Going to start skipping...yea, the little kid kind

Skipping--I'm talking about the kind that propels you forward and does not use a rope--is great exercise. It is plyometric in that it is explosive, but can also be maintained for appreciable distances as an aerobic activity. It engages the glutes and upper body more than running. Also, it's totally fun.

http://iskip.com/blog/benefits/

Anyway, I'm going to start adding skipping intervals to my runs. I had to cut my run short yesterday, so I owe myself another 1.8 miles. I'm going to try .3 miles running and .3 skipping. I'll have my Garmin and BodyMedia Fit so I can see my pace and calories burned and compare it to a normal run.

I thought I'd see if anyone else would like to try skipping for exercise along with me! :)

Replies

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    - how about taking a skipping rope with you and doing forward skipping over the skip-rope? I would fall on my face but I don't mind suggesting you do it!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Haha, I can't jump rope at all! Skipping is much easier :)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Well it was storming so I didn't get to do my run, but I did skip as my warmup for an intense lower body workout. It was way harder than I had anticipated. I strongly recommend it! My calves were really burning.