Foods you don't count

Options

Replies

• Thesis_gut
    Thesis_gut Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Don't tend to log condiments apart from mayo of course, but then again I probably have 1-2 servings of ketchup or mustard a week, so it's not a big deal.

Don't log spices or herbs either.

Always log coffee as I drink it with milk and rather a lot of it too, don't log the occasional cup of tea with milk, don't log herbal teas or zero calorie drinks (even if they have say 5 calories per serving).

Don't log sugar free gum or after dinner mints (if I'm having a mint it's because I've gone out to dinner and probably have blown my calorie allowance anyway).

Finally I don't log the occasional bite I steal off my husband - that's the only thing I feel I should change as all these bites add up. If I've nicked a substantial amount I'll log it as half a sandwich or something.
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    leafy green- many type of herbs. I know they don't worth much so I'm too lazy to count them.
  • no_russian
    no_russian Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I diligently count everything except spices.
  • apple_22over7
    Options
    I don't log herbs & spices, salt & pepper - they're pretty much close to 0 and frankly I'd rather be over my goal by a few calories than faff about trying to measure and log them.

I can be pretty rough & ready when logging salad leaves and some veggies, but again they're so low calorie it doesn't make a major difference.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    coffee
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Bell peppers. I eat a lot of 'em, though..... LOL. Peppers are my favorite veggie! Thankfully, they aren't very high in cals...
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i dont log spices unless i KNOW they have calories (am i ignorant and dont know that the ones i use have cals??), i dont log my splenda intake (yeah i know artificial sweeteners are bad).. i dont log my gum.. and usually forget to log an occasional mint after mexican dinner. other then that i log everything. even my vitamins.

oh i havent been logging my melatonin vitamins lately because i didnt know i was gonna use them.. but usually i have at least 30 calories left over so technically they are accounted for. just not logged.

oh and coffee. but isnt coffee zero calorie unless you add stuff? i dont log tea either.. or any zero cal drinks.

I don't know what spices you use, but I was logging some recipes and googled the calories for the spices I used out of sheer curiosity and it was pretty surprising (we're talking up to 30 cals per tablespoon - don't recall which though). Coffee is about 5-8 calories per cup (just black) from what I understand, but I may be mistaken.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I pretty much count everything, except I do forget to log black coffee sometimes
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    In addition to herbs/spices, I don't log mustard, and I don't log veggies in small amounts, like the toppings on my sandwich (single slice of tomato and onion, a few slices of pickle, a single leaf of lettuce...). I do log ketchup and other spreads/dips though, those can add up.

ETA: Also, diet soda. I drink a ton of it, and don't count it at all.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Since we're all being honest...

Crystal Light - I believe it has 5 calories per cup.
    Spices - I just toss it in and go.
    Mustard - There are no calories, but I know it has sodium.

Even without counting them, I'm still losing weight at a consistent rate. Moderation really is the key for me.
  • FionaAnne22
    FionaAnne22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Spices and herbs, that's it! My diary is a mammoth read sometimes lol!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Spices and herbs unless they are going into a recipe
    diet soda
    Walden Farms calorie free salad dressing

Some of them (like the dressing) have sodium but I am not on a sodium restricted diet so I don't worry about it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    I don't log herbs & spices, salt & pepper - they're pretty much close to 0 and frankly I'd rather be over my goal by a few calories than faff about trying to measure and log them.

I can be pretty rough & ready when logging salad leaves and some veggies, but again they're so low calorie it doesn't make a major difference.

Yes I agree with this - spices don't get logged here or dash of ketchup and whilst I do log things like leafy greens, I don't measure them meticulously like other items - the calorie content is so low, a difference in accuracy by guessing isn't going to make any difference really.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Hot Sauce
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    i dont log spices unless i KNOW they have calories (am i ignorant and dont know that the ones i use have cals??), i dont log my splenda intake (yeah i know artificial sweeteners are bad).. i dont log my gum.. and usually forget to log an occasional mint after mexican dinner. other then that i log everything. even my vitamins.

oh i havent been logging my melatonin vitamins lately because i didnt know i was gonna use them.. but usually i have at least 30 calories left over so technically they are accounted for. just not logged.

oh and coffee. but isnt coffee zero calorie unless you add stuff? i dont log tea either.. or any zero cal drinks.

I don't know what spices you use, but I was logging some recipes and googled the calories for the spices I used out of sheer curiosity and it was pretty surprising (we're talking up to 30 cals per tablespoon - don't recall which though). Coffee is about 5-8 calories per cup (just black) from what I understand, but I may be mistaken.

Yes some spices may be up to 30 calories per tablespoon - but who ever eats a tablespoon of a spice in one time?? - the tiny bit of pepper you sprinkle on your food or the pinch of nutmeg in your cake recipe - not going to make any difference to your calorie intake that day.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    There are very few items I don't log, most of which are food "enhancers":

Stevia or Splenda (1-2 packets a day, max)
    Mio-type water enhancers (max of 2 moderate "servings" a day)
    Spices (which are mostly just a dash of salt and pepper on stuff, sometimes fresh garlic or ginger or cilantro in tiny amounts)

So, probably less then 20 cals a day not logged. I DO log lettuce, spinach, veggies, coffee, Diet Pepsi, hot sauce, salsa, etc. since I consume those things in large quantities, well enough to add up to a few 100 cals/day. I do also like to see my coffee and Diet Pepsi consumption, so I can keep it "in check." No need to overindulge in my favorite food group-caffeine, lol.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Herbs and spices, garlic, diet soda, coffee.

I often estimate salad greens (1 cup/1.5 cups), although at other times I weigh them.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i don't count

seasonings - pepper, dill
    0 calorie sweeteners (pure stevia, splenda, sweet n low, etc)
    i also don't log 1 tsp of no-salt mustard

i do log lettuce and other low calorie veggies
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Spices, gum, sweetener, coffee, those 1/5 of a second spray oil or I can't believe it's not butter spray, water mixers in the pouch or liquid water enhancers, "insignificant" licks and bites, Taco Bell sauce pack...
  • Tomboly1
    Tomboly1 Posts: 42
    Options
    I don't log my gummy vitamins or spices. I've been loosing weight so i don't see the problem with not logging it.