Do I HAVE to eat some of my exercise calories back?

Options
I've been reading some of the message boards here, and I've seen multiple people say that you should eat back some of the calories you burned during exercise, specifically at least half. Isn't this counterintuitive? For my personal plan, I typically try to eat 1500 calories a day, and exercise an hour every day. I usually do Zumba, and according to MFP, I'm burning about 772 calories per hour of Zumba. I still try not to go over my 1500, regardless of my exercise. Is this Ok? Am I eating enough?

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    The 1500 calorie goal already has a deficit for weight loss built in. If you are burning 772 (MFP #'s can be way high), then your body is living off of about 700 calories, so, no not eating enough. It is not counterintuitive, it prepares you for maintenance.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    It's not very likely you're burning 772 cals, MFP loves to overestimate burns. To make sure, I would suggest investing in an HRM.

And yes. You should be eating at least half of you exercise calories.
  • shiningpotential
    Options
    Thank you guys for your input! Maybe this is why I feel Le I'm starving a lot of times. I'm eating a great deal of protein and veggies and such, but I still find myself super hungry before dinner, even with a150 calorie snack.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I think you're fine with what you're doing. You'll lose weight a little faster than the recommended, but I don't see a point in eating back 1/2 the calories burned.

The point is you want the minimum of 1200 in your digestive track so your body doesn't go into starvation mode, thereby shutting down your metabolism.
  • Argentumdrakon
    Argentumdrakon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Definately get a HRM so you have a more exact number for your burn.
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    I think you're fine with what you're doing. You'll lose weight a little faster than the recommended, but I don't see a point in eating back 1/2 the calories burned.

No. You may lose a little faster initially, but it's not sustainable.
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    Thank you guys for your input! Maybe this is why I feel Le I'm starving a lot of times. I'm eating a great deal of protein and veggies and such, but I still find myself super hungry before dinner, even with a150 calorie snack.

You're welcome. Ultimately I'd suggest getting the HRM as suggested (heart rate monitor) as 772 calories is probably too high and working your way up to eating back the exercise calories. Has never failed me!
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    So as always there is a flip side to every coin. Personally I don't eat back exercise calories unless I need more fuel for any given activity. I mostly skip the gym and just hop on the bike for a few hours a day but the calorie burn estimates are huge. If I am hungry or feel low on energy I eat more food but most of the time my 1700-1900 calories eaten a day is plenty even if I go for a five hour bike ride with an estimated calorie burn of 3000 or more.

For me, most of the hunger stuff was dealt with by finding foods that fill me up. I'll eat a serving of lean meat and a big bowl of veggies for 300-400 calories and be good to go for a few hours whatever I am out doing. If you keep poking around with different foods you might find you can fill up well on most any caloric goal you set for yourself.

As others have mentioned, the calorie burns are normally over estimated and most people seem to underestimate their calories eaten (especially before they start weighing and measuring stuff) so if you decide to eat them back just try to keep that in mind especially if you don't end up losing close to what your weekly goal is set for.

Anyway, just thought I would toss out the "conflicting" view. Good luck!
  • shiningpotential
    Options

You're welcome. Ultimately I'd suggest getting the HRM as suggested (heart rate monitor) as 772 calories is probably too high and working your way up to eating back the exercise calories. Has never failed me!

Yeah, someone else suggested the HRM, too. I'm going to see about getting one. Is there a moderately proceed brand that gives accurate measurements that you could recommend?
  • shiningpotential
    Options
    So as always there is a flip side to every coin. Personally I don't eat back exercise calories unless I need more fuel for any given activity. I mostly skip the gym and just hop on the bike for a few hours a day but the calorie burn estimates are huge. If I am hungry or feel low on energy I eat more food but most of the time my 1700-1900 calories eaten a day is plenty even if I go for a five hour bike ride with an estimated calorie burn of 3000 or more.

For me, most of the hunger stuff was dealt with by finding foods that fill me up. I'll eat a serving of lean meat and a big bowl of veggies for 300-400 calories and be good to go for a few hours whatever I am out doing. If you keep poking around with different foods you might find you can fill up well on most any caloric goal you set for yourself.

As others have mentioned, the calorie burns are normally over estimated and most people seem to underestimate their calories eaten (especially before they start weighing and measuring stuff) so if you decide to eat them back just try to keep that in mind especially if you don't end up losing close to what your weekly goal is set for.

Anyway, just thought I would toss out the "conflicting" view. Good luck!

Thank you so much for that flip side of the coin! And it's been in the back of my mind that I may be underestimating caloric intake and overestimating caloric burn. I'm very new to MFP, and am trying to find a good balance and what works for me. I'm down 11 lbs in just a few weeks, so I feel like I must be doing something right, right? Lol. I'll try to bulk up on more veggies. I do eat way more than I used to, but apparently I need more. Maybe I'll stay full for longer periods of time.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba sometimes but I don't believe the burn numbers. I will tell you what, I will do some Zumba sometime this week and see how much my hrm with a chest strap says it burns, I think it is more like 400 calories/hour on a good day unless you are doing an advanced form.

You should not go under 1200 as you need that much just to function, so you should eat some back, but you don't have to eat all that, it is probably more than you really burn anyway.

I recommend getting a heart rate monitor, for something like Zumba, you will get a pretty accurate number.
  • johnsongs1
    johnsongs1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    What is a HRM and how does it work? Can you use it with stationary biking and all exercises - or just running, zumba, walking? I'd also like a recommendation or a reasonably priced product. Also I see that some have a chest strap and others don't. What"s that about?
  • madaraku
    madaraku Posts: 6
    Options
    I do 1200ckal diet and workout 5 days per week. I burning around 550 cals per 1 hour and trying to eat back. But not always I can eat back coz just don't wanna eat.
    I do not know if it's right or not but I can not lose 1 kg per week like it's says. :(
  • BlueButterfly37
    BlueButterfly37 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I keep wondering about eating back calories so this is an interesting topic. I will say a couple of weeks ago I bought an HRM and found I was not burning anywhere near what I thought for every exercise-
  • shiningpotential
    Options
    I do Zumba sometimes but I don't believe the burn numbers. I will tell you what, I will do some Zumba sometime this week and see how much my hrm with a chest strap says it burns, I think it is more like 400 calories/hour on a good day unless you are doing an advanced form.

You should not go under 1200 as you need that much just to function, so you should eat some back, but you don't have to eat all that, it is probably more than you really burn anyway.

I recommend getting a heart rate monitor, for something like Zumba, you will get a pretty accurate number.
    That would be so awesome if you could do that for me! At least that will help my calculations till I get an HRM.
  • shiningpotential
    Options
    So does anyone have any input as to what a good, reasonably priced, and accurate HRM brand/type/style is?
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I do 1200ckal diet and workout 5 days per week. I burning around 550 cals per 1 hour and trying to eat back. But not always I can eat back coz just don't wanna eat.
    I do not know if it's right or not but I can not lose 1 kg per week like it's says. :(

2 lbs a week is not realistic unless you are severely overweight or obese. 0.5 - 1 lb is more likely if you have less than 25 lbs to loose.
  • _IronDan_
    _IronDan_ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The polar ft4 is a good reliable HRM and in the uk sells for £55 ish on amazon

I personally don't eat back calories burnt but you have to find what works for you.
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    they way myfitnesspal is designed is what they suggest your calories are you eat that AND exercise calories. if you use a tdee method then you dont eat the calories back. again get an hrm because the calorie burns here are guesstimates and often inaccurate.

the most popular hrm brands are polar but they are kinda pricey. if you have a chest strap one then its supposed to be more accurate. personally i bought a one touch hrm watch from walmart for $30 cuz thats all i could find locally and afford. it gets the job done most of the time. i would like to buy a fancy one, one day though.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

The point is you want the minimum of 1200 in your digestive track so your body doesn't go into starvation mode, thereby shutting down your metabolism.

Don't listen to a single word of this ignorant nonsense.

OP, eat back between 25-50% of your exercise calories, MFP's calculations for exercise are a bit high, and listen to your body when it tells you it needs more fuel.

Rigger