a beer, US is going to tool up Portugal. That calls for a beer.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

Couldn't be said better. People need to find what fuels their body best, it's all individual. You wouldn't run jet fuel in a pinto. Personally, I like more carbs on heavy lifting days, and more protein on rest days, and I leave my fats fairly consistent.

Rigger
  • emilyGPK
    emilyGPK Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think that for most people the non-sexy truth is that we should have moderate amounts of everything, carbs, fat and protein.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I was always led to believe carbs were bad (even good carbs!) for weight loss. My doctor, who is very slim, mentioned at an appointment recently she believes the opposite. She eats hell of a lot of carbs and very little fat and remains slim.

DO you believe it depends on the person?

is it really cals in/out?

Be interested in your opinion.

Just to add I eat carbs and am just interested in the thoughts of Mfp-ers.

Thanks

I think it depends on the person.
    Some people need to cut carbs for medical reasons.
    But for me personally, I am for 200+ a day, and I've lost consistently with my calorie deficit.
  • nightangel824
    nightangel824 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There is nothing inherently wrong with carbs. For some people carbs are very helpful in their weight loss especially complex carbs (with a fiber attached) which can help people to feel fuller sooner and stay fuller longer, or by indulging a sweet tooth to help them stay on track. The main reason carbs are cut in so many diets is because in order to stay under your calorie goals you have to cut something. Protein is very much essential to any diet for amino acids that the body cannot produce from body stores, and most people are trying to change body composition more so than strictly weight loss (whether they understand that or not). Protein is extremely important in helping to maintain muscle mass while in a caloric deficit and can help with satiety as well. Fat is also an essential nutrient in the diet for the production of inflammatory mediators in the body which cannot be synthesized otherwise, and it is also generally the best at triggering satiety signals. Thus we are left with alcohol and carbs (the two non-essential macro-nutrients) to cut from. Generally speaking fat and protein can be decreased (not excluded) in most people's diets, but alcohol and carbs are almost always (there are some exceptions) the easiest, most helpful, and safest places to cut from in order for someone to be in a caloric deficit. Lastly carbs increase water retention when stored as glycogen so a lot of diets cut them in order for people to feel as though they the diet is working when they lost 5+ pounds in the first week of the diet.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It's calories in vs calories out. Carbs are "bad" because they have a lot of calories and a lot of people overeat because they love foods that are high in carbs.

The truth is that you need to do a diet that is sustainable long-term. Do not cut out an entire food group. Instead, eat what you like but in moderation. Keep it under your calorie count. 80% healthy, 20% indulgent. If you feel like you're depriving yourself then you are more likely to binge.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I can't have the beast workouts I expect from myself to without lots of them. So my opinion of them is pretty high.