Weight Training on Empty Stomach?

Options
Hi! I am trying to figure out a few things. I just recently started weight lifting, albeit, not very much, or really heavy weights, but I am facing my fear in the gym and just doing it :)
I generally go the gym in the morning and am trying to figure out about what to eat and such. I like to lift weights and do some form of cardio for about 20-30 minutes after. I just can't find the right balance of food. Sometimes I feel shaky and sometimes I feel overly full and uncomfortable.
What are some food suggestions you have for things I could eat before heading to the gym? Would it be best to go without any food, that could put me at around 12 hours of no food, if not more.
Thanks!

Replies

• seekingjoyandfitness
    Options
    Bump*
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I do all my exercise fasted, and it hasn't been a problem for me.
  • Catherine0959
    Options
    Check out this website. You should eat before and after exercise, both to fuel you and aid in recover. This website says it better than I.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/in-depth/exercise/art-20045506
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I lift about an hour or so after I get up in the morning, I only drink coffee beforehand
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    If I eat before I lift I start to feel nauseous during my lifts so it is out. I also am at the gym at 6am so I don't really want to eat at that time.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I would listen to your body on this one. If you don't feel well not eating before a workout, try some different things beforehand. If you don't feel when you do eat before a workout, there's no need to.

Personally I can't do my strength training on an empty stomach. I always eat some right before even if it's just a couple bites. For me it's best if it's something carb heavy... half a sandwich, a couple small cookies.
  • seekingjoyandfitness
    Options
    Thank you for the comments!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I avoid eating for at least a few hours before lifting. If I eat sooner than that, it may come back up when I go hard.

That means I'm sometimes fasted, sometimes not.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I avoid eating for at least a few hours before lifting. If I eat sooner than that, it may come back up when I go hard.

That means I'm sometimes fasted, sometimes not.

same here

Only you can answer this question - everyone is different so experiment and try different things until you find what works :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ... and if you do go the eating route.

Make sure you know where the trashcans are. Just in case.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am trying to figure out a few things. I just recently started weight lifting, albeit, not very much, or really heavy weights, but I am facing my fear in the gym and just doing it :)
    I generally go the gym in the morning and am trying to figure out about what to eat and such. I like to lift weights and do some form of cardio for about 20-30 minutes after. I just can't find the right balance of food. Sometimes I feel shaky and sometimes I feel overly full and uncomfortable.
    What are some food suggestions you have for things I could eat before heading to the gym? Would it be best to go without any food, that could put me at around 12 hours of no food, if not more.
    Thanks!
    Whether or not to eat prior to your gym workout is personal preference only. I did not eat prior to working out for a long time, but then I found myself getting nauseated and a bit lightheaded. When I started eating a small amount prior to working out, I the nausea and lightheadedness went away.

I will sometimes eat a small amount of lactose cottage cheese, boiled egg, or a greek yogurt prior to the gym. I count it as part of my breakfast, which I eat after workout.

Find foods you like to eat and have just enough that feels comfortable to you.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    for best results, pre and post workouts meals are a must.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I really admire people who can exercise or train intensely while in a fasted/hungry state. I've tried this many times and it is really difficult. It's more manageable with cardio than lifting for me. If I try lifting heavy while hungry, I am very weak.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    If gym performance is better fasted, do that.

If gym performance is better fed, then do that.

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

Get some protein into you post workout and be done with it :smile: