YOU have control

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
There's a little thing to keep in mind... Life can suck. You lose loved ones, your job is a mess, you have a nasty divorce, your kids drive you nuts, your husband/boyfriend keeps bringing in sweets... It's very easy to use those as excuses. I've done it. I'd wager that most of us have done it.

But think of it this way... your eating and exercising is THE ONE THING that YOU can control. Everything might fall apart around you, but what you eat and how you exercise is one thing you can control. Don't let it go to waste... and just think of how great you'll feel in 6 months or one year to have succeeded in doing just this one thing for yourself.

Replies

• Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I find this post incredibly crass. A loved one dying, or even a nasty divorce, are not equal to kids being annoying or a husband who brings home sweets. Think before you post.
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    this_zps8caac29d.gif

Pretty bad!
  • Francl27
    Options
    I find this post incredibly crass. A loved one dying, or even a nasty divorce, are not equal to kids being annoying or a husband who brings home sweets. Think before you post.

Of course not. I've been through all of those. But it's all things that people use as excuses to overeat.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    Oh, I misunderstood. So while you were losing your 80lb you dealt with the death of a loved one, a nasty divorce (which generally means divorce involving kids), a stressful job situation plus the other ridiculous things you mentioned in the same sentence (which are everyday, petty frustrations and like I said, not comparable)? Wow. If you have gone through all that and still logged all your food I guess you were justified in posting this.
  • caitology
    caitology Posts: 50
    Options
    I never got the impression that she implied all of the above referenced situations were of equal importance. She just made a list of excuses people use to not eat well or exercise, not in any particular order. She also never implied that all were happening at once. I applaud you for putting words in her mouth though. /eyeroll
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Of course not. I've been through all of those. But it's all things that people use as excuses to overeat.
    I've never heard that as an excuse before. I've heard parties and indulgent restaurants as excuses, not things of the above nature. If people are eating because of the above, that would be emotional eating, not over-eating. Two very different things.

Also, being through something does not mean you are able to speak on behalf of other people's experiences. Maybe you were able to cope with the above circumstances, but some people find themselves struggling with emotional eating when they face a lot of stress, which is not an excuse. It's an illness/mal-adaptive coping mechanism, just like alcoholism is.
    But think of it this way... your eating and exercising is THE ONE THING that YOU can control.

I'm pretty sure this mentality is the start of disordered eating habits for many. Just saying.
  • angiez93
    angiez93 Posts: 63
    Options
    Whoa, y'all need to stop stirring the damn pot. It's a bit annoying really, to turn a positive/thought provoking post into something negative.

Anyway. I love this - and I was just thinking about it today. When things feel most out of control I am so grateful to at least be able to control myself. In all ways :) not just diet and fitness, but my attitude and actions as well. Thank you for posting!
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    There's a little thing to keep in mind... Life can suck. You lose loved ones, your job is a mess, you have a nasty divorce, your kids drive you nuts, your husband/boyfriend keeps bringing in sweets... It's very easy to use those as excuses. I've done it. I'd wager that most of us have done it.

But think of it this way... your eating and exercising is THE ONE THING that YOU can control. Everything might fall apart around you, but what you eat and how you exercise is one thing you can control. Don't let it go to waste... and just think of how great you'll feel in 6 months or one year to have succeeded in doing just this one thing for yourself.

I actually understand what you are saying, or trying to say! You are correct all of those things together or apart can cause you to overeat I've read 1000 comments by overweight/obese people as to how those type of life ordeals have been their excuse. I appreciate what you are trying to say here and I agree, many times I have seen people say "I was forced to eat..." B.S! YOU control YOUR body it is the only thing you can control, or at least attempt to control and develop good habits.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a different stance here. I congratulate you for your loss. However, when a person is dealing with a medication change that affects your mental health YOU do NOT always have control. Eventhough you know in your brain that eating is not the answer sometimes it just isn't strong enough to not emotionally eat. I swim over 3 miles a week plus other exercise which are the only things that keep me sane but it does not stop that overwhelming urge to feel better and sometimes the taste of good food helps.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    I never got the impression that she implied all of the above referenced situations were of equal importance. She just made a list of excuses people use to not eat well or exercise, not in any particular order. She also never implied that all were happening at once. I applaud you for putting words in her mouth though. /eyeroll

Thanks for the eye roll. But I think someone posting a 'you have control' thread using extrene examples is ridiculous. I have read some of of OP's previous posts and am pretty sure she hasn't recently suffered a bereavement or a divorce. Mostly she posts about being mad that she can't eat what she likes at The Cheesecake Factory...Big issues.
    But hey, I eye roll you back for your 'impression' and white knighting of a person with no ability to think before she posts.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    OP- I agree completely!
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Tequila what give you the right to be rude at someone else's opinion. Your immaturity was showing in your childish language.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    You guys are touchy. Maybe she could have presented it better to some, butits the thought that counts. If yall still wanna make excuses go ahead. But man, yall are sensitive.
  • caitology
    Options

Thanks for the eye roll. But I think someone posting a 'you have control' thread using extrene examples is ridiculous. I have read some of of OP's previous posts and am pretty sure she hasn't recently suffered a bereavement or a divorce. Mostly she posts about being mad that she can't eat what she likes at The Cheesecake Factory...Big issues.
    But hey, I eye roll you back for your 'impression' and white knighting of a person with no ability to think before she posts.
    I haven't read any of her previous posts, nor do I care to. My focus was you twisting her statement and attacking her for something she didn't imply. But go ahead, continue being an asshat.
  • caitology
    Options

I haven't read any of her previous posts, nor do I care to. My focus was you twisting her statement and attacking her for something she didn't imply. But go ahead, continue being an asshat.

Wow. Are you old enough to be on this forum? I don't really care to engage with people like you, but next time you lose a loved one, or go through a divorce, let's see what you say when some Internet idiot tells you its no excuse for eating too much. And compares it to every day occurences. Clearly you are both a pair of lovely, emotive women. You should meet up.
    That's the best you've got? Please, take a look in a mirror. Using food for comfort is a huge reason a lot of people, including myself, are even on MFP. I'm familiar with using unfortunate events and even daily occurrences as excuses to overeat, which is how I initially got to 290 lbs. Part of growing up and being responsible for your body is learning that you don't need to comfort yourself with food when things go poorly. She could've worded the original post in a better way, but her point wasn't a bad one.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I think the OP makes a great point, and I can't even fathom people getting upset about it.

I think it is important to remember that even as our lives seemingly spin out of control, we are still in control of ourselves (outside of legit mental illness) and should try to keep that in mind.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

I completely get where you are coming from. We can't control what happens to us, but we can control how we react to it.

My husband passed away five years ago and in a short amount of time I put on 36 pounds. It was a combination of emotional eating and making excuses. My biggest excuse was that I hated cooking for myself so it was a lot easier to stop at McDonald's on the way home from work.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Oh wow. Try to post something supportive and you even get bashed for that. Jeeze. Some people on these forums just have no life (and like stalking me apparently). I mean, even less of a life than me I guess :laugh:
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Wow..no good deed goes unpunished..